The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WineAdvisor: Disappointing book on American wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WineAdvisor: Disappointing book on American wine

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Hoke wrote:I figure he just took all that research he already had and shifted it into a book format. Sounds to me like he did more cut and paste of lists though, and left it at that, rather than going into the stories and the people in rich detail. Hey, a list is a list is a list, and any list gets old fast.

Well, it's a little worse than that, because it's not a matter of not going into "rich" detail, it's a matter of not going into "any" detail.

I guess one of the questions I'd ask is: If Kevin Zraly's name wasn't attached to it, would the book have been worth printing in the first place?

I'd say so, for the reasons previously expressed: With the combination of shipping opening up (at least to some extend) with a growing excitement about small-farm wineries, people are starting to take Eastern wines (east of the Rockies, I mean) a little more seriously. Hell, Kentucky has something like 50 bonded wineries now, not all operational and mostly not memorable, but still. For the first time in my lifetime, Louisville wine shops in general - and some restaurant lists - are starting to include Kentucky and Indiana wines, and not laughing about it.

book length treatises.

You have to look at this volume, Hoke. It's not book-length. It really could almost have been incorporated in a magazine story, fleshed out to pocket-book size with label pictures and white space.

In short, he's a good---a very good---performer live.

I have heard nothing but good about Kevin. He's a great educator, and he's supposed to be a great guy. That's why I found this thing so profoundly disappointing.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:50 pm

What a load of fun the WLDG book would be. And we could start with a chapter on "Rieslings of the East and Midwest" for which we will be doing significant research this weekend. Now, if Robin agrees to set aside 4/10 of one percent of all royalties to be divided equally among all "helpers" we can each write off our trip to NiagaraCOOL. How about it, Robin?
-OW
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Robin,
This idea has taken on a life of its own. Maybe this idea needs its own thread to gauge the interest. I wish I could be at Niagra Cool with the rest of you. I hope you all enjoy yourselves!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Eve Lejeune

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 am

Paris, France

by Eve Lejeune » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:Hi, Eve! It's nice to see you ... seems you and RR have both been kind
of scarce lately.

Here are two books. Alas, I haven't read either one, but they come well
recommended.

Hi Robin. Thanks for the answer and the two books. Sorry to have been
scarce but we're very busy. I travel a lot in Europe, France and the
States and RR seems to be glued to his computer most of the time. We
should be more active in July when things calm down.
BTW, great idea to have you write a book on American wines!
Best, Eve
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:54 am

to add to the list: i believe that hudson cattel is coming out with a book on the history of wine in the eastern u.s. he is a careful researcher who has been intimatly involved with the eastern industry for many years; and is the publisher of the monthly magazine - wine east.
david creighton
Previous