The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WooHoo....Magnets&Wine In LATimes...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WooHoo....Magnets&Wine In LATimes...

by TomHill » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:53 am

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WooHoo....Magnets&Wine In LATimes...

by Randy Buckner » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:28 pm

I can't believe they print this stuff.... :roll:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Just incredible! There's one born every minute, but it's amazing to see a paper at the LA Times' level letting it go by that unskeptically. Didn't it occur to any of those wine geeks that they were being hornswoggled by a sales guy? Didn't they even suggest doing it blind?

It's particularly funny because this guy appears to be the latest in a growing string of quacks who claim that they just "invented" this device.

Hooboy ... I hope this doesn't bring that guy with the cosmic crystal thingie that I tested last year back out of the woodwork!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:30 pm

This is why the LA Times is the LA Times. It's not the Washington Post or the NY Times. It's a third rate paper in a first rate city. Philadelphia has the same problem with the Inquirer and the Daily News. Philly is another great city devoid of a decent public press.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Will this stuff NEVER go away??

Can't believe the guy who wrote that didn't even talk to a chemist, physicist, or anyone else who could put a scientific perspective on it.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Disagree......

by TomHill » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:45 pm

"This is why the LA Times is the LA Times. It's not the Washington Post or the NY Times. It's a third rate paper in a first rate city. Philadelphia has the same problem with the Inquirer and the Daily News. Philly is another great city devoid of a decent public press."

I read the LATimes on-line every day and hardly would consider it a 3'rd rate paper. In particular, their Food Section is absolutely first rate, w/ some very good writers. Russ Parsons is one of the best food writers around and I never miss a thing of his. And many of their wine columns are very/very good.
Jeez... the guy's a wine writer, not a rocket scientist. Waaay out of his element here in this column. He's written other wine articles before where I thought he should have gotten some competent/scientific input, rather than taken the word of some Somm from some chi-chi restaurant.
Tom
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Re: Disagree......

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:51 pm

I get the Washington Post delivered to my front doorstep. I suppose with the exception of the NY Times and the WSJ, everything else seems cutrate these days. Especially the LA Times and the Inquirer. Why major league cities don't get papers of top drawer quality is beyond me. Maybe the LA Times is only scond rate, but LA deserves a better paper than one that would print drivel like this!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Oh, no! Not again!

I've already spilt far too much electronic ink explaining why this sort of thing can't possibly work unless you're willing to throw out all the current laws of physics and chemistry. And why anecdotal evidence isn't worth the paper it's printed on (or the paper it's printed in?).

I'll just repeat my tag line: Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Just think ... for those who like to spend their money on these magnetic wonder devices, they can also purchase equally effective products for the fuel injection systems of their automobiles. :wink:

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:53 am

Quite amazing that people will shell out good money to bung a magnet around their fuel line and get amazing increases in economy when the magnet splits up the fuel that has 'clustered' together. :D

And you can get some for $5 odd, or pay $16 for the same thing that has been given a different part number and is therefor designed specifically for YOUR model of car.

Or a simple resistor that will give you a 20BHP increase in power! :o :lol:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hooboy ... I hope this doesn't bring that guy with the cosmic crystal thingie that I tested last year back out of the woodwork!

You too, huh? I made a jest about Wilhelm Reich and orgone in a thread about that device last year (on another forum) and received quite a hostile and condescending email from him. After I told him that I'd consider any further communication from him harassment and report him to his ISP, he quieted down (thankfully).

Mark Lipton
(currently inserting my arm into an NMR spectrometer to cure my tendonitis)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Disagree......

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:37 pm

TomHill wrote:"This is why the LA Times is the LA Times. It's not the Washington Post or the NY Times. It's a third rate paper in a first rate city. Philadelphia has the same problem with the Inquirer and the Daily News. Philly is another great city devoid of a decent public press."

I read the LATimes on-line every day and hardly would consider it a 3'rd rate paper.

Yup. That epithet more rightly goes to the Bay Area's sad collection of newspapers. Granted, I haven't read the LA Times on a regular basis since leaving the area in '81, but at the time I'd have placed it with the NY Times and the Wash Post as one of the best papers in the US. In particular, its coverage of Latin American political developments was far better than I saw in the NY Times. Those issues I've read in recent years haven't looked appreciably worse, but I suppose I'll have to take a closer look when I'm next in the area.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Hooboy ... I hope this doesn't bring that guy with the cosmic crystal thingie that I tested last year back out of the woodwork!

And here you told me that thing turned you into a sexual Tyrannosaurus. I just don't know who to believe anymore. 8)
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Robing Garr wrote:Hooboy ... I hope this doesn't bring that guy with the cosmic crystal thingie that I tested last year back out of the woodwork!

Robin, I think it was actually called the "Cosmic Sucker-Money Seperator". Speaking of it, where you successful in ripping of his design for you own evil purposes as he claimed, or did you finally give up and ship it back? :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Speaking of it, where you successful in ripping of his design for you own evil purposes as he claimed

We'll launch any day now. I'm just waiting on a little VC funding ...

or did you finally give up and ship it back? :)

It was actually on its way when we had the debate, but I was having too much fun to tell him so. Funny, he never did acknowledge receiving it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:08 pm

Some may despise the resurrection of this thread. My apologies to you all. I just received my weekly food and wine email from the Bawlmor Sun. This article was prominently featured. Yech! Another reason to get the Washington Post, even if you live in the Baltimore area!