The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '75 Prieure Lichine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '75 Prieure Lichine

by wrcstl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 am

One common thing I have found with wines over 25 years is that when immediatelly opened they seem void of a defined flavor profile and quite bland. It takes 15+ minutes of swirling and then the wine takes on some weight and shows its stuff.

'75 Prieure Lichine: As expected the wine when opened needed some time and was revealing nothing. After about 15 minutes it began to open up. The wine had shed all of its tannins, was soft, med to light body with a nice finish. There was no indication this wine was getting old or oxidized but am afraid that the tannins and fruit had beaten themselves to death and both dimenished with little energy left to wow the consumer. A fun wine as I love old Bordeaux, very cereberal, but not one to impress a person used to big fruit. I save these wines to drink with my wife. Went well with her Walleye and my pork chop with light mushroom sauce.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '75 Prieure Lichine

by Jenise » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:53 am

Walt, we drank our last 79 a few weeks ago. Judging by your note I would say the 79's are faring a little better, though the palate on this one never quite filled out to match the nose.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: '75 Prieure Lichine

by Covert » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:18 pm

Yes, the vintage of the long, pyrrhic battle between tannin and fruit. What a great way to put it, Walt.