The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Sicilian red I like!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: A Sicilian red I like!

by Ian Sutton » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Mark Kogos wrote: Did you try the Pithos or the CdV?

The Pithos - One of the attendees brought over a picture (that Jamie Goode had taken - which should be on his site) showing the Amphorae embedded in gravel to help keep the temperature stable (and also IIRC to allow the natural flow of water from an underground stream to help cool the wine as it fermented).
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm

I think this is the pic, scroll down a tad....>

http://www.wineanorak.com/blog/labels/sicily.html
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 am

Tim York wrote:I share the admiration of others for the unique finesse, in Sicily, coming from Etna - see my notes on Terre Nere a few months ago.

I am glad to hear about a less internationalised Nero d'Avola. I have often felt that this variety had potential if only the producers would let it speak its own language.

Tim you should consider tracking this wine down if it appeals. I was at dinner last week and they had it on the wine list. I talked the group I was with into trying it. To a man they were all impressed. As for Sicily, I would love to get there one day. I have covered most of Italy over time but have yet to there. I do have a friend with a large wedding function centre near Etna however who have put out a standing invite. With a wedding in the north around June this year, I am hopeful perhaps this will be the year.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I think this is the pic, scroll down a tad....>

http://www.wineanorak.com/blog/labels/sicily.html
Bob just picked up the link. Heavens that makes me want to travel. I see there is also info on Planeta. Their top white, the Cometa, is gorgeous.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 am

Mark Kogos wrote: As for Sicily, I would love to get there one day. I have covered most of Italy over time but have yet to there.

Ditto. Sicily is my still unrealised European travel dream. Not just for the wine and food. Sicily still bears visible traces of an unbelievable variety of cultural influences; Greek, Roman, Arabic, Norman, Spanish, Cosa Nostra and so on. I would need my car to bring back wine, olive oil and other produce. It's a long way dragging down the Italian peninsular on a badly maintained autostrada or crossing the Med on a car ferry.
Tim York
Previous