The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 CdPs, plus CdR blanc and Loire sticky

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2001 CdPs, plus CdR blanc and Loire sticky

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 am

Our friend Oswaldo invited us for a tasting to 2001 CdPs last night. As always, he was a great host, providing excellent cheeses and a delicious salad, making sure evening was paced so we had a chance to leisurely try -and retry- each wine, and making sure the guest list was interesting.

A white starter as we gathered:
2003 Tardieu-Laurent "Guy Louis" Côtes du Rhône blanc
The combination of Tardieu-Laurent, '03, & white Rhône made me sure that this would be flabby, but by the standards of white Rhône I'd have to say this had decent acidity. Some light coconut/vanilla notes (not as oaky as some T-Ls), rather fragrant peach fruit with a floral component. As noted before, I'm not a big fan of Marsanne, Roussane, or Viognier, so take my lack of enthusiasm with a grain of salt. B

2001 Raymond Usseglio " Cuvée Girard" Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Nose is red berries and a little herb, but palate is quite closed at first. After a while opened up. Jammy kirsch fruit and a little vanillin oak. Pleasant enough, but not especially distinctive. B

2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Surprisingly open, with crushed red berry fruit overlaid with aromas of leather, warm climate herbs, and meat. Evolves with warm black plum fruit alongside the raspberry/cherry, with some black pepper. Typical, structured, complex. Excellent CdP - I don't actually remember a young CdP I've ever liked more, though it certainly has a future. A-/A

2001 Cuvée du Vatican " Sixtine Réserve" Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Tannic and dense. Pretty oaky, though there is a lot of ripe red fruit buoying it up. Certainly impressive, if not my style of CdP. B+/B

2000 Phillippe Delesvaux "Clos de la Guiberderie" Coteaux-du-Layon-St.Aubin
A little bit of a paradox- how can a wine be heavy on the botrytis and short on the complexity? Immediate hit of noble rot, but this is a one-trick pony.
Honey and apricots, but short on finish for a dessert wine. B

A fun night with an interesting group, good food, and excellent conversation (on the physical vs. the metaphysical, Lacan and language, Anglo-Saxon vs. European sensibilities, whether the host should show restraint if a guest is an idiot, and more topics). Thanks Oswaldo.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2001 CdPs, plus CdR blanc and Loire sticky

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:45 am

how can a wine be heavy on the botrytis and short on the complexity?

Isn't that the nature of the beast? Too much botrytis and all you have is sweet thick jam. Not to mention that if you have uninspired grapes/plots, merely letting them hang until they rot will not produce complexity.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2001 CdPs, plus CdR blanc and Loire sticky

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Rahsaan,
makes sense. I guess that I've got a distorted view of dessert wines. Only about 4% of my cellar, and less than that of my actual drinking. I'm used to a lot of complexity in botrytized dessert wines, but I guess my samples aren't really representative. This is one of the few dessert wines I ever bought without consulting the geeks!