The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Poll-ish, What wine(s) in your cellar are you most excited about opening?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Poll-ish, What wine(s) in your cellar are you most excited about opening?

by JoePerry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:21 am

Every few years this question gets asked and the responses are always interesting.

So, what wines in your cellar are you the most excited about cracking and why? (not a platform to brag, as the answers always range from the elite, to edifying, to obscure - and interestingly enough - usually those who have the most extensive cellars are more interested in the latter)

Personally, I'm most excited about:

1) 2000 La Tache: I've only had La Tache once and it was a '55 that was tragically OTH.
2) 1988 R Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco Reserva: These are always my favorite white wines and I've yet to try the '88.
3) 1996 Bartolo Mascarello: While I've already had it, I'm even more excited to try this in 15 years than the 96 Monfortino or 96 Giacosa Riserva.
4) 1995 Leroy Clos de Vougeot: despite the controversy, I dig Leroy and don't often get to drink them.
5) 1985 Contino Reserva: I haven’t had this vintage of Contino before - has Plotnicki ever been wrong?

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Poll-ish, What wine(s) in your cellar are you most excited about opening?

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:23 am

Interesting thought Joe, although it is a bit of a manliness contest. Anyway, I'll answer.

1) 2001 DRC Richebourg - Why? Well isn't it obvious? Plus I have really liked the 2001 vintage in Burgundy, and I can't wait for it to mature. Maybe you and I can enjoy it in our retirement Joe.

2) 1998 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Eiswein - Great year for eiswein, best producer in Germany - 'nuff said

3) 1987 Vega Sicilia Unico - not the best vintage for Unico, but it's Unico

4) 1963 Fonseca - this one burns my fingertips every time I am in the cellar

5) 1999 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo - just so I can have it alongside Joe's '96

6) 2000 Trimbach Riesling CFE VT - 'cause the '90 was sooooooo good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am

My top 5:

1. 1993 Pajzos Eszencia Tokay
2. 1964 Bual Madeira (My birth year)
3. Terrantez Madeira
4. 1994 Vega Sicilia
5. Vega Sicilia Reserva Especial
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:35 am

1. 1996 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux
2. 2000 Graham's VP
3. 1998 Anselma Barolo
4. 2000 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnerhur Spatlese
5 2002 d' Angerville Clos des Ducs
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:54 am

Dammit Joe! The only way I can keep from drinking some of my wines is to forget I have them. Exercises like this force me to look under the dust and when I do that I get tempted to open something I shouldn't. Herrrre my precccioussssss....

1. '96 Monprivato - because I don't have the Bartolo or the Giacosa riserva (but Joe does...mwahhhahahahaa)
2. '99 Merryvale Profile - because we bought this on our honeymoon and at the time it was quite a leap for us to spend more than $30 on any wine that we werent going to consume immediately. This wine drove me to get our first lil wine fridge.
3. '90 Chave - a wonderful gift from Anonymous Donor that I'm very excited to open but know that I should wait a few (many?) more years.
4. '97 Chapoutier Le Bernardine CdP - Lill and I had this on our first date and I finally found another bottle of it. The recent reviews are only average at best and it was never a really great wine but it will be fun reminiscing when we open it.
5. Flight of 3:1995 - Muga Prado Enea, La Rioja Alta 904 GR, CVNE Vina Real GR - This will be a fun tasting in 10-15yrs.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:36 am

Well the only one burning holes for me is the 1968 Mastrobernadino Tarausi Riserva, because I've heard so much about it being the Holy Grail of aglianico. Very curious about it and cannot wait to pop it open. But what would pair with it??
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Poll-ish, What wine(s) in your cellar are you most excited about opening

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:38 am

JoePerry wrote:So, what wines in your cellar are you the most excited about cracking and why?

Wow, what a tough question, especially since my cellar inventory isn't at hand at the mo. I'd say that necessarily all of those wines would be singles, since multiple copies lessens the sense of anticipation:

1. 1982 Gruaud-Larose (a gift from my wife before she was, and a wine that has bounced from NYC -> CA -> IN; I want to see how well it's survived)

2. 1983 Ch. Margaux (my return gift to Jean, similarly traveled, and our only 1er Cru)

3. 1999 Chave Hermitage (Thanks again, Robin! I love Chave's Hermitage and can no longer afford it, so this'll be a special treat; I expect to crack it open on my 80th Birthday :wink: )

4. 1989 Beaucastel (It was fantastic in its youth, but I love my CdP at maturity; how long can I wait before opening my last bottle?)

5. 2004 Clos de Briords (OK, this isn't a single, so shoot me; a wine from my son's birth year, and one that I will use to see what aged Muscadet is all about)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:00 am

A 2003 Dow--my only '03 Port and one I purchased by accident (clicked wrong line on an internet purchase and didn't catch it until I opened the shipment). If I open this beauty when it is in its prime then I will have enjoyed many more years of fine wine.

The 2003 Gros Frere Richebourg. Many questions about this vintage. By the time I crack into these I'll know whether I made the right choice.

2002 Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ere Trie Clos du Bourg: great producer, great vintage, but a long wait.

2001 Arcadian Gary's PN. My first Arcadian, I'm anxious to try the "other" camp. A few more years though.

1997 Il Greppone Mazzi BdM or 1991 Comte Armand Pommard Epeneaux--Father's Day.
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:20 am

In about a year:
2004 Kosta-Browne RRV Pinot Noir -- to try a good new California producer.
In about ten years:
2001 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese goldcap : As Michael Broadbent has said "One expects perfection from JJ in a perfect year..."
Soon:
1993 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr auslese on our wedding anniversary. Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:21 am

Hmmmm....there are only two that offhand rise above all the others for me, a 1986 Petrus and a 1900 Madeira. Before last night (where it got dispatched) I might have added a 94 Silverado Reserve Cab--Silverado was kind of "our winery" when we were dating and I bought this for the sake of sentiment. And it will satisfy on that level, but I also expect it to tell us how far our palates have come.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Joe

My parents are visiting from Philly and my oldest son is graduating from high school this week so it will be a bit of a celebration. I plan on opening a Jose Dhondt blanc de blancs, an '89 Muga Prado Enea and a '98 Jasmin Cote Rotie to drink with my folks. While excited by the wines, they are secondary to the family getting together.

Cheers,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:40 pm

I don't have the vintage on some of these with me:

1. 1999 Mugnier Chambolle Musigny Fuees (I have two bottles)--I like the finesse and elegance of C-M These were purchased as a wedding gift for a wedding that never took place so I will be the one opening them.

2. a Girardin Corton-Charlemagne probably 2001 or 2002

3. a 2002 Gunderloch Riesling Auslese Goldkap (I loved the regular Auslese so I'm taking John Trombley's word for it that I will love the Goldkap even more) It's a 375 ml. bottle.

4. 2004 Wiliams-Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (one I've never tried and look forward to sharing with friends in a couple years--again 2 bottles on hand)

5. a Chateau Lafite from a so-so vintage in the 90's (curious what a top growth can deliver in a less than stellar vintage and can't afford a bottle from a premium vintage) This may be opened in the next year or two

Interesting that I ended up with two whites and three reds.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:19 pm

I hope Francois weighs in on this one.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Mark S wrote:Well the only one burning holes for me is the 1968 Mastrobernadino Tarausi Riserva, because I've heard so much about it being the Holy Grail of aglianico. Very curious about it and cannot wait to pop it open. But what would pair with it??

Wow, Mark, a 38-year-old Taurasi would be tunneling its way out of my storage too! Age may have softened it considerably, so you might want to go simple and easy on the food pairing. Off the top of my head, grilled pork chops with herbs come to mind, maybe with a cheese-mushroom pasta dish. Could also try solo. In any case, please post a WTN!
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Nifty question, Joe! Only two bottles for me:
1) 1973 Tokaji Aszu 4 Puttonos by Monimpex (the old state producer under Communism). Purchase price was $2.79.
2) 2002 Ch. Lafite Rothschild. This represents the only bottle of first growth juice that I've in my cellar. Purchase price was $99.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Mark S wrote:Well the only one burning holes for me is the 1968 Mastrobernadino Tarausi Riserva, because I've heard so much about it being the Holy Grail of aglianico. Very curious about it and cannot wait to pop it open. But what would pair with it??

Me???? :D

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Well, I look most forward to the '01 Haut-Brions I plan on opening for our 20th & 30th anniversaries (or the Trotanoys, Dujac Charmes-C, and Armand Rousseau CdR that are my backups).

Next would be the '59 Caillou Creme de Tete and Ferrari dessert Primitivo for Betsy's 50th.

But in opening soon the '83 Cheval Blanc is most exciting/nervewracking.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Poll-ish, What wine(s) in your cellar are you most excit

by Saina » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:51 pm

2001 DRC Richebourg .... 1987 Vega Sicilia Unico - not the best vintage for Unico, but it's Unico

Great stuff! Almost worth the prices (= joke). Richebourg was an immensely beautiful wine; and I also like the 2001 vintage very much: ripe but very savoury. But I would imagine it's shut down. The Vega Sicilia was also really nice when I tried it about a year ago. Though it's not the best Unico as you say, I still think it needs quite a bit of age.

2000 Graham's VP

Superb! I wish I had a case or two.

97 Chapoutier Le Bernardine CdP - Lill and I had this on our first date and I finally found another bottle of it. The recent reviews are only average at best and it was never a really great wine but it will be fun reminiscing when we open it.

But still a nice wine. I enjoyed it. Not all wine needs to be great and this was thoroughly enjoyable.

1982 Gruaud-Larose

It's survived well - deliciously bretty. Though I've mostly thought the vintage too warm, portly, not acidic enough, this wine I really liked - and not only because it's my birth year wine :)

A 2003 Dow--my only '03 Port and one I purchased by accident (clicked wrong line on an internet purchase and didn't catch it until I opened the shipment). If I open this beauty when it is in its prime then I will have enjoyed many more years of fine wine.

I'd love to have such an accident in my cellar. This was one of my favourites of the 2003 ports I've tried. Niepoort rocks also, but this was very, very close.

a Chateau Lafite from a so-so vintage in the 90's (curious what a top growth can deliver in a less than stellar vintage and can't afford a bottle from a premium vintage) This may be opened in the next year or two

Since 94 they've only done great wines. If your's is the 94 you're one lucky ba****d!

This sounds like I'm bragging, sorry. I have been lucky over the past year to taste some incredible wines. But some of the ones I most want to try from my cellar are actually pretty "humble" wines: I have a couple of older (compared to what is generally available) Pfalz wines from Biffar (a 96 and 98 Deidesheimer Grainhübel Riesling Spätlese Trocken); also a couple of cheap Karthäuserhof Kabinetts (1998s); Chérau-Carré's Muscadets (though I've drunk a fair bit already, I'm just dying to open one more ;) ). In a way I am really happy I get to get tastes of some expensive, big names, because I realise that what brings me most joy are actually the Rieslings, the Musars and the Muscadets - all relative bargains. I also have a few older vintages of Haut-Bailly (78, 85, 86) which I want to open as this house makes IMO a lovely old style Graves - unspoofulated.

Cheers,
Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Both times I've had this wine it has been top notch. I'd suggest something light (quail?) and be sure to use a long worm since this bottle has the longest cork you'll ever see. While both bottles I tasted were holding, I'd drink within the next year.

Lucky you!

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting thought Joe, although it is a bit of a manliness contest. Anyway, I'll answer.

I agree that some of it borders on a peeing contest but many of us responded all over the spectrum (La Tache and Tondonia Blanco are like bookends of price in my cellar, but I can't wait to try both).

1) 2001 DRC Richebourg - Why? Well isn't it obvious? Plus I have really liked the 2001 vintage in Burgundy, and I can't wait for it to mature. Maybe you and I can enjoy it in our retirement Joe.

Great! When can we retire?!?

3) 1987 Vega Sicilia Unico - not the best vintage for Unico, but it's Unico

That's the nice thing about Unico, they don't make it in bad vintages! :D

Good list!

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:15 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:

2. '99 Merryvale Profile - because we bought this on our honeymoon and at the time it was quite a leap for us to spend more than $30 on any wine that we werent going to consume immediately. This wine drove me to get our first lil wine fridge.
3. '90 Chave - a wonderful gift from Anonymous Donor that I'm very excited to open but know that I should wait a few (many?) more years.
4. '97 Chapoutier Le Bernardine CdP - Lill and I had this on our first date and I finally found another bottle of it. The recent reviews are only average at best and it was never a really great wine but it will be fun reminiscing when we open it.

I love it. Your answers have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the wine, but of honeymoons, anonymous donors and first dates.
Wine is just fermented grape juice. The experience is what makes it more.
-OW
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Jenise......Petrus??? I guess YOU are drinking f%$#ing Merlot, eh??
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:43 pm

2000 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnerhur Spatlese

How long do you plan on holding this? Just wondering how long it will age.
Next