The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's your "house bubbly"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

Re: What's your "house bubbly"?

by Bonnie in Holland » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 am

For a reasonably priced Champagne NV, I like Drappier Brut. If going for a half bottle, then I grab a Laurent-Perrier Brut. cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 am

St.-Hilaire Blanquette di Limoux (for about $11 per bottle); Montaudon Brut Champagne NV (less often for sure, but at about $28, still reasonable for the dark exchange-rate days).
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 am

For half bottles -- Champagne Raymond Boulard Cuvée Réserve Brut NV

Full bottles -- Lanson Brut Black Label or whatever is on offer until I chance to go to Champagne and stock up on Boulard's Grand Cru Mailly Champagne
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 am

i am impressed by the large number of votes for vouvray sparklers. hadn't given them much thought until we had a glass before dinner at annes trent in chinon. just had to ask what their house bubbly was: ch. gaudrelle. so the next day we stopped there to get some. really good stuff. i understand it is imported by Kysela.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 pm

David Creighton wrote:i am impressed by the large number of votes for vouvray sparklers.

In retrospect, I wish I had mentioned that too in my "affordable" category. Vouvray sparklers, and really all the non-Champagne Cremant de ____ from France.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Either Moet White Star or a nice Prosecco, both NV. For special occasions, I usually have a Dom Perignon (from Costco) on hand. Did you know that, at least last year, Costco was the #1 retailer of Dom Perignon in the world?
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:57 pm

White Star? I keep running into this sweetie when they serve the cake at weddings. Can't say I look forward to it but I'll bet most once-in-a-while wine drinkers would prefer it 10-to1 to Dom.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 pm

No single house bubbly.... but generally NV offerings from Larmandier-Bernier, Taittenger, Billicart Salmon and Bollinger depending on what's available at good prices.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:29 pm

In the last couple of months, I have had the current release of the NV Nino Franco "Rustico" Prosecco from two different sources [one a restaurant, the other a retailer, about 250 miles apart], and was very, very impressed each time.

I don't know what the previous releases were like, or what any future releases might be like, but the one that's on the market right now is, quite frankly, just stunning.

And no more than about $15.

I seem to recall that it's on the Vin Divino line card.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:32 pm

While I'm not a big consumer of animated wines, I must say I am surprised that not a single aficionado selected Clicquot Yellow Label. It's one I have enjoyed.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:11 am

The Cliquot Yellow Label is actually my l;east favorite among all the big NV Champagnes. I don't doubt it's well made, but I have never liked the VC style.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Tryba

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:48 pm

by Peter Tryba » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 am

Pierre Peters NV Bl/Bl - house wine, but I'm almost out and looking for a new one.

The sorry tale of Clicquot these days is that it sells TOO quickly! There is not enough time spent in bottle before people start popping corks, so they're missing out on why the widow's wine is renowned. Blame my sister, she worked on the marketing campaigns during the early 90's that pushed Clicquot up to the same level of recognition as DP. :P
Wine Dude / Rock Star
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The Cliquot Yellow Label is actually my l;east favorite among all the big NV Champagnes. I don't doubt it's well made, but I have never liked the VC style.

Conventional wisdom also has it that its style changed (toward a more generic "upscale mass market" niche) after the company was acquired by Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH).
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 am

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The Cliquot Yellow Label is actually my l;east favorite among all the big NV Champagnes. I don't doubt it's well made, but I have never liked the VC style.

Conventional wisdom also has it that its style changed (toward a more generic "upscale mass market" niche) after the company was acquired by Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH).

I'm curious, changed how? That is, in terms of how it tastes, not how it is marketed . . .
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 am

an alternate explanation for the cliquot problem - also based on the fact that it is a huge seller - is the likelihood that they purchase additional wines 'sur latte' - i believe that is the expression used in champagne. wines ready for shipment bought by the pallet and labeled with the new owners label. it has long been said that for cliquot, it depends on what actually shows up. there probably are still good cuvee's and i'm sure some favored customers still get the real deal.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:28 am

Clint Hall wrote:White Star? I keep running into this sweetie when they serve the cake at weddings. Can't say I look forward to it but I'll bet most once-in-a-while wine drinkers would prefer it 10-to1 to Dom.

Clint - I have discovered that, while I most enjoy dry, still wines, I like Champagnes best when they are on the Extra Dry side. I think this comes from too many midnight Champagne toasts when no food was being served and that Brut just wore me out. Interesting wine article in today's Washington Post about Champagnes with a few that make Dom look like soda pop: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03413.html
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 am

I have a problem with spending large handfuls of loot on what my mind insists is frivolous wine.

I can't help it, my inner cellarmaster insists that anything over $X ('X' is a moving target that slowly moves upward as all wine prices escalate) must be red. Well, except for Montrachet, but that's an honourary red anyway.

And while I do greatly enjoy a spot of bubble once in awhile, I resolutely do NOT enjoy spending 'red wine' money for it. Every time I look at it, I couldn't help thinking - "If I hadn't been such an idiot that could have been a nice bottle of Ch. Rouge..."

So although I did splurge when our local liquor board overloaded the system for the real millennium in 2000/2001 and the faux millennium for those incapable of thinking it through (probably dazzled by any number they couldn't count on fingers and toes) in 1999/2000. When sales failed to move along by the minivan load, the board later cut prices to move the glut of bubbly and always keen for a bargain, I did load up on some nice 1989 and 1990 sparkle, much of which still resides in the cellar.

Sadly (for the state of the exchequer) She-who-must-be-obeyed has a hankering to drink bubble on occasion and I have to keep a sacrificial 'bait and switch' case of bubbly to distract her from the expensive stuff. After various experiments (she is always willing to submit herself to bubbly tasting in the interest of science) we settled on a vintage Cava - Segura Viudas at under $20

Which is a long-winded explanation for why the bubble of the day at Casa Spohn in usually Segura.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Clint Hall wrote:White Star? I keep running into this sweetie when they serve the cake at weddings. Can't say I look forward to it but I'll bet most once-in-a-while wine drinkers would prefer it 10-to1 to Dom.

White Star's basically an Extra Dry that they make just for the U.S. market, isn't it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:No single house bubbly.... but generally NV offerings from Larmandier-Bernier, Taittenger, Billicart Salmon and Bollinger depending on what's available at good prices.

Glenn

Glenn, as a Billecart Salmon fan, can I make you jealous that several months ago I cleaned out the local supply of the BS Brut Reserve at around $30 a bottle? One store had a bit of old stock at pre-dollarette prices and then threw a 25% off-everything sale. I obliged!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

by D Honig » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:21 pm

N.V. Segura Viudas Cava Brut Reserva Heredad I can usually pick it up for $17, it is at least a step better than "decent," and the bottle is always worth a conversation.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I can't help it, my inner cellarmaster insists that anything over $X ('X' is a moving target that slowly moves upward as all wine prices escalate) must be red. Well, except for Montrachet, but that's an honourary red anyway.

I suffer the same malady when it comes to spending over $30 for white wine (to my brain, $30 red is "cheap" but $30 white is expensive), but I don't consider great champagne just white wine. And I don't have a wife who needs to be drugged with champagne so she won't demand to see my inventory. Don't let the Segura get low, and perhaps you should lay in some alternatives lest she get bored and restless.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Jon, I agree. I hate to see brut Champagne dragged out in the middle of the night.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:45 pm

David Creighton wrote:an alternate explanation for the cliquot problem - also based on the fact that it is a huge seller - is the likelihood that they purchase additional wines 'sur latte' - i believe that is the expression used in champagne. wines ready for shipment bought by the pallet and labeled with the new owners label. it has long been said that for cliquot, it depends on what actually shows up. there probably are still good cuvee's and i'm sure some favored customers still get the real deal.

You're being too kind, David. Cliquot pledged to stop the "sur latte" practice a few years back then went ahead and kept doing it anyway. I think it was Greg Moore who said something like "It's like cheating on your fiancee--it's not illegal, but it is immoral." WIth production soaring way past 10 million bottles/year, the quality went out the window a long time ago.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:17 pm

[
Jenise wrote:
Glenn Mackles wrote:No single house bubbly.... but generally NV offerings from Larmandier-Bernier, Taittenger, Billicart Salmon and Bollinger depending on what's available at good prices.

Glenn

Glenn, as a Billecart Salmon fan, can I make you jealous that several months ago I cleaned out the local supply of the BS Brut Reserve at around $30 a bottle? One store had a bit of old stock at pre-dollarette prices and then threw a 25% off-everything sale. I obliged!

You have succeeded admirably. It is really hard to get Billicart Salmon in Virginia. They don't seem to have a distributor here. I'd love to buy some at $30 a bottle. Usually, I have to end up paying shipping as well. Enjoy it. I know I would.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
PreviousNext