The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Rabl Riesling Steinhaus (Langenlois-Kamptal, Austria)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2004 Rabl Riesling Steinhaus (Langenlois-Kamptal, Austria)

by Paul B. » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:38 am

My first Austrian Riesling in a long while already. This one has a plastic cork.

The 2004 Steinhaus Riesling by Weingut Rudolf Rabl is 12.5% alc./vol. and has a brassy-green, bright colour with plenty of effervescence clinging to the insides of the glass; some nice legs too. Aromas of sweet-pine/coniferous-forest with pineapply green-apple essence and just a very faint whiff of diesel. On the palate it's electrifyingly crisp and brightly acidic with lots of palate-tingling malic acid and expansive alcoholic warmth. Intensely invigorating and palate-jolting; bone-dry and highly persistent. The finish isn't long, though, and the wine seems to have more in the way of impressive structure than aromatic power. Excellent phenolic/astringent sensation on the tip of the tongue ... almost as if the wine went through some skin contact. This I like, and it's exactly what I would do when making any white wine.

I love the no-nonsense, dry and structured style of Austrian whites. This is wonderful Riesling.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Rabl Riesling Steinhaus (Langenlois-Kamptal, Austria)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 am

Rabl rousing again Paul?

Seriously, nice note.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:04 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Rabl rousing again Paul?

Would you expect any less of me? :lol:

I really liked this Riesling, but I have a few more lined up, including a Blaufränkisch and a Zweigelt. Austrian wines seem to be making quite a good showing at Vintages lately, and that has me going back often.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Hope the prices are better than here in the land of oilsands!! Many close to $28 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Bob, they were in the $20 range over here.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Paul B. wrote:Bob, they were in the $20 range over here.

Paul and Bob, if you'll forgive the intrusion I'll put in a plug for an importer/retailer of quality Austrian wines (run by an Internet acquaintance of mine) that has quite a few for under-$20 (and free shipping in some cases):

http://www.winemonger.com

It's a husband and wife operaton who bring in some excellent smaller producers and, although they are based in LA, they ship to NY (dunno about Canada). Of course, Riesling is typically more pricey in AT than GV and others, but even so they have Donaubaum's 2003 Federspiel, which I can vouch for.

Mark Lipton
(looking forward to seeing more '04s hit our market)
Last edited by Mark Lipton on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the info but up here do not think will be of benefit for us colonials.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 am

Paul B. wrote:My first Austrian Riesling in a long while already. This one has a plastic cork.

The 2004 Steinhaus Riesling by Weingut Rudolf Rabl is 12.5% alc./vol. and has a brassy-green, bright colour with plenty of effervescence clinging to the insides of the glass; some nice legs too. Aromas of sweet-pine/coniferous-forest with pineapply green-apple essence and just a very faint whiff of diesel. On the palate it's electrifyingly crisp and brightly acidic with lots of palate-tingling malic acid and expansive alcoholic warmth. Intensely invigorating and palate-jolting; bone-dry and highly persistent. The finish isn't long, though, and the wine seems to have more in the way of impressive structure than aromatic power. Excellent phenolic/astringent sensation on the tip of the tongue ... almost as if the wine went through some skin contact. This I like, and it's exactly what I would do when making any white wine.

I love the no-nonsense, dry and structured style of Austrian whites. This is wonderful Riesling.

I have just reread your great notes Paul B. We tasted this wine at a recent downtown affair, pairing food and wine. The Riesling was served with a pan-fried salmon fillet in a light creamy mustard sauce,on a bed of greens. Termendous match and many of the 16 participants voted it the wine match of the evening! This is a very good wine and the sooner we do a Wine Focus on Austria the better.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:12 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: the sooner we do a Wine Focus on Austria the better

I dunno...a Wine Focus on Austria huh? Does a little country that makes less wine than Gallo, even DESERVE a wine focus? Do they even MAKE wine there? I'd rather do a Focus on California Zinfandel. :roll:
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 am

Mark, that winemonger.com website has some good stuff! Have you come across Huber GV, the Obere Steigen. Have purchased the `05 after some local folks raved here in town!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:50 am

Bill Hooper wrote:

I dunno...a Wine Focus on Austria huh? Does a little country that makes less wine than Gallo, even DESERVE a wine focus? Do they even MAKE wine there? I'd rather do a Focus on California Zinfandel. :roll:

May my son, May! Although I wonder where it is written that we can't do two white in a row? It's kind of ridiculous. On the other hand, Austrian wines are perfect summer wines, don't you think?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:

May my son, May! Although I wonder where it is written that we can't do two white in a row? It's kind of ridiculous. On the other hand, Austrian wines are perfect summer wines, don't you think?

James, I like the way you think.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com