The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jaffurs MelvilleVnyd Viognier 2001.....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Jaffurs MelvilleVnyd Viognier 2001.....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:47 am

Tried this last night w/ my tomatoe/basil samwich:
1. Jaffurs Viognier MelvilleVnyd/SantaBarbaraCnty (15%; http://www.JaffursWine.com) 2001: Light gold color; beautiful/perfumey/fragrant fresh/spicy/peach/pear/Viognier quite minerally bit chalky/valve oil complex nose; tart rich/lush very spicy/pear/peach/Viognier rather minerally/chalky complex flavor; med.short lush/rich/tart bright/spicy/minerally peach/pear/Viognier finish; finishes a bit short but a beautiful Viognier w/ a nice minerality to it; wonderful aromatics. $32.00
1. Craig Jaffurs' whites have just been getting better & better over the last few yrs and I think he's making, consistently, some of the best Rhone whites. This one was one of the best I've had and one of the most Condrieu-like Viogniers yet from Calif. Great stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Jaffurs MelvilleVnyd Viognier 2001.....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:52 am

Craig seems to work magic with mineral and acid flavors in his wines--for my tastes, he's one of the best producers in that area. Though I'm mostly familiar with his whites, even one of his syrahs was noticeably one of the better wines at a blind tasting of around 20 mostly-Cal syrahs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov