The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: (WT101) 2002 Groth Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: (WT101) 2002 Groth Merlot

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I have a friend who is crazy about Harlan wines (where I think she's crazy to be crazy about them), and she would love this. It has that same kind of thick, velvetty oak.

Bob's getting good (I always make him guess): "It's not Australian or French, is it?" No. "Then it's Californian." Interestingly he couldn't get much further. Surprised that "Cabernet?" got a 'no', he shook his head as he considered syrah but never turned to merlot. That thick oak obscured all the ready clues, though eventually we could find some plummy fruit (nicely restrained, no fruitbomb here), coffee and chocolate notes. The tannins still rule the finish. Oakaphobes would hate it, but it's an interesting wine that has the weight and finish of a far more expensive wine than the $20 I paid for it, and it's aging nicely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: (WT101) 2002 Groth Merlot

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:48 pm

Jeez Jenise, I wouldn't attempt to justify the price of Harlan's cab but golly gee, it's a hell of lot better than a bottle of Groth Merlot IMHO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Lou,

I wasn't putting Groth at Harlan's level, but I can see where you thought that's what I meant. Let's say the merlot tasted like a $40 bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Lou,

I wasn't putting Groth at Harlan's level, but I can see where you thought that's what I meant. Let's say the merlot tasted like a $40 bottle.

Unfortunately $40.00 has become very cheap for a good bottle of cab in this valley. I was just having a little fun, it's about 100 degrees here in the valley today. Could be sunstroke?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:56 am

Lou, you poor thing, it's going to be even hotter there today according to the little thermometer thingie on my desktop. Isn't this a little early for that kind of heat down there?