The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Taint over til it's over

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

WTN: Taint over til it's over

by Patchen (Chicago) » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:45 am

<b>Tommaso Bussola 2001 Valpolicella Classico Superiore, "TB"</b>. When my case of the 2004 "BG" Valpo turned out to be from a shipment that was consistently off (reduced and disjointed) I was offered a few bottles of this as a (partial) exchange. Corked.

{muffled scream}

<b>Domaine de la Tourmaline 2004 Muscadet Sèvre et Main, Sur Lie</b>. Corked.

{gentle sobbing}

<b>Domaine de la Pepière 2004 Muscadet Sèvre et Main, Sur Lie</b>. Not the Briords. Tastes like wine, thank god. In fine form: focused, refreshing.

<b>Hippolyte Reverdy 2004 Sancerre</b>. Very good if slightly disappointing. I've been a fan of this wine in past years but found this one slightly dilute and just a touch softer than I recall, and than some other 04s I've had, including the Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy. Still, it suits its function well, complementing without overpowering the first new potatoes of the season, roasted and dressed with olive oil, sea salt, and a little sage.

cheers

Patchen
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: WTN: Taint over til it's over

by Dan Donahue » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 am

Please tell me that the bad '04 Valpo BGs were not the ones that Sam's had on its shelves a few weeks back.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:06 am

Hi Dan:

Here's what I can say for sure: (a) these didn't come from Sam's; (b) the first two bottles of this I did have <i>did</i> come from Sam's and they were both fine; but (c) that was a few months ago. You might try asking Sam's whether they're still on their first shipment. (Or, if you've bought, crack one and see how it is.) Let me know what you find out, once you've bought your fill; I'd love to get more of this if I could be confident in it.

cheers

Patchen
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Patchen--I first sampled the '04 Valpo BG at an Italian wine dinner back in March and liked it a lot. I also got to taste the '03 Bussola BG Recioto which was incredible. The wines were offered for sale after the dinner, but the tariff was way too high so I passed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the Recioto.

I did find the Valpo on the shelf at Sam's during the May Italian sale. (Sam's prices aren't as competitive since all the expansion so I hold off until the special sales--which are not a good as the old warehouse sales, but I digress). I'll try to open one in the next week or so. I wonder if your experience is due to bottle (vat?) variation or some handling problem.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:26 pm

Dan -- thanks. I haven't seen the 03 BG Recioto, although I did see some 2001 TB Recioto at Randolph Wine Cellars. On the Valpo, my suspicion is variation, not damage; but it's only a suspicion.

cheers,

Patchen