The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Corkers and a corky

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: 2 Corkers and a corky

by David Lole » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:15 am

Jeanneret Clare Valley Riesling 2002

12.5% A/V. Stelvin closure.

Another great example of 2002 Clare Riesling.

Medium straw/green. An enticing, youthful bouquet of citrus pith, lime, a little toast and emerging notes of petrol. The palate just sings with crunchy green apple and limey fruit, a touch of residual sugar nicely counterbalanced by lively acidity. Finishes crisp, clean and long. Excellent+. Drink now to 2012.

Zema Estate Family Selection Cabernet Sauvignon 1991

If this wasn't corked, I reckon from what is still intact this may be an excellent wine. NR.

St. Huberts Cabernet Sauvignon Barrel Select 1991

12.5% A/V. Cork closure. Superb level and virtually no seepage up the cork.

A brilliant offering, equivalent to a top Second Growth from a very good year. A beautiful crimson/garnet colour holding right to the edge. Wonderfully pure, savoury nose of superripe currants, blackberries, a subtle leafiness, cedary oak and a hint of licorice and spice box. Top shelf. The palate delivers an identical level of excellence - silky mouthfeel, perfect weight and a fantastic equilibrium difficult to emulate. Copious quantities of succulent fruit (aka the bouquet) mesh, seamlessly, with terrific fresh, bright acids and a gorgeous, melting fine tannin regime to produce a complete package. Finishes with such aplomb, I had to pinch myself and check that this was, in fact, from the Yarra Valley! Outstanding verging on Exceptional. What a wine! Although at the zenith, I can't see similarly kept bottles falling over in a hurry. Wow!
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: 2 Corkers and a corky

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am

Nice notes, David ... a shame about the corked item. I recall having an older St. Hubert's Cab at least once in Oz, and you're so right, it's one of the great ones ... and would be a revelation to a wine geek who believes that the huge Barossa Blockbuster style is all there is to Australia.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:11 am

Thanks Robin,

Over the years, the number of elegant, low alcohol Aussie Cabernets of great class would probably even surprise some of the most "renowned" overseas critics. :wink: Under Brian Fletcher this winery seriously kicked butt in the early 90's and although subsequent personnel/ownership changes haven't helped their cause, the potential exists to reproduce such quality.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 am

David Lole wrote:subsequent personnel/ownership changes haven't helped their cause

Remember the old song, "It's the same the whole world over"? :cry: