The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gaston-Chiquet 'Carte Verte Tradition' Brut NV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Gaston-Chiquet 'Carte Verte Tradition' Brut NV

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:37 am

Disgorged July 2005.

Apples, apples and more apples. Firm in structure, and actually seeming like it is closign down somewhat. Still, delicious, and full bodied (45% Meunier will do that). We bought this as our house Champagne, and at the rate we are going the house will shortly be dry. Great value at $25.99/bottle.

Paired with a mushroom risotto.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Gaston-Chiquet 'Carte Verte Tradition' Brut NV

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 am

David,
Where did you get Gaston for $25.99! That is highway robbery pure and simple! Is it a state secret? Did you have to kill someone? Was there some other unpleasentness involved? I am supremely jealous. A case at that price would not last long in our house. Quite frankly two cases should have been purchased! Good job!
Cheers!
James

You truly do live in Lothlorien!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:40 am

It was purchased as part of a direct import offering last year. I should have bought two cases. Unfortunately the price is no longer valid as the DI was long ago. We did pick up a few more bottles at a slightly higher price from Canal's in Hainesport, NJ. I don't know if there is any left.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:11 pm

The Gaston label has become popular for some reason. It doesn't get high points as far as I can tell, (that's a good thing from my perspective). We got turned on to it by one of the wine sellers at our BAWS. He had it shipped in for us as a favour and because he was getting some to. The next time we went it was out of our price range, even for champagne. The price nearly doubled in a year. If I found it for $25.99, I might think about selling my children, (of course the yougest is 14 and probably doesn't have much resale value).