The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Casillero dei Diablo Carmenere 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Casillero dei Diablo Carmenere 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:48 pm

From Concha y Toro. Central Valley.

Almost black in the glass.

Sweet, rich and spicy nose, with a bit of chocolate thrown in.

Quite rich and fat, thick (coating the inside of the glass), lots of Christmas cake spices, fleshy black cherry, blackcurrants, somewhat sweet, black licorice, tobacco, smoky, chocolate.

Tobacco, black licorice, rich fruit and some acidity on the moderately long finish.

The wasps seemed to like it as a few kept buzzing around my glass as I sat on the front porch enjoying my wine and watching life pass by.

A very big and rich wine for $11.95 Canadian. Needs a big and rich meal matched with it.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: Casillero dei Diablo Carmenere 2005

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:38 am

Nice note, Bruce. Very similar to my limited experience with Carmenere. I will say that when I've spent a little more ($15 US, say, on the Arboleda bottling), I've found a little more finesse, but pretty much the same profile you describe.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 am

Yup, Bruce is spot on with these notes (again). I remember a terrific Syrah from these guys a few years back?
Good price there Bruce, wish I could buy for that $ here!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I remember a terrific Syrah from these guys a few years back?

Thanks Bob. In Ontario, the Casillero line includes Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz Rose, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:11 am

I had one of these some time back, and loved it. I have another, just waiting for the right time/meal.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:59 pm

Hey Bruce - this sounds good. Must look out for it here.
Tried a bunch of Chilean Wines last week and some were very impressive, but unfortunately most of the Carmeneres left a bad taste. They had a dirty leather, bandaid, character (i.e. Brett) and the importer said he found it a common occurrence with Carmenere.
All the other wines I tasted were clean, though, including a dead-ringer (almost) Marlborough-style sauvignon blanc and a Rhonish syrah from Montes and a delicious pinot noir and a succulent juicy malbec from Cono Sur.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Bruce, You had better talk those NAFTA guys. Here in CA I found this wine for $6.99 at Trader Joe's in Concord and $7.99 at Wine Thieves Lafayette. :lol:

I went to a Concha y Toro two-hour presentation last year and, besides getting a lot of information on Chile and the partying habits of Banfi wine educators, I got to taste this particular wine in a somewhat older vintage and several others. I found it an excellent value for the prices for which I can obtain it here.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Bruce, You had better talk those NAFTA guys. Here in CA I found this wine for $6.99 at Trader Joe's in Concord and $7.99 at Wine Thieves Lafayette. :lol:

Don't get me started. I don't visit the US very often but, when I do, I usually spend my time wandering up and down wine store aisles weeping.

On the whole, wine prices in Ontario compare not too badly with their US counterparts (if you factor in exchange and duty and all the other stuff they ding you with at the border), but I am quite aware there are a number of notable exceptions.

Ah well, life is too short.

Cheers.