The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN/WT101: The `03 Cedar Creek Merlot, VQA Okanagan Valley, BC.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN/WT101: The `03 Cedar Creek Merlot, VQA Okanagan Valley, BC.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 pm

Well, I have finally got around to posting my tasting notes on this excellent Merlot. Cedar Creek rocks in my book, but that is nothing new on this forum! The Pinot Gris, the Ehrenfelser, I could go on. I was not sure what to expect from this red and had been eyeing the Reserve at $10 more!!

TN: `03 Merlot Cedar Creek--VQA Okanagan Valley, BC.

Opened for one hour and decanted. 14.5% alc

Colour. Not a lot of depth here, faint ruby-red and rim is already starting to show some light bricking. Minimum cling here.

Nose. Blueberry and blackberry burst out of the glass, just a hint of oak here and slight spice

Palate. My initial entry shows ripe black fruits and some toast. Excellent acidity and fair balance. There are some soft tannins still around on the finish and some oak. One of the better wines I have tasted this month in WT 101.
As it continues to breathe, some chocolate and white pepper. Hint of green olives is strange but not the cigar box. This is great stuff, pity you guys south of the border will miss out on this one!!

Cost was $21.00 Cdn.

http://www.cedarcreek.bc.ca
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WT 101: The `03 Cedar Creek Merlot, VQA Okanagan Valley, BC.

by Jenise » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:33 am

Cedar Creek's style isn't for everyone, but they sure do a good job at what they aspire to. Now if only they weren't so snooty about it at the winery.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov