The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine probation support group starts here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine probation support group starts here

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 am

So on my "musings" thread we identified someone (Jeff Dudley) who has managed to go a substantial amount of time without buying wine. I don't know if that's cold turkey, or just not buying enough to make it worth noting, but either way he's substantially reduced the contents of his cellar.

I know I need to do the same, but I am very good at rationalization & still have disposable income. So I figured why not start an on-line support group. It's sort of like an Open Mike for not buying.

The idea is that you post the latest thing that is tempting you & other folks give valid reasons why you should not buy it.

Everyone is welcome. If you stumble and buy you are still welcome. We're here for each other.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Wine probation support group starts here

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 am

I have a problem (the first thing you have to do is confess that you have a problem).

We had a magical bottle of 1998 Castello di Ama Vigna L'Apparita in Venice a year ago at a wonderful restaurant. There's a bottle of the same available at a store here in São Paulo for $225, not far from the US price (most unusual). Though horrendously expensive, I am tempted in remembrance of things past, even while fully knowing that I can't recreate Venice in São Paulo.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:55 am

Oswaldo - you have given the single best reason for not buying it. You're right - you cannot recreate Venice & the fact that you have hesitated means that the money will bother you & thus spoil whatever joy you hope ot get from the wine.

Don't do it my friend.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:00 am

I was strong. While not exactly wine related, I was offerred a bottle of Last Drop 1960 Scotch and passed it up. Only ~1300 bottles worldwide and just 18 for the entire state of Indiana. Perhaps the $1,999 price tag per 750 ml. had something to do with the decision. :? Of course, I was weak-kneed when they mentioned it was wax sealed and an extra cork was included. Plus they were throwing in a 50ml "airline" bottle.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Oswaldo - you have given the single best reason for not buying it. You're right - you cannot recreate Venice & the fact that you have hesitated means that the money will bother you & thus spoil whatever joy you hope ot get from the wine.

Don't do it my friend.

You have a gift.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:08 am

So I have a buying problem...

A few months ago I tasted the 2007 Leitz Rudeshimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett not once but twice. It's amazing. It's also $16. My resolve is crumbling...
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:13 am

David M. Bueker wrote:So I have a buying problem...

A few months ago I tasted the 2007 Leitz Rudeshimer Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett not once but twice. It's amazing. It's also $16. My resolve is crumbling...

Back in the days when I was married, I compulsively collected Venetian glass. My wife said "this is getting out of control, so since you are buying this stuff with our money, from now on for evey one you buy you have to sell one." I chafed. I counted. I found I had 40. So I kept that number constant over the next few years. Made my collection much better. It became known as the Rule of 40. How about the Rule of 400?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:20 am

More like the rule of 1300 but good thought.
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 am

What if you're not convinced you "have enough wine" yet?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 am

Jim Brennan wrote:What if you're not convinced you "have enough wine" yet?

Then maybe you're not on wine probation. Or you have not yet recognized the problem. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am

Wow, is it possible to be both a little embarassed and a little proud ?

Without planning to do so, I've been compensating for those really weak moments when temptation draws me strongly to a some bottle, some "favorite treasure", some deal. Like those siren calls currently drifting from cases of 2005 Gallet Cote Rotie, languishing in a nearby County.

One compensation is related exactly to what David has set up here. I tell someone of the yearning, right away; sometimes I it's here in the WLDG, but usually it's with a couple vinfriends in the area. Somehow it helps me.

But it's also helping to pour out remainders of bottles opened and not loved. You won't believe how this tolerance threshold helps me to not want to buy more.

I'm here for you all too. :wink:
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Then maybe you're not on wine probation. Or you have not yet recognized the problem. :wink:

I think it's the former, as I've recognized that I also lack some of the money I'd desire to further grow my collection. Accordingly, I think I need probation. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:48 am

Lack of funds, lack of space & lack of spousal (or significant other) support are all fine grounds for wine probation.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Okay, yes I have a buying problem and yes I have too much wine, but I only have like 80 bottles of Rhones many of which I shouldn't drink for years yet, and many of which aren't every day kind of wines. How can I provide for the future without buying?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Wine sales makes me weak but I only half imploded.

I walked by a couple of cases of 2000 Dow's Vintage Port which was on sale for $39.99 a bottle....for which I picked up four bottles.... namely because it was really a good deal.

then I walked right by a couple of cases of the 2004 Guigal St. Joseph Vigne des Hospice for $45 which was also a good price but kept on walking right to the cashier.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, yes I have a buying problem and yes I have too much wine, but I only have like 80 bottles of Rhones many of which I shouldn't drink for years yet, and many of which aren't every day kind of wines. How can I provide for the future without buying?

Ah - the cellar balance problem collides with the buying problem. First key question - what do you have that is ready to drink? Perhaps open a couple of those special Rhones to scratch that Southern French itch, then consider a trade with someone who might have something you want.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm being tempted by J Winery Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley at $34.99 a bottle. But I can't begin to get all my wine into the cooler unit and have boxes in the dining room, hallway between living room and kitchen, master bedroom and office room. That doesn't count shipments (generally only 3-4 bottles) coming from about four different wineries this fall and probably an additional 8-10 boxes being stored in the temperature-controlled warehouse at Carolina Wine Company. Part of the reason I will be doing a church fundraiser in November with tasting of Thanksgiving and dessert wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Space constraints are just another way to say "I don't need this..." We should all be thankful we do not have unlimited storage space. I sent 10 cases to offsite storage late last year & then realized that was a black hole where I could feed the habit.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:36 pm

The short answer is collecting almost anything can be addictive. Besides wine I collect/admire mechanical wristwatches. I know many collectors of watches. I know people with literally hundreds of wristwatches. They don't have enough wrists but still they are looking for more watches.... god knows the holy grail is out there. Wine is the same. I know many people with more wine than they ever will drink. I, personally, have had wine pass its prime because I couldn't drink it in time. Wine is both good and bad in this respect.... good, because once you drink one, it's gone. But bad because the very fact that one is gone provokes the true collector to go into replacement mode.

I think all you can do is set up artifical boundaries and try like hell to respect them. The space one is a good one. If all you can store well is, say 100 bottles, then try to respect that boundary. Otherwise, the only limit is your wallet.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So I have a buying problem...

(My emphasis)

This is not helpful to the rest of us, David!
Better to think of all those bottles of 2001 German that will demand your attention in the not so distant future. That cost you less.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Yes...I must spare my energy for the necessary jump in consumption.
no avatar
User

Patti L

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:22 am

Iowa

by Patti L » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:01 am

I have 2 cases being delivered tomorrow.

I just don't think you can have too much wine.

I know, I'm no help.
Patti
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:47 am

JC has a problem........But I can't begin to get all my wine into the cooler unit and have boxes in the dining room, hallway between living room and kitchen, master bedroom and office room.

Yeah, but one up on you JC maybe. Not only cases under the bed but guest bedside table consists of 4 old Claret boxes covered with an old sheet and a small table light that does not work!!!
Therapy has not worked for me...yet.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:30 am

From the time that I began the process of reducing my wine inventory, back in January, my stock has increased by 32 bottles. Right now I've got my eye on a nice 2000 D' Angerville Volnay. They have marked it down to $58 just to taunt me. I plan to have a bracelet made with "WWNRS" written on it - "What Would Nancy Reagan Say?".
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
Next