The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine probation support group starts here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

Re: Wine probation support group starts here

by Jeff_Dudley » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:06 pm

I confess to having ordered several cases of 2007 Haag and Donnhoff yesterday.

I was forced to do this you see ! Money seeks its own equilibrium. The recent dollar/euro valuations enabled me to help a friend meet his obligations overseas and finally spend a few euros there in my favor. It feels so good.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm

We're all doing a lousy job of this. :oops:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Not me! All I purchased was a 6-bottle pack of Chinese beer which I quickly gave away as a thank you gift to a couple of great team-playing busers at the Hat...a new venture I am involved with.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:14 am

This weekend, I almost didn't buy a Pizzolato Prosecco that was on sale for $10... but then I did.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:39 am

Add four more bottles to my violation of probation. This Saturday I went to a tasting at Carolina Wine Company. I picked up two Verget Chablis previously ordered (before this thread) and also acquired a Poggio del Falco, a Lar de Paula Rioja and two bottles of 2006 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir. Even though Gary Farrell winery was sold, I continue to like the style of the winery and had some 2005 direct from the vineyard.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Sam Platt wrote:This weekend, I almost didn't buy a Pizzolato Prosecco that was on sale for $10... but then I did.

Way to go Sam!
...almost
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Shame on you guys. I'm proud of myself for deleting the Garagiste, Premier Cru and Dee Vine emails that hit my inbox today without even bothering to look at them.

*Purchase-free for a week and proud* :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 am

Salil Benegal wrote:I'm proud of myself for deleting the Dee Vine emails that hit my inbox today without even bothering to look at them.

To my eye there weren't exactly many 'bargains' there. Unless you are calculating bargains from a Bill Gates perspective.

So in that sense you didn't miss much.

But there were plenty of delicious wines on offer, I am sure.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I have somewhat broken with my plan for staying within a monthly wine budget. I just paid cash for a deal on a mixed case of 2005 Allemand Cornas and a full case of 2005 Gallet Cote Rotie. All are fantastic wines, right in my favorite wheelhouse, of great vintage, and of terrific scarcity. My budget through March 2009 is pretty much shot.

It's back on a 100% no-wine spending probation, until April. Both Dawn and I are happy with this front-loading purchase, as I drove her crazy worrying that I was sure to be aced-out of being able to buy this stuff over the coming months.

So, let's see if I can stay on the wagon. Again.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Jeff_Dudley wrote:I have somewhat broken with my plan for staying within a monthly wine budget. I just paid cash for a deal on a mixed case of 2005 Allemand Cornas and a full case of 2005 Gallet Cote Rotie. All are fantastic wines, right in my favorite wheelhouse, of great vintage, and of terrific scarcity. My budget through March 2009 is pretty much shot.

It's back on a 100% no-wine spending probation, until April. Both Dawn and I are happy with this front-loading purchase, as I drove her crazy worrying that I was sure to be aced-out of being able to buy this stuff over the coming months.

So, let's see if I can stay on the wagon. Again.

Hard to fault you for buying wine that you really like (and should be really great), and still intending to honor budget.

Makes me think though that at some life stages budgeting money is the right way to go, and for others budgeting bottles is the right way to go.

I'm going to try to come up with a commitmment to bottle budgeting that targets zero growth in inventory, or better yet a reduction in cellar size since tt must occur inevitably. That also creates even more incentive for consumption, which is the ultimate purpose after all.

Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 pm

I will share some successes:

I've killed three wine clubs, two of which I really loved.

I need to drop the rest, but there are a couple I really don't want to drop, but should.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 am

I have done really well this month....6 bottles of beer from China and today (yippee dah do, holey de mo) one bottle of the `06 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett. For Wine Focus naturally!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:54 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I will share some successes:

I've killed three wine clubs, two of which I really loved.

I need to drop the rest, but there are a couple I really don't want to drop, but should.

Bravo! I am only in 2 clubs myself, and hadn't even thought about dropping them until you brought it up. Hmm, struggle, agonize, ponder...
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 am

Charles, I like the way you think. Reduce inventory--incentive to consume more.

David, which wine clubs do you belong to if you don't mind revealing?
I am in one from Glenora Wine Cellars (Finger Lakes) and on the mailing list for Williams Selyem, Merry Edwards, Loring Wine Company and Biale. I dropped out of Chateau Montelena and got frustrated with Kosta Browne so didn't try to order from that source. On their last go-round Kosta Browne said I didn't have any allocation for the releases but could put my name on a "want list" for bottles that might not be snapped up by those with allocations. I decided there are too many other good wines in the world to be bothered with a "maybe" bottle here or there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:46 am

I am currently in the St. Innocent and Dashe wine clubs. I think you would have to break my arms to get me to drop either one at this point.

I'm on several lists as well, but some I do not order from, and otehrs I "give away" my allocation. I am currently only buying from Pride & Rhys for my own consumption & I am seriously toying with dropping Pride. I do get a little Montelena through my Dad, frequently arranging trades for the cost. He takes my Turley allocation. I gave up on Kosta-Browne after seeing how they handle the wait list (it's shameful IMO) & tasting the goopy, vodka-infused wines.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:22 am

Not sure how a wine club differs from a winery offering via mailing list (good gawd do you pay to be in the club ?), but irregardless, I dropped from nineteen lists in the past few years to remain on: Merry Edwards, Rafanelli, Fred Scherrer, Laurel Glen and Seavey. I work hard with friends and family to fulfill some sort of minimal orders.

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 am

Club - periodic shipments (usually 2-4 bottles) of whatever the winery wants to send to you.
no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

SoCal

by Jeff_Dudley » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:56 am

Gotcha. Tablas Creek used to do that, but I liked their whites and most of the reds too. I'm gonna call this arrangement Russian River Roulette .

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am

I fell off the wagon!!
However, I just couldn't pass up some 2001 ESJ Los Robles Viejos @ pre-discount price of $15.98.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Redwinger wrote: 2001 ESJ Los Robles Viejos @ pre-discount price of $15.98.
Bill

Very good buy.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Speaking of clubs, the two I have not cancelled are due this month. Havens is shippping a reserve Merlot and a new Hudson Syrah. Freemark Abbey has a "Josephine" and a Napa Valley Cab. :oops:

I like Freemark Abbey wines. I think they are balanced, even elegant....not over the top or jammy at all.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Redwinger wrote:I fell off the wagon!!
However, I just couldn't pass up some 2001 ESJ Los Robles Viejos @ pre-discount price of $15.98.
Bill

I'd leap off the wagon for that deal!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Bill,

Petition the rules committee. I'm pretty sure that doesn't constitute a violation.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Survey says...VIOLATION!
PreviousNext