The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Miner Family Vineyards Gibson Ranch Sangiovese Mendocino Calif.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Miner Family Vineyards Gibson Ranch Sangiovese Mendocino Calif.

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:22 pm

2004 Miner Gibson Ranch Sangiovese Mendocino California. $24; Andrea Immer Wine Club. 14.3% alcohol.

This is the third bottle in my first shipment from Immer, and a very nice example of a California Sangiovese. No one would mistake it for a Chianti -- much too rich, and without that unique "Italian taste note" that I personally find in almost every Italian wine -- the fruit would have drowned it out here.

Deep red color; deep hue; very good fruit and spice aromas; very good fruit tastes -- no cherry notes at all that I could detect; medium to full mouth feel; mild tannins and acidity, beautifully balanced; medium, complex finish. 4*.

Immer's note: "The Sangiovese has a very ripe strawberry jam scent and flavor, and lots of cumin and cardamom spiciness. These flavors make fireworks with the fruit salsa I serve with these grilled shrimp. I love this salsa as well served over fresh mozzarella cheese or grilled salmon."

Immer's recipe:

SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE WITH SPICY STRAWBERRY SALSA Serves 4

2 minced garlic cloves
1 T chopped fresh parsley
1 T chopped fresh thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
3 T minced shallots. divided
20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 - 4-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 10 minutes to prevent burning
2 C strawberries, hulled and diced
1 T aged balsamic vinegar
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T chopped fresh basil

Preheat grill to medium heat. Combine the first 4 ingredients, 2 T of the shallots and ¼ cup of the olive oil in a small mixing bowl. Line the shrimp up in vertical rows of 5, all facing the same direction, on a flat surface. Thread 2 wooden skewers, one at the headend and one at the tail-end through each row of 5 shrimp. So you end up with a washboard looking rectangle of skewered shrimp. Place the shrimp on a platter and brush them all over with the garlic mixture. Place the shrimp skewers on the hot grill and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Heat the remaining olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the shallot until soft and fragrant. Turn off the heat and stir in the strawberries, vinegar and basil. Season to taste with lots of freshly ground black pepper and serve with the grilled shrimp.

I used this salsa with fresh mozzarella cheese and it was a perfect match, adding an interest dimension to both the cheese and the wine, quite extraordinary. Also, I used a reduced balsamic vinegar concoction suggested by John Ash and posted here in the past.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2004 Miner Fam. Vineyards Gibson Ranch Sangiovese Mendocino Calif.

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:47 am

Bob.. Andrea has got you way in front of the curve... This has not even been released to the club members yet! Sounds like it is going to be good.. since '01, the first vintage I tried, the Sangiovese has just got better and better. I look forward to receiving mine .. hopefully soon!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:20 am

Interesting. I wondered if it was already sold out -- there was no reference on Miner's website -- I would have liked to post what the winemaker thought of the wine.

Immer -- and you James -- have found a winner in this winery, I think. The people are interesting, as well as the wine.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:39 am

Years ago someone turned me on to the Miner Viognier, and I joined the club to get the other wines. It's the only wine club that I have had continuously since joining. The wines are well made, well priced and they are good people (though my contact has been only via email.. I've yet to visit them). They make a cab blend, The Oracle, that is very very good. I love every summer getting the Rosato, the Sauvignon Blanc and the Viogniers (they have two).

I used to watch Andrea's wine show, but it was always so low level, and she never really analyzed the wines she tasted in any compelling way. But I know she knows wine. Can you give me details of her club???

Thanx....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:44 am

I'll send you a link, James, by IM. Clunky website, but they are trying to do better. I've been impressed by her books and speeches -- surprised a little at how little respect she garners among wine geeks. She knows her stuff.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:57 am

Bob.. thanx for the link (though lurkers may have liked it too...: :lol: ).

Well, from her show, it is easy to see why Andrea does not impress geeks. One of her comments on tasting a wine, was, "it's, like, texture." What does that mean? If you are a neophyte watching her, how helpful is that. If you are into wine... well.. same. I know she knows wine.. I have her book. But I think she is more into selling wine than analyzing wine. She is not a critic in that sense, so maybe that's why she gets no respect in some quarters, despite impressive credentials. She is cute... :wink:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks, James. I've only read her books, a few tasting notes from the Wine Club and saw her her do a wonderful presentation on Australian wine -- that could easily have been canned, of course.

But based on the four examples she's chosen for June and July, I'm impressed favorably at the moment.