The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gunderloch Dry Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Gunderloch Dry Riesling

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:22 am

Wednesday was rainy, but in a surprise cleared up in time for the concert by the river. Lovely not-too-warm night with a good bluegrass band. Betsy had made a seafood salad (shrimp and grilled squid) and some pasta with pestol, we also had some cheeses and the 2004 Gunderloch Dry Riesling (Rheinhessen). First of all, though this is listed as "Dry", I think there is just a touch of noticable residual sugar - but with the impressive acidity the overall effect is dry. Rich deep golden plum and peach flavors, intensely mineral finish. Steely backbone, structured yet accessable. Seriously impressive QbA. Where did I get this? Must find more. A-/B+
(PS though my picnic kit includes a corkscrew, the screwcap is a bonus- no need to take a backup bottle for fear of TCA, and no fighting to get cork back in to transport home).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Gunderloch Dry Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 am

I think the Riesling 'Dry' is about 6 g/l residual unmentionable. So it's just edging above taste threshold.

But it is indeed wonderful wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:08 am

David,
I'm assuming the "Dry" ISN'T the same as the Gunderloch "Trocken"? According to Winesearcher none of my usual haunts have the Dry (I think I got this at Zachys or Grapes in Rye), but Garys shows the Trocken.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:33 am

Dale Williams wrote:David,
I'm assuming the "Dry" ISN'T the same as the Gunderloch "Trocken"? According to Winesearcher none of my usual haunts have the Dry (I think I got this at Zachys or Grapes in Rye), but Garys shows the Trocken.

They should be the same. There's only one "generic" estate dry riesling. I think they changed from trocken to 'dry' on the label for 2004. That could be some of the confusion. Now if you find the 2004 Niersteiner Pettenthal Trocken that's a great wine. Zachy's has it for $19.99 on sale.

Oh, and the Riesling 'Dry' actually has 8 g/l of sugar. My mistake.
Decisions are made by those who show up