The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pennsylvanians, I need your help.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:57 pm

Chicago, IL

Pennsylvanians, I need your help.

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:13 am

Anyone familiar with the regular stock of the PLCB have any recommendations for organically and/or biodynamically wines readily available in the Philadelphia area? And, I forget: is PA a 100% monopoly for wine or are there private shops in addition to state stores?

Thanks!
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Pennsylvanians, I need your help.

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:44 am

What part of Pennsylvania will you be in? It makes a HUGE diffence. Particularly we need to tll you which border to cross! I'm an expatriate myself, but I go back often (I'll be there Friday) and I ALWAYS bring wine with me. The few times I was forced to the local state store the selection was abysmal and the prices outrageous. My folks live in the Philly suburbs and the in-laws live in the Pittsburgh suburbs. I pretty much have the two large cities covered.
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:55 am

Philadelphia. There probably won't be any border-crossing: I'm getting recommendations for someone who's putting together a reception at a conference, and I don't think any of the people involved will be able to do much more than shop locally. Thanks for your advice, James!
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:58 am

I'm getting recommendations for someone who's putting together a reception at a conference

Aha, might this be APSA? So this way the WLDG World can see what to expect at the Chicago Reception?

But why the stipulation of organic/biodynamic? Sounds good, but are people really that strict?
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Lizbeth S » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:08 am

In PA, you can only buy wine actually at the winery or through the state stores. I'm living in Philly now, and I have not seen much of a selection in organic wines around here. However, if you know what you want, you can always go to the manager of a state store and have him/her order it for you. It's sometimes pretty pricey, but its legal. Or just do what I do and drive to NJ! :D
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:09 am

Hey, how's it going?

Actually, it's not the Chicago reception (although I'll be there too). It's for a specific panel -- "The Politics of Food, Taste, and Time" -- at which Slow Food will be one topic among others.

I might just have to schlep half a case of CRB from Chicago. Although if you're coming I could bring some boutique family-owned CA Pinot, too. ;-)
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:13 am

Thanks, Lizbeth -- I see from their website that the PLCB has a Louis-Dressner Gavi on their list as a special-order, and I'm sure there are others, so maybe that would work. Is there a specific state store in Philly that you've been particularly happy placing special orders with?

Thanks for your help, and -- since your username says "Just Got Here," -- welcome!
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:18 am

Actually, it's not the Chicago reception (although I'll be there too). It's for a specific panel -- "The Politics of Food, Taste, and Time" -- at which Slow Food will be one topic among others.

I might just have to schlep half a case of CRB from Chicago. Although if you're coming I could bring some boutique family-owned CA Pinot, too.

Aha, just checked the description online, sounds interesting, although they didn't mention anything about an extensive CRB tasting, which I'm sure would jampack the room beyond belief.

Some nice jammy overwrought CA pinot could also be useful for demonstrating the principled differences with CRB, and I promise to be as polemical as possible in attacking the former. :)
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:26 am

Well, lord knows these meetings could use a little more polemic. Oh, god, now you've got me imagining APSA panels made up of WIWPs...

I'm not *sure* the wine will actually happen. We'll see.

So you'll be at the conference? Email me if you want to find a time to hang out.
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:31 am

you should be able to find the wines you need just across the river in new jersey, if someone has a car. Moore Bros is 5 min. from the bridge and Canal's is just another 2 minutes. btw, what the heck is CRB????
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:33 am

btw, what the heck is CRB????

http://www.louisdressner.com/Roche/
no avatar
User

Patchen (Chicago)

Rank

Wine geek

Chicago, IL

by Patchen (Chicago) » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks, David, that's helpful. Not sure whether anyone will have a car but at those distances we could take cabs, if they go across state lines.
cheers,

Patchen
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:03 pm

If someone does have a car, I would reccomend Total Wine in both NJ and Delaware. I would post a link to their website but I'm notoriously idiotic about such things. They are your typical BAWS, but they carry a nice selection and you should be able get better prices and better selection. I shop at their "sister" store in Maryland and am generally pleased with the quality of the product. It's definitely worth the drive to avoid the state store, although Philadelphia has a few BA state stores in the area. I think there is one out on Woodhaven Blvd in northeast near the Franklin Mills Mall. They are reputed to have better selection and better prices according to family sources.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Patchen (Chicago) wrote:Anyone familiar with the regular stock of the PLCB have any recommendations for organically and/or biodynamically wines readily available in the Philadelphia area? And, I forget: is PA a 100% monopoly for wine or are there private shops in addition to state stores?

Thanks!

Originally from PA, now in Chicago...
If you have any favorites, you can easily find out if/where it is available in the Philly area from the PLCB web site:
http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/ (click "Product Search")
Once you find the item(s) you want, click on the item number and you can search for the stores that carry it.

Sorry I don't have any particular recommendations. To answer your other question, PA is a near-100% monopoly. The only exception is that PA wineries are allowed to have up to 5 retail outlets selling their own wine only.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:29 am

Five years ago, I traveled with my wife to a school & family reunion in a western suburb of Pittsburgh. The PLCB is probably doing a fine job serving their local residents, but I found them to be appallingly lacking in the wine department. All of our local grocery stores easily carried at least double the selection, and the PLCB was not even in the same league as our local wine shop. In addition, their selection of premium wines was quite poor. I also found few-to-no bargains at the PLCB during that visit.

I asked one of the store employees about this, and was informed that the PLCB had designated premium wine stores with better selection. Unfortunately, the nearest one was at least 20 miles away. However, any PLCB store could order any wine carried by their premium outlets.

And don't even think about trying to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday. :cry:
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:33 pm

Andrew has the right idea - use the online catalog features to check for availability of interesting wines in Philadelphia stores. Consider both regular and specialty items; sorting results by "Type" will put them first, and push special order (SLO) items to the bottom.

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:And don't even think about trying to buy a bottle of wine on Sunday. :cry:

No longer true, fortunately. Pennsylvania has had Sunday sales for a few years now. PA started wines sales on Sunday before NY did.