The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Guado al Tasso 2001 Bolgheri Superiore

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

WTN: Guado al Tasso 2001 Bolgheri Superiore

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Tenuta Guado al Tasso, 2001 Bolgheri DOC Superiore

My constant companion works for a larger hotel chain. They were hosting a seminar by Southern Wine & Spirits of California on Antinori Wines. The above open bottle was (legally) retrieved from that tasting along with some quite informative handouts and a nifty CD with lots of stuff about Italian wine on it. (I love the maps.)

The wine itself was deep red in color, rubyish. It had no rough edges whatsoever. A dark fruity aroma, the oak blending into the background, a soft, Merlot-like feel on the tongue and gentle tannin all made this into an "easy drinker." The blend: 60% cabernet sauvignon, 30% merlot, 10% syrah, 14% alc. by vol. It did not affront; it accommodated. A lot of my friends and acquaintances would have purred "smooth." It really went well with the grilled tri-tip we had for dinner. It is most certainly a crowd-pleaser.

As far as my friend could tell, they wanted $58 a bottle for it and I don't know if that was the wholesale or retail price.

I think I've been in California too long. As much as I enjoyed this wine, it was too soft, too nondescript. It cried, "Drink me and I won't hurt you." Maybe the subtlety was just lost on me.
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Re: WTN: Guado al Tasso 2001 Bolgheri Superiore

by J Nolan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:55 pm

Great wine, I'm on my way up to Tuscany on tuesday but don't know whether or not I'll get the chance to pass by Bolgheri.

Tenuta Guado al Tasso, Part of the Antinori Group of Vinyards, the price seems to be right for Italian standards, the quality should be top notch although I haven't had the pleasure of drinking this Bolgheri superiore, I have had the Grattamacco 2001 which cost around 55euro here, but what can you say Bolgheri is Bolgheri the home of Sassicaia.

I love their cut, the Italian response to Bordeaux(so they say) but i have to say if it wasn't for the cost I'd drink them every second day, I keep to a Bottle of bolgheri rosso DOC once a week.
Nice post
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Guado al Tasso 2001 Bolgheri Superiore

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:24 pm

I had a similar response to the '00, Gary. Super elegant, super concentrated, really tasty, enough of a fingerprint to identify it as Italian, but I don't like the style enough to justify the price. The 2000 was going for $65 (wholesale) at the tasting I tried it so for $80+ shelf price I'm going to buy something different. Pretty darned tasty though.