The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1991 Vina Mayor Tinto Ribera del Duero Spain.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1991 Vina Mayor Tinto Ribera del Duero Spain.

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:52 pm

1991 Vina Mayor Tinto Ribera del Duero Spain. There are some $7.00 bottles of wine that are absolutely amazing. I bought three bottles of this wine in 1995; one of my very first tasting notes read: "Janet hated this wine, said to throw it out. The color was a pale red, the aroma fruity and acid; the mouth feel light; the taste strongly acid, with a little tannin and some fruit; the finish lasted about 20 seconds, with acid and tannin predominant. Not to my taste; sorry we have two more bottles. 1*."

I put the two bottles in the Spanish section of Janet's cellar, and forgot about them until last night. Instead of just pouring them out untasted, I opened one:

Dull red color, medium hue, good aroma of fruit and spice and earthen notes; smooth, well balanced tastes of fruit, spice, earth and chocolate, medium mouth feel, light tannins, hint of acidity, medium finish. Pretty wine, quite surprising after 15 years. 3*.

Tonight I checked the fridge - I had forgotten to put the cork back in, but darn it, that little tinto was still chugging along - the fruit was a little subdued, the aroma was almost nonexistent, the acidity was a bit more evident, but I enjoyed it very much. 3* for endurance, and the ability to keep slugging.

Gee wine is fun. Who could'da predicted this particular journey. I suppose keeping the third bottle for another ten years would be "cruel and unusual" punishment?

Regards, Bob