The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Properties

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Vakho K

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Wine Properties

by Vakho K » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:41 pm

hi all, i'm new to this forum and sorry if topic is in wrong category.(but i thougth this one is correct)

so what i'm interested in is wine properties i'm seeing lot of online wine shop etc... and there are like wine's under 25$ then 25-49$ etc...
so i'm interested in specifics of that wines.

like wine under 25$ must have acid something, alcohol something , ekstract something etc...

can anyone tell me where can i find that kind of info, or post it here if you can :) i'll be very greatfull.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine Properties

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Vakho, welcome to our forum! I believe you are the first person to post from Georgia, the world's birthplace of wine.

I'm not sure there is an answer to your question, though. Wine prices and such properties as acidity and alcohol content are not directly related. In some countries, like France and Italy, it's possible to look up the technical requirements for specific wine regions and types. The Italian Website http://www.Italianmade.com has some information about that, for example.

And there are lots of books that give short descriptions of many kinds of wines, such as Hugh Johnson's <I>Pocket Wine Book</i> in English.

But I know of no list that relates wine data to price, sorry.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Vakho
Welcome!
I think the best place for such information is the website of each winery. However this would take a long time!

As an approximation, low-price wine aimed at the international market is typically lower in acid and higher in (residual) sugar. However some great wines contain residual sugar (in the best cases masses of it - e.g. Tokaji, Sauternes, Trockenbeerenauslese)

Beyond that I think it depends so much on the grape/region that it's difficult to draw a conclusion

e.g. Great Primitivo/Zinfandel can be 15% alcohol, whereas few great Cabernet Sauvignon's are that strong

Planting density and grape yields are a good clue to quality, but can be misleading (especially planting density). I remember posting a question on yields on another forum http://www.wine-pages.com/cgi-bin2/ulti ... 1;t=002014 which investigated usefulness of yield information.

I think Robin's reference to the Italian site is a good one to follow, as the Italians are very good at posting this sort of information. Beyond that, I think it's worth reading some of the very technical wine studies text books, which would be very hard work! Perhaps some of the winemakers who post here could give some good pointers?

Good luck

Ian
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

by Paul Savage » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:05 pm

As others have mentioned, there is theoretically no difference in a wine that costs $10 versus one that costs $100, in terms of acidity, extract, alcohol, etc. But less expensive wines may be "designed" for immediate consumption, and consequently have less tannin (the compound found also in strong tea that causes the sensation of astringency or dryness...) and more "forward" or obvious fruit.

igher priced wines usually come from more highly regarded wine areas, which would theoretically produce "better" wines. And the highest priced wines usually are made in very small quantity, and with extreme care, so the quality is exceptional, but the demand exceeds the supply, and the price rises accordingly! ...Paul