The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:'00 St. Joseph Faury

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN:'00 St. Joseph Faury

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:34 am

With Jay Labrador's TNs from a Syrah tasting in mind I went down to the cellar to pick a syrah to go with cheese, sausage, bread and a celebration of the 5th day without power at our house in St. Louis. The St. Joseph was medium bodied with loads of complex flavors moving around in the glass. Dark fruit with briary notes, spices and earth flavors but nothing near over-the-top, just complex. With a lingering finish this wine was both subtle and agrressive, in an exciting way. Unfortunately I only had two bottles and the one opened about 3 months ago was very good but did not approach this bottle. Could have been a little more age or just a better bottle. At $20 I would buy a case if I could still find it. This syrah was 180 degrees from the bigger fruit driven new world syrah. The Faury would go best with cheeses and milder meat dishes while the new world wines such as Dehlinger go best with grilled meats and BBQ, IMO.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN:'00 St. Joseph Faury

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:44 am

Goodness me, five days without power!? How are you chilling the martinis?
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN:'00 St. Joseph Faury

by wrcstl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Goodness me, five days without power!? How are you chilling the martinis?

Bob,
You have hit on the biggest problem. I don't drink marinis but have a small cooler with chilled wine plus some ice, tonic and limes for my favorite hot weather drink, gin & tonic.
Walt