The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Assembling A Tasting of Michigan Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Assembling A Tasting of Michigan Wines

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:20 pm

As some might remember, we planned while in Michigan to pick up some local wines for an AWS chapter tasting back home. Armed with lots of suggestions from the forum, we hit the Michigan wine trail last week looking for about four whites and four reds.

The Traverse City region was our main focus. Wineries here are located on two peninsulas, Old Mission and Leelanau, that jut out into Grand Traverse Bay. This is cool climate wine country. The 45th parallel, midpoint between the equator and the North Pole, crosses here (and also lends its name to a very good place to have breakfast in Suttons Bay). As you would expect, the emphasis is on whites and we found some good ones.

The best were from wineries on Old Mission Peninsula. The Manigold Vineyard Gewurtraminer at Peninsula Cellars was delightful, an easy choice for the tasting. Their semi-dry Riesling was another easy pick. Although we were not looking for other fruit wines, we did try a couple and can recommend their apple wine. The winemaker at Pennisula Cellars, Bryan Ulbrich, makes a dry Riesling under his own Left Foot Charley label. O W Holmes had brought this to NiagaraCool. For reasons Bryan tried to explain but I didn’t understand it can not yet be purchased at the winery. We were able to get it though at a store (the Blue Goat) in Traverse City.

Another very good find on Old Mission Peninsula was a dry Whole Cluster Riesling from Chateau Grand Traverse. We had an interesting discussion there with Sean O’Keefe, VP and son of the founder, about the rationale behind the whole cluster method. This fine, crisp wine made a total of 4 whites, so one flight for the tasting appeared pretty well set.

What about some reds? They are not the forte of the Traverse City region, although the ’05s are touted as much better than the currently available ‘04s. A special sample of ’05 Cabernet Franc at Black Star on Leelanau Peninsula supported this claim. Although we tried a variety of reds, none made much of an impression. We also tried some sparklers at Mawby on the Leelanau Peninsula but they were overpriced. Service in the tasting room there left much to be desired as well. When I asked to taste the non-sparkling Vignoles, available only at the winery, I was told that it wasn’t possible because it was not on the tasting list. Talk about a pig in a poke!

At about this time we began getting nervous. The day had netted just 4 wines, all whites. So we decided to lower our sights and keep trying. Two reds and a sparkler were added as a result. None was particularly exciting, but perhaps they would do. We planned to round things out with a Catawba Rose from St. Julian in southwest Michigan that had won a gold medal at a recent competition.

Several days later in Kalamazoo we made the short trip to St. Julian in Paw Paw. Unfortunately, the sought after Catawba turned out to be much too sweet. The label said 4% sugar, which the normally high acidity of Catawba might be expected to handle, but it did not in this case. All was not lost however, because St. Julian had a Hermitage on sale that tasted pretty good. We decided to get it so that at least one decent red would be in tasting.

Looking over some notes, we saw that Nancy had liked a wine from Lemon Creek Winery she tasted at the AWS conference at Penn State a few years ago. So it was back in the car and off to furthest southwest Michigan, hard by the Indiana border, an area known as “Michiana”.

At Lemon Creek we found a Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve that was just plain yummy. Described on the tasting sheet as “The best Cab that Michigan has to offer”, we couldn’t disagree and happily added it to our collection.

Just across the street from Lemon Creek is Domaine Berrien Cellars, and it turned out to be a gem. Although our mission was reds, the Viognier and Marsanne on the tasting menu couldn’t be passed up. Both were excellent. The flowery Viognier, we then decided, just had to be added to the whites in our tasting.

The reds at Domaine Berrien were the best overall that we tasted. Both the Lemberger and Cabernet Franc could hold their own with those from better known regions. But the one we liked best was an ’04 Pinot Noir. It became the 8th and final entrant in our tasting. All in all, the across the board high quality at Domaine Berrien was most impressive. The winery is young but obviously dedicated to producing fine wines, including varieties not much seen elsewhere in the state. On a more general note, the reds in the southwest part of the state were a much better lot than those in the north.

Those who automatically count everything (as Sir Francis Galton did) will realize that our search for 8 wines resulted in a total of 11. Since 4 or 5 bottles were bought of each, a stash of some so-so wines has become ours. Anyone for a Sparkling Sandpiper from Mawby? Sorry, we don’t know what’s in it. They couldn’t say at the winery.

Finally, Michigan wines seem pricey. Most of those we bought were around $20. A comparable assortment of Finger Lakes wines would come in at noticeably less, certainly the whites would. Is this a function of different state regulations? Are the Michigan wines really worth the difference (sure, why not start a little trouble)? At the tasting, probably sometime in the winter, opinions about this and more will fly as the wines are poured.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Assembling A Tasting of Michigan Wines

by Peter May » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote: Anyone for a Sparkling Sandpiper from Mawby? Sorry, we don’t know what’s in it. They couldn’t say at the winery.

Surprised you didn'tchoose 'Sex' from Larry Mawby

Regards Sandpiper, its mostly Seyval Blanc

How are each of the varieties used in the production of L. Mawby, Leelanau Peninsula sparkling wines?

LM: Cremant is 100 percent Vignoles, a hardy, distinctively-flavored variety. Vignoles is also part of the Talismøn Brut vineyard blend. The basis for Sandpiper is Seyval and it's often included in Fizz.

The classic champagne varieties, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier, are used in varying percentages in all L. Mawby sparkling wines. Pinot Gris was grown in the Champagne region at one time. We grow it because it offers flavor roundness that complements Chardonnay in our blend.

REH: What methods do you use in sparkling wine production?

LM: Since 1998 in order to specialize in traditional method production, I've added winery space and purchased new equipment. I whole-cluster press hand-harvested grapes using a Bucher tank press. Riddling is done by a computer-controlled gyropalette manufactured in the Champagne region. From suppliers in Epernay, I've bought disgorging, dosaging, corking, and bottle washing equipment. Therefore, since these tools are designed to use standard champagne bottles, I import these from Rheims.

source http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine ... eyard.html
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Unfortunately, the sought after Catawba turned out to be much too sweet. The label said 4% sugar, which the normally high acidity of Catawba might be expected to handle, but it did not in this case.

You know, Dan, despite the fact that my preference (as you know) is for a 0% r.s. in labrusca, I think that Catawba, if properly managed in the field and given appropriate acid management during winemaking (cold stabilization and possibly even MLF), should not be made with more than 2% r.s. I believe that this was the level in the Chiappone Catawba that I got from Howie last year, and it was definitely within my palatability scope. But 1% would be my personal upper limit for r.s. 4% is just way too much. Quai du Vin makes their Niagara and Concord with that much and it is definitely not to my taste at all.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Hi Dan,
Mission accomplished! Looks as though your tasting is going to be a success.

Salute
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 pm

Dan,
Thanks for your report. I am glad to hear that you found some acceptable Mich reds, and I WILL try them.
You must have passed right thru Grand Rapids. I could have taken you to some wine shops that have the Michigan wines for less. I think the wineries, and the retailers near them, have a worry about undercutting each other, but the retailers outside the immediate area usually sell the wines for considerably less. Strange, I know.
Glad you got some Left Foot Charley.
Did you get a chance to try the Brys semi-dry? That is also one of my favorites from the TC area.
-OW
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 pm

Peter said:
Surprised you didn't choose 'Sex' from Larry Mawby

Regards Sandpiper, its mostly Seyval Blanc

At Mawby's a woman sitting nearby said she would have some Sex. I almost fell over. The young'uns might be able to take such things in stride but it's a bit much for this pre-Boomer.
Thanks for the info about Sandpiper.
------------------------------------------------------
Paul,
My first thought when I saw that you replied was, "Wait a minute. We really didn't get any local wines. What we got were viniferas produced in Michigan". Besides the Catawba at St. Julian and a few hybrids I don't recall seeing much besides vinifera.
====================
OW,
When we came across something we liked at a winery we bought it right there just to be sure. The only exception was the Left Foot Charley which we were lucky to get the last 5 bottles in stock at the Blue Goat. We did try the Brys semi-dry Riesling but had already picked up the Peninsula Cellars semi-dry by then and were looking for reds. Most were sold out. It is interesting to hear that lower prices are available away from the wineries. The little bit of looking around I've done in Kalamazoo has only turned up sales in supermarkets on high volume stuff. Ill look more next time. Any suggestions about where to go? Regarding reds, I'd try those from Domaine Berrien and other wineries in the southwest.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:56 pm

Dan, I'm delighted you were able to grab the last five Left Foot Charleys. The distribution is extremely limited. I got some by direct shipment from Brian, but none was available here in the wine shops in GR.
Unfortunately, most Mich wine is sold thru the wine depts of the big grocers, like Meijers. But fortunately, we have a few wine shops that carry a supply of those they consider the best. Russo's here in GR carries a few of the very best, and their prices are less than at the winery and the wineshops of Leelanau and TC.
My first introduction to Mawby's deftly named bubbly came at a tasting at the Rowe Inn in Ellsworth. They have tastings every Sat afternoon, opening 25 or so bottles. I'm standing in front of the white wine table when I am tapped on the shoulder. I turn around and this very attractive woman says "Would you like some SEX?" And with Beth right there!!! She immediately held up the bottle and smiled demurely, and of course, we had sex together right there.
That is one very fun "mixer" wine. I have used her line several times since.
-OW
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Six months later...

Our AWS tasting of Michigan wines was held last week. The wines again: '04 Left Foot Charley Dry Riesling, '05 Chateau Grand Traverse Riesling (Whole Cluster), '04 Peninsula Cellars Semi-Dry Riesling, '05 Peninsula Cellars Manigold Vineyard Gewurztraminer, '05 Domaine Berrien Pinot Noir, '05 Domaine Berrien Viognier, '03 Lemon Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, and '03 St. Julian Meritage Braganini Reserve.

The tasting was in 2 flights of 4 with food selected and prepared by Mike Riposo. Accompanying the Rieslings were Castelvetrano green olives and Mushrooms sautéed in butter and corn oil with pancetta. Ginger snaps were paired with the Gewurztraminer; Mission figs with the Viognier; pecans with the Cabernet Sauvignon; and pork tenderloin with dried cherries with the Pinot Noir and Meritage. A feast indeed!

The Michigan wines were a big hit. The Peninsula Cellars Gewurztraminer was the overall favorite with the CGT Riesling a close second. Several people remarked that the $18 average price was high. We felt the same when visiting the wineries.

The sugar levels of two of the wines presented a mystery. According to the spec sheet the Left Foot Charley was .9% RS. But when I ran a Clinitest the reading was closer to 2% than 1%. The same was true to an even greater degree with the CGT Riesling. Its label says the RS is < 1. By my testing it was fully 2%. I ran these tests several times and got the same results each time.

To be sure it wasn’t the Clinitest reading that was off, I also tested the Peninsula Cellars Semidry Riesling. It tested about 2.3%, just as the spec sheet said. Also, my result for the Viognier was very close to the 0 RS on the spec sheet.

I pointed out the discrepancy for the Left Foot Charley at the tasting and asked if anyone detected any sugar. No one did. My only conclusion is that the acid (spec sheet: 9g/l) provided perfect balance for the sugar. I would be interested to hear what others think about this.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:31 pm

I love resurecting old threads! Good job Dan!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 pm

I remember being very impressed with the Manigold Gewurz at a MoCool several years ago. Glad the '05 is maintaining the standard. I was also impressed with one of the rieslings from that area of Michigan and those also drew compliments at your tasting.
no avatar
User

James G. Lester

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 am

Buchanan, Michigan

by James G. Lester » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 am

Dan,

I am very glad to see this thread! Call me next time you visit MI. When I got started back in the 80's, there were very very few vinifera wines in MI because the "standard wisdom" was that they wouldn't survive our frigid winters. Add to that, the MI industry has been historically driven by tourism and economic necessity. This meant very sweet white wines selling for $7.99. So it is a recent development that winemakers are planting vinifera and actually aiming for high quality and drier styles.

MI has many very special microclimates and complex soil structures along the western lake shore. It is potentially a very special vinifera wine region with unique regional styles. It is just now beginning to be explored as a fine wine region. We are where California was in the mid 60's, and where OR and WA were in the late 70's. But watch us closely. Our wines are more European in style. The SW is red wine country. But we also make excellent Chardonnay, dry Riesling, and Gewurztraminer. the NW in my opinion is great sparkling wine country. Riesling also does well up there, but so far, to my palate they are not as good as the best Germans. But hey, give them a few decades!

I own Wyncroft in the hills of the SW corner of MI. We are a tiny operation, 100% estate grown, vines cropped at below Grand Cru levels and made exactly like their classical French counterparts down to the last detail. We grow and make Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, dry Riesling, dry Gewurztraminer, and a left-bank Bordeaux-style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. We have no tasting room, and sell out by the case only to our mailing list and a few hand-selected restaurants. And yes the wines are expensive by MI standards, but in blind tastings of comparable wines, they are bargains. I am not tooting my own horn here, but simply acknowledging that MI terroir is capable of great wines in the classical style.

James G. Lester
Wyncroft, LLC
<a>wyncroftwine.com<a>
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:11 am

Asimov writes in todays' NYT about the emerging distinctiveness of wines from different regions of America. The lead sentence cites one of the wines from our tasting as an example:

"Maybe it was the 2004 Peninsula Cellars riesling that I tried last fall out in San Francisco. It was dry and delicious with a minerally flavor that I don't find so often in American rieslings. What surprised me most of all, though, was the wine's provenance: Old Mission Peninsula, north of Traverse City, Mich.".
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm

James G. Lester wrote:
I own Wyncroft in the hills of the SW corner of MI. We are a tiny operation, 100% estate grown, vines cropped at below Grand Cru levels and made exactly like their classical French counterparts down to the last detail. We grow and make Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, dry Riesling, dry Gewurztraminer, and a left-bank Bordeaux-style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. We have no tasting room, and sell out by the case only to our mailing list and a few hand-selected restaurants. And yes the wines are expensive by MI standards, but in blind tastings of comparable wines, they are bargains. I am not tooting my own horn here, but simply acknowledging that MI terroir is capable of great wines in the classical style.

James G. Lester
Wyncroft, LLC

As a Californian (but born and bred in Indiana!) I've always been skeptical of wines from such cold climates. But...your wines sound delicious. Do you have a tasting room? Maybe next time I go home, this would be a nice sidetrip!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:45 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:....I've always been skeptical of wines from such cold climates....
YIKES! I'm just the opposite. I'm skeptical of wines from such warm places as California. :?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm

James G. Lester wrote:I own Wyncroft in the hills of the SW corner of MI. We are a tiny operation, 100% estate grown, vines cropped at below Grand Cru levels and made exactly like their classical French counterparts down to the last detail. We grow and make Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, dry Riesling, dry Gewurztraminer, and a left-bank Bordeaux-style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. We have no tasting room, and sell out by the case only to our mailing list and a few hand-selected restaurants. And yes the wines are expensive by MI standards, but in blind tastings of comparable wines, they are bargains. I am not tooting my own horn here, but simply acknowledging that MI terroir is capable of great wines in the classical style.

James, I just re-read this part of your post and of course I am interested in what you do. Would you say that the classic French varieties, when grown in our general climate (i.e. Michigan, Ontario, etc.) do best in a small-scale, hands-on situation? I imagine that due to the sensitivity of the vines to cold and disease, the vineyardist really needs to be on top of these things. Of course, I advocate the exact same vigilance when it comes to non-vinifera varieties, but with viniferas in our challenging climate these factors become crucial.

Here in Ontario, we have many wineries growing the big-name French grapes successfully. Most years I would say that the regular releases of the red viniferas lack concentration, but this is probably due to a slightly higher cropping level than with the premium estate bottlings, which in turn sell for much more. Although you know me as a hybrid fan (which I am), I do believe that great (yes, great) vinifera reds are possible in our climate, but it seems to me that it is a comparatively labour-intensive process and a venture that has many risks associated with it (e.g. a number of larger wineries here have installed wind machines to deal with severe freezes).

P.S. Any chance that you might attend MoCool this year? It happens every year at the end of August near Ann Arbor, MI.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:41 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:....I've always been skeptical of wines from such cold climates....
YIKES! I'm just the opposite. I'm skeptical of wines from such warm places as California. :?

Well....given the way my palette is evolving, we might be in agreement. :lol: There is chilly areas in California, too, of course. Green Valley in Sonoma is awesome-

I guess what I mean is I always mentally associate New World wine with "California" Maybe New York, and Oregon, and Washington.

It's amazing to read about wineries in Michigan.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach