The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cheap crap

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Cheap crap

by Saina » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:36 pm

• 2003 Tempus Two Shiraz - Australia, New South Wales, Hunter Valley (7/26/2006)
    Generic Aussie crap. Spoofulated nose with tar and a note of sweetness. The palate is also a touch sweet, almost cloying. I can see why there is a glut of grapes Down Under. This both sucks and tastes identical to all lower end Aussie Shiraz. On the plus side, there is "only" 13% abv which is quite little I guess for Aussie Crap TM and the label looks nice.
  • 2005 Vigne Regali (Banfi) Brachetto d'Acqui Rosa Regale - Italy, Piedmont, Brachetto d'Acqui (7/26/2006)
    What a fun little wine! Fizzy and sweet, but with a lovely bitter quality that keeps it from becoming cloying. Nothing profound, nothing intellectual, but such great fun!

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Cheap crap

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:43 pm

Thank your liver for doing the heavy lifting so others do not have to suffer. You batted .500 which is not too shabby. You really need to get out there and swing for the fences and get more of that Banfi stuff. It's a large producer. I suspect it will bring the average down. Who knows?
no avatar
User

Don P

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:28 pm

by Don P » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Hey Otto:

Banfi also makes a very fun Sangiovese if you're able to find it and take it for a spin. Hey - isn't it always Cab season up there in Finland since all you have is snow and reindeers :-D?

Take care.

DP
Donald Poorman
Resident Cynic and Wine Enthusiast

"I found a bottle of wine in your basement when I was cleaning that said 'Rothschild' and threw it away - nothing from 1957 could still be good." - My Mother-in-Law
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:26 pm

My pleasure James. But I'd rather forgo the "pleasure" next time. I'll stick with the Brachetto.

I've tried a couple other Banfis. Usually boring and/or over-oaked for me. This was a pleasant surprise though.

Don, we're havin temperatures of 30C here also! :) I love the heat! No Cab for me please but Rieslings and Muscadets.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Otto and I seem to quite a few things in common, but we ain`t got reindeer!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Bob, I would have thought Alberta to be farther south than Finland. Am I mistaken. I guess the weather might tend to be the same (long winters, short, cool summers). You're in Calgary or Edmonton?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:27 pm

Agree with you on the Rosa Regale. I don't know what it costs there but it's rather expensive in Manila. I suspect much of that cost goes towards the fancy bottle.

I haven't tried the Tempus Two Shiraz but they do make a decent botrytis Semillon although again, I'll bet a lot of the price is for the fancy bottle.