The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2004 Vinos Pinol Terra Alta Mistela VI DE Licor/Mistela Blanca

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

2004 Vinos Pinol Terra Alta Mistela VI DE Licor/Mistela Blanca

by John S » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:11 am

2004 Vinos Pinol Terra Alta Mistela VI DE Licor / Mistela Blanca - Spain, Catalunya, Tarragona, Terra Alta (7/31/2006)
Well, this is an interesting one: a sweet 100% grenache blanc. It's a coppery-gold with orange tints in color. The nose is rather reticent, with a slight floral note and then lots of sugary raisons: pretty basic. But the palate is much more interesting, with more sugary raisons, figs, orange zest, apricots, honey and brown sugar. Just a touch too sweet perhaps, but there's healthy acidity too, and the best part is the very creamy, honeyed texture and long finish that elevates the wine significantly for me. Very interesting, and nice QPR too. Definitely unfiltered: the most gunk I have ever seen in a dessert wine! (A)
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: 2004 Vinos Pinol Terra Alta Mistela VI DE Licor/Mistela Blanca

by Jay Labrador » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:39 am

Nice note! I had this wine a few months back and, like you, really enjoyed it. I didn't find any gunk in the bottle, though.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: 2004 Vinos Pinol Terra Alta Mistela VI DE Licor/Mistela Blanca

by John S » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Jay, the gunk was almost the best part! When I grabbed the bottle from the shelf, about an inch of sediment (mainly lees, I guess) started doing a riveting dance along the bottom of the bottle. It almost looked like one of those 1960s, hippy-styled lamps that were filled with some wierd sort of liquid, that made ever-changing patterns if it was kept moving. What the heck were those called?

I'm grabbing my other bottle now. Honestly, it's very hypnotic watching the sediment glide and sway around the bottle, almost like it's alive...wait a minute, I'm getting very sleepy, verrry sleeeepyyyyy......must but more, buy more....