The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

In last nights triple blind tasting, I went 7 for 7

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JJBiancamano

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 am

NYC/NJ

In last nights triple blind tasting, I went 7 for 7

by JJBiancamano » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:20 am

Based on my masturbatory headline, for all of you thinking I am normal, that's getting 7 out of 7 incorrect, and by the way I like wing dings. I've got news about ME!! ! Big news about ME!!. Believe it or not, at last night's triple blind tasting (Covered bottles, covered eyes and a condom on my tongue), I hit 7 out of 7 right! A Hermean feat the equivalent of a getting an aisle seat, winning a free subscription to Hilites, setting the Guinness world record for hitting myself with a hammer, or attending the US Frisbee Golf Open!

Before my friend Slimer chimes in, I admit, I blew the first question: Solve Pi? I guessed “Tennessee”. Anyway onto my feat of glory which I now posting about and hoping you can chime in and say how great I am. The first glass: I guessed “Gatorade”, since it had that salty sweet flavor and murky colour. I was sure it was a ‘liquid”. But, from that moment on, like Rosie Ruiz at the Boston Marathon, Chuck Wepner stepping on Ali’s foot, , or Alice falling into the rabbit hole, there was no stopping me, and if I could cheat, I did! I was so hot! It was 100 degrees for God’s sake! I have never watched “Rescue Me", but that Dennis Leary can put out my fire anytime!

To be correct, you need to say where the wine is from, the grape and if you state its Bordeaux, you have to give the winemakers name, the time it was bottled, how many bottles were produced and the brix at harvest. For the year, I guessed late “mid to late 20th century, possibly early or really early, but not the 19th century, maybe late 19th century but certainly not early, maybe early 21st century, but not late cause it hasn’t happened yet. The wines were from 1987. These are the selections from the blind tasting.

#1 87 Sutter White Zin (I said Gatorade then I said Water, then I said CRAP, then I said can I have a hint, then I said can I have another hint, then I peeked at the bottle! Then I said Dead, I was right!)
#2 87 Lafite Rothschild (I claimed it was a wine that was GROWN on VINE!! Right again!)
#3 87 Caymus Special Selection (I stated Wine! I was right!)
#4 87 J. Lohr Chardonnay (I called it Latour! But I was right because I La Tour rhymes J. Lohr )
#5 87 Red Wine (nailed this puppy! The color was a dead give away
#6 87 Le Pin (Hell I drink SOO MUCH Le Pin, I mean, I mix the stuff with pancake syrup for breakfast!)

#7 South Africa (My friend told me that it was from below the equator, not from Australia, or South America, comes from a place Lion's live and it’s Nelson Mandela’s fave! Ha!! Am I impressive or what!!)

FWIW, I was surprised how much I like myself. I am totally immature, but I look very well. I like to wear complex smoky perfume, eat good fruit.

87 Sutter White Zin was monolithic to me, but, fans of wines stored above the fridge will like the wine. It was bad wine, but me, I’ve got style.

87 Lafite & J. Lohr were simple, like me!.

87 Caymus Special Selection was a good example of a Cal Cab that people say they like but generally can’t afford unless you are like me and hang in such cool circles. Still showing elements of fruit (elements of fruit in a wine, odd wouldn’t you say?). But, having had this wine in its youth, for me, it was much more interesting 20-22 years ago, even before it was grown.
Life is what happens to you while
you're busy making other plans.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: In last nights triple blind tasting, I went 7 for 7

by Redwinger » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:37 am

Classic Primer/Slimer stuff. You must be getting your material from that "other" board.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:08 am

This stuff is great! Thanks for the great read!
no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

by Cam Wheeler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 am

Brilliant!
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:32 am

Well, I'm hugely impressed! I can tell a man like you wouldn't make the appalling mistake (like some I've heard) of rating a 100-point wine - yes a sure-fire guaranteed 100 point wine - only 91 points in a blind tasting! Imagine that! A wine lover doesn't even know a 100pt wine when he tastes it. He thinks it's only 91! What an idiot! Whereas guys like you are able to nail wines quadruple blind.

And, here's the best bit - it was 2000 Pavie. Unbelieveable! I mean, we disected this wine in long threads before we'd even tasted it, and this dill doesn't even recognise it. Everyone knew it was 100 points. Ha! This poor sap will end up agreeing with Jancis Robinson. (Er, hang on, was that 2003? Actually, it doesn't matter now I think about it, as they were both 100-pt wines.)

Anyway, that's all beside the point probably - I should be telling you how good you are. And let me say, Jeff Jeff Biancamano, you are one impressive fella. I raise my glass to you. (I don't know what's in it, because I'm doing a quintuple blind tasting myself. But I'm pretty certain I'll get the points right!)

power to you buddy,
Graeme
no avatar
User

JJBiancamano

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 am

NYC/NJ

by JJBiancamano » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Thanks! I feel like Ted Williams on a 56 game hitting streak! Which of course would be rather incredible considering he's frozen and never accomplished that feat when he was alive....
Life is what happens to you while
you're busy making other plans.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Lovely post! Really brightened up my day. :) Great parody is always welcome.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:10 pm

James, great to see you back again and in great form to boot. This was a scream.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

gregory dal piaz

Rank

Just got here

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm

by gregory dal piaz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Just signed back up just to add my kudos. Great work.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Robin, good work putting this on the main forum.

Greg, good to see you over "here". Welcome!

JJB, again,this is the stuff of legend!
no avatar
User

Mishy M.

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:38 pm

by Mishy M. » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:24 pm

I re-signed up JUST to congratulate you on this post, bloody hilarious !!!

So many reasons to laugh, if it all wasn't so sarcastically true.
Thanks for the 10 belly-laughs - that feels good.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Yet another 91 point post. Although I read it blind so maybe it really is a 92 pointer
no avatar
User

Jane B

Rank

Just got here

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:55 pm

by Jane B » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:09 pm

This is classis stuff JJB!

Thanks for the laugh!
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:30 pm

When I read the original, I knew there would be good things to come. Thanks for the belly roll. I've actually had dinner with the guy once...he's everything he's cracked up to be...and more.
Regards,
Gregg