The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Would you pay $500 dollars for a bottle of wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Is a $250 bottle of wine 10 times better than a $25 bottle?

Yes, most assuredly.
17%
No, not at all.
44%
Perhaps, but I can't afford to find out.
40%

Total votes : 48
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Would you pay $500 dollars for a bottle of wine?

by James Roscoe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:This thread has devolved from inteligent discussion to troll baiting.

LL keep the faith baby!

Peace!

What in the hell is troll-baiting? Can one do this kind of thing with dynamite?

But seriously, it's a good thing none of us has the time or energy anymore for a good, solid old-school campaign of hate. I did my last one with the newbies on Wine Therapy a couple of months ago. Since then, I feel all spent. Still, while I had that kind of juice in me, it was fun... Who knows? Maybe I'll get it in me again...

Oh, and what exactly is this "faith" you speak of?

Troll-baiting is like bear-baiting. It's in one of the deleted scenes from the Two Towers I think. Lou is the master. As I said I think it was outlawed during the Hayes administration. However in certain internet sites the art has been resurrected.

I don't know what I meant by 'faith". It just sounded so hip. When you're 47 you go with whatever. Keep your groove on then. I don't know. Just keep doing what your doing.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:20 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:What in the hell is troll-baiting? Can one do this kind of thing with dynamite?

But seriously, it's a good thing none of us has the time or energy anymore for a good, solid old-school campaign of hate. I did my last one with the newbies on Wine Therapy a couple of months ago. Since then, I feel all spent. Still, while I had that kind of juice in me, it was fun... Who knows? Maybe I'll get it in me again...

Oh, and what exactly is this "faith" you speak of?

Troll-baiting is like bear-baiting. It's in one of the deleted scenes from the Two Towers I think. Lou is the master. As I said I think it was outlawed during the Hayes administration. However in certain internet sites the art has been resurrected.

I don't know what I meant by 'faith". It just sounded so hip. When you're 47 you go with whatever. Keep your groove on then. I don't know. Just keep doing what your doing.

Robin, can you get gid of this double post? I can't figure out how to do it.
Last edited by James Roscoe on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:26 pm

This stuff reads very much like Beckett...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:33 pm

James Roscoe wrote: Keep your groove on then.

See? This I can dig. Now, on the one...

And yes, Lou would be a master of this activity you're describing.

I'm still wondering if anyone can actually come up with a little algebraic thingie to put the use value of that $250 bottle of wine at 10 times that of the $25 one.

Like I said before, without getting anyone to jump on the suggestion, I beleive Marx is of great use on the subject of $500 bottles of wine, even if for comic relief. Failing Marx, one can also call up last night's episode of
Entourage on HBO-On-Demand. $20,000 sneakers... I found that hilarious.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:37 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:
James Roscoe wrote: Keep your groove on then.

See? This I can dig. Now, on the one...

And yes, Lou would be a master of this activity you're describing.

Glad to oblige.

I was once on the wrong end of Lou's stick. Never again! (That's an ugly visual)

Keep the groove on!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 am

TimMc wrote:So you resort to labeling and calling names.

Now...now we see exactly how shallow those of you who stoop to such measures really are.

Nice.

dink.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am

One of the reasons I'm here, rather than on a certain other US board, is the general cheerfulness shown by the participants, including/especially it's moderator. Wine is enjoyed and thoughts on it shared with passion.

Tim's premise is not an unfair comment - that some wine producers are attempting to milk the prices by clever strategies of relative scarcity and perceived quality. Such accusations have been laid at producers such as Cloudy Bay in recent years, Bordeaux in recent centuries!

That's not to say all $500 wine is overpriced (or that some $20 wine isn't). As I said at the start, each individual can make their own judgement about value.

It's best if we all take Robin's lead and step back from the fight and dust ourselves down. There's no broken bones and we all have as many teeth as we started with.

This board IMO has a great opportunity to make it's name as a civilised forum where debates are held, but grudges aren't. People get bored of seeing too many fights and will tend to drift away, so for the good of the board (and it's bright future), I propose we move along and make a mental note to always avoid inflaming the debates. Using this skill is of great use in our lives outside of wine fora.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:33 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Tim's premise is not an unfair comment - that some wine producers are attempting to milk the prices by clever strategies of relative scarcity and perceived quality. Such accusations have been laid at producers such as Cloudy Bay in recent years, Bordeaux in recent centuries!

Absolutely so, Ian. The topic is an excellent one, one of the core issues that arise as soon as we move from talking about wine itself to talking about its economics and the industry that produces it. It's a shame this thread developed a few warm spots, but believe me, things have been much hotter than this around here in the past, and they likely will again. This one's barely above tepid. ;)

Thanks for your other kind comments ... when you consider that this forum is the current iteration of an online community that's been essentially seamless (through a wacky line of disparate dwelling places) since 1985, I like to think we've learned a few things about keeping the shiny side up and the greasy side down.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

Ian, Tim is more than welcome to hang around an come up with other (sound) threads. I have no ill feeling towards him, and could come to like him in time. It's just a wine forum after all.

However, how he handles (or doesn't handle) responses will need to change.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 am

JoePerry wrote:Ian, Tim is more than welcome to hang around an come up with other (sound) threads. I have no ill feeling towards him, and could come to like him in time. It's just a wine forum after all.

Well said, Joe.

However, how he handles (or doesn't handle) responses will need to change.

That, too.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 am

TimMc wrote: Perhaps a mirror would be useful for them at this point.

Well, yes, but that's because otherwise we have trouble parting our hair properly.

Tim, in all seriousness, most folks are more exagerated in their on-line personalities. But I can tell you from face to face experience that any number of hte folks here are cordial, pleasant, friendly and even well groomed. In my opinion you are pushing buttons and then acting shocked when they are pushed back. That is a troll no matter what Wikipedia says.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:25 pm

Robin's right: as threads go, this one has been fairly tepid.

It got interesting a few times, but no one ever took the gloves off on Tim.

Tim shows some promise as a wine troll, but he's still very inexperienced. He seriously overplays his hand on numerous occasions. He needs to develop more subtlety, that's for sure. And he hasn't yet discovered the fine art of spinning webs with sticky silk, of enticing people into contradicting themselves and then pouncing on them gleefully, or of confusing them with a rope-a-dope technique (mastered by the great Plotnicki).

Nope, Tim is no Jaimie Goode, and not even close to Plotnicki the Magnificent. Chris Coad could demolish him in...oh, about three volleys. Thor could abuse him so badly he'd be traumatized for weeks. God forbid Loesberg or Dressner or SFJoe got wrathful. Heck, I'm minor league next to those guys, but I could've ranked on Tim easily if he had been a bit more deft in his sallies. As it was, he was far too blatant and mawkish for me to stay interested.

But if Tim keeps applying himself, closely studies the masters, develops a little sophistication, a little craft for God's sake, and becomes a lot more devious, he could eventually amount to something. And a little bit of this, from time to time, keeps things amusing[/list]
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Let's not open the box again...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:29 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Let's not open the box again...

Haha! Great Señor Wences reference!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:49 pm

Guys,

I meant no harm and am not at all shocked, as someone suggested, since I was not "pushing buttons" as a matter of course. Accuse me of being a troll and I will fire up on you, to be certain. I do not do this to people and expect to treated in the same vein. Fair?

Having said that, I am not one to shy away from a good debate, on any topic, and as a former successful HS Forensics and Debate coach, could debate circles around most on this BBS. Insult is not debate and if we are to examine ones "enticing rope-a-dope technique", schoolyard bullying via name calling would be a classic example of a troll. Claiming the high ground afterward only exposes this behavior to certain intellectual scrutiny by those who understand the difference. I debate the issues, not people's personalities. I figure those who must rely on insult need to refine their methods and civilize-up a bit.

Nevertheless, as long as folks are willing to accept the reality of my sincerity in being on this board and for the pure enjoyment of wine and learning of it's intricacies...we'll get along just fine.

To know me is to love me :wink:
Last edited by TimMc on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:One of the reasons I'm here, rather than on a certain other US board, is the general cheerfulness shown by the participants, including/especially it's moderator. Wine is enjoyed and thoughts on it shared with passion.

Tim's premise is not an unfair comment - that some wine producers are attempting to milk the prices by clever strategies of relative scarcity and perceived quality. Such accusations have been laid at producers such as Cloudy Bay in recent years, Bordeaux in recent centuries!

That's not to say all $500 wine is overpriced (or that some $20 wine isn't). As I said at the start, each individual can make their own judgement about value.

It's best if we all take Robin's lead and step back from the fight and dust ourselves down. There's no broken bones and we all have as many teeth as we started with.

This board IMO has a great opportunity to make it's name as a civilised forum where debates are held, but grudges aren't. People get bored of seeing too many fights and will tend to drift away, so for the good of the board (and it's bright future), I propose we move along and make a mental note to always avoid inflaming the debates. Using this skill is of great use in our lives outside of wine fora.

regards

Ian

And thank you, Ian.

You strike me as one of the GoodGuys on this BBS...Bob Ross being another.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 pm

If everyones had their last word, we can move along now...
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:01 pm

TimMc wrote:And thank you, Ian.

oops - just blown that!

Seriously, it is time to move back onto wine, so Tim, what's lit up your wine-drinking over the last couple of weeks?
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Hoke wrote:
Nope, Tim is no Jaimie Goode, and not even close to Plotnicki the Magnificent. Chris Coad could demolish him in...oh, about three volleys. Thor could abuse him so badly he'd be traumatized for weeks. God forbid Loesberg or Dressner or SFJoe got wrathful. Heck, I'm minor league next to those guys, but I could've ranked on Tim easily if he had been a bit more deft in his sallies. As it was, he was far too blatant and mawkish for me to stay interested.

Hoke,
I love your list. Chris is too poetic to really be a troll, but a great literary enjoyment. Never considered Jamie Goode or Thor even in competition. Dressner is too obtuse and SF Joe seems like a nice guy. Don't know this Loesberg guy. Plotnicki is in a league by himself and dominates; good guy, understand him to be fun and a master at the troll craft. Tim is out of his league. Wish I could have read all of this but this my company's busy season and I have to work. Hell, I hardly have time to drink wine, let alone post TNs.
Walt
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:

oops - just blown that!

Seriously, it is time to move back onto wine, so Tim, what's lit up your wine-drinking over the last couple of weeks?

Budget has been a bit limited of late, but Syrahs mostly....and a few Pinot Grigios.

The difficulty I have around where I live is in the availablity of French, Spanish and Italian wines. Bordeaux's are fairly easy to get, though.

Most of what I have available to sample are Aussie or California [Napa/Sonoma and the Central Coast] wines with the occasional wine out of Washington or Oregon [not much to report there, unfortunately].
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 pm

(I've never used this before but it is only fitting)

ROTFL :lol:

Must. wipe. tears. from. eyes.

Yes, let's get back to wine.

I've got an old (1918) Oloroso in queue for next weekend; I'm stoked since the few high-end dry sherries I've tasted have been killer.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 pm

TimMc wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:

oops - just blown that!

Budget has been a bit limited of late, but Syrahs mostly....and a few Pinot Grigios.

The difficulty I have around where I live is in the availablity of French, Spanish and Italian wines. Bordeaux's are fairly easy to get, though.

Most of what I have avaiable to sample are Aussie or California [Napa/Sonoma and the Central Coast] wines with the occasional wine out of Washington or Oregon [not much to report there, unfortunately].

Any consistently good value Californian wines for me to look out for? Maybe some larger production, but solid wines that might make it here. I've got some Ridge in the cellar (a couple of halves of zin and a 99 petit syrah I think), which might be a thought for open mike sometime down the line :idea: . They're one of the rare producers that comes over in any volume, yet at fairly sensible prices (there is of course plenty of high volume, made to a price point wine that joins the others on the supermarket shelves).

Australia is my 1st love winewise but I'm enjoying the charms of Italy, where the extremes of pricing are, well, extreme! Drank a beautiful Puglian wine last week at about £4 for the bottle, yet I'll also pay daft money for Barolo, which can be very hit and miss for the price (but the hits are well worth it IMO).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 pm

So Joe....is there something to your last post or are you just browsing?

I do not possess the bank account to buy expensive and/or rare wine. You've got something to say relative to that, let's hear it.

Pardon me if I base my answer on the question which inquired about the last two weeks.
Last edited by TimMc on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:37 pm

wrcstl wrote:
Hoke wrote:

Hoke,
I love your list. Chris is too poetic to really be a troll, but a great literary enjoyment. Never considered Jamie Goode or Thor even in competition. Dressner is too obtuse and SF Joe seems like a nice guy. Don't know this Loesberg guy. Plotnicki is in a league by himself and dominates; good guy, understand him to be fun and a master at the troll craft. Tim is out of his league. Wish I could have read all of this but this my company's busy season and I have to work. Hell, I hardly have time to drink wine, let alone post TNs.
Walt

Walt, Hoke listed Jamie and Plotnicki* as trolls. The rest of the guys on the list are troll squashers. He was saying that (omitted) wouldn't stand a chance against one of those big Billy Goats Gruff.

Best,
Joe

*I like Steve, he's a good troll, a la http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Troll_in_Central_Park
PreviousNext