The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Masi Amarone and Ch-Ca Muscadet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Masi Amarone and Ch-Ca Muscadet

by Saina » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Suvi, lovely girl though she is, has some strange loves wine-wise: she loves Amarone. I humour her on occasion. She gladly also loves Muscadet. I don't really care for Amarone (I find it too sweet (odd that I love dessert wines, then ;) ) and full bodied despite its savoury elements), but I do love Muscadet almost as much as I love Musar.

• 2001 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Costasera - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (8/4/2006)
    Very dark red. The nose was very closed at first, but with an hour in the decanter opened up beautifully (if you like the stuff, of course): chocolate, dill, damp earth and much fruit but gladly savoury in character. Unfortunately the 15% caused a stinging in my nostrils. The palate was very fruity and sweet with some savoury character. Primary of course, but a nice, little bit savoury type of Amarone. Unfortunately the alcohol caused a stinging feeling in my throat also. A true enough example of the type, but not my cup of tea though.
  • 2005 Chéreau-Carré Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Château de Chasseloir - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (8/4/2006)
    What a dashed shame my supplies of this are running out. It is 0,50 l, i.e. just the right size for two people to share. Youthfully primary and fruity (must be the warm year also) but with lovely savoury and salty notes as well. The palate is wonderfully fruity, a little bit too un-zippy in its acidity, but with lovely savoury qualities. Very nice stuff anyway! I'll gladly drink this whenever, though it isn't as mineral as I would have hoped (and as I remembered this wine to be).

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Masi Amarone and Ch-Ca Muscadet

by James Roscoe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Suvi has good tastes. Amarone is great stuff. Make sure you have it with food. I love it with duck breast. Don't give up on the style,it is lovely (I imagine just like Suvi).
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Muscadet in 500ml bottles? I've never seen that. We usually don't go through a 750ml in one sitting but that stuff only gets better after a day or two (or 3) in the fridge.
Ahh, amarone. I've got a thing for Bertani myself. Love the stuff.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:27 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Suvi has good tastes. Amarone is great stuff. Make sure you have it with food. I love it with duck breast. Don't give up on the style,it is lovely (I imagine just like Suvi).

Food was there - but in my opinion it just made the alcohol stick out more. There were some lovely savoury notes there, though, so I'd like to get my hands on an aged example to see if that would be to my taste. But I'm sure that no matter how lovely the wine is, the company will be lovelier. ;)

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Muscadet in 500ml bottles? I've never seen that. We usually don't go through a 750ml in one sitting but that stuff only gets better after a day or two (or 3) in the fridge.
Ahh, amarone. I've got a thing for Bertani myself. Love the stuff.

I haven't seen this size before either but I love it! If you want a little buzz but want to be headache free (well ... usually anyway ...) the next morning: drink the whole thing. If not: share it or drink it over a couple days. Ideal for all situations. I'd like to see more table wines in this size actually.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.