The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wall Street Journal on becoming a wine sales person.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Wall Street Journal on becoming a wine sales person.

by Bob Ross » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:26 am

This is a regular feature of the WSJ covering a variety of jobs. This week: wine salesman [quoted with permission]:

Pay Grade
Commission by the Cork

By AJA CARMICHAEL
July 18, 2006; Page B7

The job: A wine salesperson

The pay: Starting pay for a retail salesperson at a high-end wine shop in New York is around $15 an hour. At the wholesale level, the average annual salary for a field sales representative is $61,494, according to Western Management Group, a compensation-survey company in Los Gatos, Calif. Experienced salespeople for distributors or wineries say they can earn a base salary of up to $90,000 -- plus commissions of 4% to 10% of sales.

The hours: Commission-based wine sellers tend to work more than 50 hours a week, and many say they work weekends and some late hours.

Benefits: Larger wineries and distributors offer health-care, dental, vision and prescription-drug benefits. Smaller companies -- often family-operated -- may not offer extensive benefit packages.

Other incentives: Wine at wholesale prices, year-end bonuses and free sample bottles of wine after tastings. Companies often pay for an employee's solicitor permit.

Career path: Start by working at a restaurant with a liquor license; many restaurateurs are willing to teach employees how to purchase wine, negotiate sales and observe customers' taste in wine.

Best part of the job: Finding the best value. "Most of our clients are multimillionaires and they value good wine," says Worrell Couto, co-owner of the New York Wine Exchange, a retailer in Manhattan's financial district. "Just because they have money doesn't mean they like spending it. I'm assuming that's how they stay millionaires."

Worst part of the job: A commission-based salary. "No matter how hard I work an entire month...the first of the month I start off at zero," says Fernando Alva, 31, a commission-based wine salesman at T Edward Wines, a wholesaler in New York. But, he adds, "it's nice to know my success is based on how hard I actually work."

Hiring: http://www.winejobs.com1 and http://www.winespectator.com2

Write to Aja Carmichael at aja.carmichael@wsj.com3

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115318871591209461.html

no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

Re: Wall Street Journal on becoming a wine sales person.

by John Fiola » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm

And as they say in the wine business:

The only way to make a small fortune in the wine business is to start off

with a large fortune

:D
Cheers,
John