The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

When should I drink an Eiswein?

by Andrew Shults » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 pm

Today I purchased a 2004 Kracher Eiswein Cuvee (Welschriesling and Chardonnay, I think). It was on sale for $5 off, but even the discounted price of $30 for a half-bottle is a significant splurge for me.

My only other icewine was a little 2004 Jackson-Triggs Vidal split for $16.15 (also a discounted price). I opened it soon after purchase, and my girlfriend called my reaction a wine-gasm. :D

Any advice about when to open the Kracher? Since I don't get to experience this luxury often, I want to savor it when it's at its best.

Thanks.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: When should I drink an Eiswein?

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:09 pm

My advice is drink it whenever you feel like it. Eiswein is always open for business, and while it changes with age I can't say that I think it gets better, just different.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:23 am

I agree with David. I haven't had any that was more than six or seven years old, and don't intend to. They are so wonderful in their youth. I hope to see a few at MoCOOL this year. Hell, maybe I'll bring a couple of those, too.
-OW
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:28 am

$16 for a half bottle of JT Vidal Icewine is a hell of a bargain - they usually sell for about $40-$50 in the US. The Kracher sounds like a good price too.

I'd drink the Vidal fairly soon (1-2 years): it is a relatively low acid grape/wine, and can lose what little freshness it has with too much time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:07 am

Wow, if she called your reaction to the Jackson Triggs a winegasm, she better suit up for the Kracher. Or maybe watch from another room. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:43 am

Jenise wrote:Wow, if she called your reaction to the Jackson Triggs a winegasm, she better suit up for the Kracher. Or maybe watch from another room. :)

Or share it.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Or share it.

Oh, that's a given. Once he calms down, that is. 8)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 11:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am

since the german version will have about half the RS of the ontario version and more acid, it should last a bit longer; but, again, it will be so delicious now that.......
david creighton
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:55 am

by alex metags » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:57 pm

John S wrote:
$16 for a half bottle of JT Vidal Icewine is a hell of a bargain - they usually sell for about $40-$50 in the US. The Kracher sounds like a good price too.

I've a feeling the reference to a "split" meant 187 ml. I've seen those selling for anywhere between US$15 - 20 where I live. We enjoyed our little bottle while watching Canada win Olympic gold in hockey this year. (Too bad about the men's team though!)

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Ah, not a 375? It might also be a 200 ml bottle, as that is fairly common with Canadian icewines.