The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Oldies but Goodies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 2 Oldies but Goodies

by geo t. » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:18 pm

1979 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee La Tourtine, 13% alc.: How does one describe a wonderful wine like this? Bennett Traub, who opened this rusty ruby colored lovely for us, called it "a chameleon," saying that "it smells almost Burgundian," and in fact, it’s hard to put a finger on any specific fruit flavors here; it’s all about tertiary characteristics, with earthy, leathery mushroom being the most obvious. Tannins are fully resolved, and the wine shows impeccable balance and a wonderful presence, being right there, right now for optimum enjoyment. Easily one of the two or three best Bandols I’ve ever had the pleasure to taste, and maybe the very best; a most memorable wine.

Imported by Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant, Berkeley, CA

1982 Chateau Latour a Pomerol, 12% alc.: Showing only some slight bricking to the dark garnet color, this offers up lovely flavors and aromas of earth, mahogany, old wood and tobacco-cigar box; at its peak, with tannins perfectly resolved and so smooth on the palate. Like with the ‘79 La Tourtine, the character is entirely secondary, or tertiary, with little in the way of any specific fruit that can be described, and yet this is rich, delicious and, in short, wonderful. Once again, many thanks to Bennett Traub for sharing this marvelous "old soldier."

Imported by Dreyfus, Ashby & Co., New York, NY

- From Wine with Friends

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

Re: WTN: 2 Oldies but Goodies

by Ruth B » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:41 am

A Burgundian smelling Bandol--now THAT is some serious bottle age! We see very few Bandols up here, but the couple that I have consumed with about 10 years on them are still beasts!

Do you think the Latour was past its best or did it just arrive there at the age of 24?

your sis

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: WTN: 2 Oldies but Goodies

by geo t. » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Ruth B wrote:A Burgundian smelling Bandol--now THAT is some serious bottle age! We see very few Bandols up here, but the couple that I have consumed with about 10 years on them are still beasts!

Do you think the Latour was past its best or did it just arrive there at the age of 24?

your sis

Ruth

Hey Ruth, how the heck are ya? You know, that Bandol smelled like Bandol to me, but I always like to add others' impressions when tasting with friends, as you know. As for the Latour, I don't have any previous experience with it, but judging from what we tasted, I'd say it's at or close to its peak. Just darned yummy stuff.

Best to you, Stacy and the pooches!

Your bro,

geo

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus