The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anti-headache spoofulation?????

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Anti-headache spoofulation?????

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:34 pm

The Sacramento Bee business section has an article today on a wine yeast genetically engineered to produce wines lacking in amines (histamine would be the big one, I'd guess). This yeast provides both primary and malolactic fermentations, avoiding the bacteria which can result in amines in the finished wine. Interesting stuff. The article is here (free reg required, I believe).

It would be very interesting to taste wine made with this stuff. What do y'all think?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Anti-headache spoofulation?????

by Thomas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:39 pm

Is that a wine yeast for primary fermentation or is that a malolactic culture strain?

I know of an ml culture that the manufacturer is pushing--wrote an article about the subject for Wines and Vines. But I have not heard of a primary fermentation yeast development to inhibit amine production.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Shaji

by Shaji » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 pm

When I get migraines, guess what makes it better? I kid you not..but red wine does the trick all the time. My better half sometimes wonder if I am using that as an excuse to direct the choice of wine for dinner.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Thomas wrote:Is that a wine yeast for primary fermentation or is that a malolactic culture strain?

I know of an ml culture that the manufacturer is pushing--wrote an article about the subject for Wines and Vines. But I have not heard of a primary fermentation yeast development to inhibit amine production.

It's a yeast that's had a gene from a malo-lactic strain put into it so that it provides both fermentations during primary. It's an interesting concept from the standpoint of easily reducing amine formation. Probably a little too franken-yeasty for most consumers, though....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:51 pm

Shaji wrote:When I get migraines, guess what makes it better? I kid you not..but red wine does the trick all the time. My better half sometimes wonder if I am using that as an excuse to direct the choice of wine for dinner.

On the other hand, red wine causes migraines for my father. He's allergic to the anthocyanin pigments that give red wine its color. White wine causes him no problems, but red and rose are out.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:It's a yeast that's had a gene from a malo-lactic strain put into it so that it provides both fermentations during primary. It's an interesting concept from the standpoint of easily reducing amine formation. Probably a little too franken-yeasty for most consumers, though....

Mike

Oh, that explains it. I might have to read up on this. Thanks.
Thomas P