The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I can't stand it!!!! It's MOCOOL, friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

I can't stand it!!!! It's MOCOOL, friends

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:42 pm

We are a week away from the greatest of all annual winetasting events, MoCOOL, and NO ONE is talking about what they are bringing, or what they want to see.

I am sans spouse this year - Bether is playing in one of those Ryder Cup like competitions that weekend - so I guess I will only bring 9 or 11 bottles. A couple or more for Fri nite, some for breakfast Sat., and the rest for the picnic. A sticky or two, maybe a bubbly, but primarily St. Estephe 1990.
So I have one or three spots left in the case to round out some horozontal or fill in some gap or make for an interesting contrast to something someone is bringing. But nobody is talking.

So what are YOU bringing to MoCOOL?
-OW
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: I can't stand it!!!! It's MOCOOL, friends

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:15 pm

OW Holmes wrote:So what are YOU bringing to MoCOOL?

Because I fly in (and maybe because I'm a cheapskate), I generally only bring three or four bottles. And I suppose for the benefit of newbies, it should be mentioned that one bottle is all that each person is <i>expected</i> to bring. It's perfectly fine to bring cases, but not in any way required. End of sermon. :)

I've dug up a <b>1990 Pol Roger Brut</b> that's both Sixteen AND Bubbly, and a <b>Pocas 1990 Porto Seguro VP</b> that's both Sixteen and Sweet. At this point, my big concern here is getting the VP in without having it be a muddy mess of stirred-up sediment. I'm wondering if I double-decant and put it back in the bottle, <i>sans</i> sediment, if it will be possible to recork it firmly enough to send it in checked baggage without leaking. Stupid security, the Brits arrest 21 Pakistanis under 30, and now American wine geeks can't carry on bottles. Harrumph.

I still think I've got a Chateau La Roque 1990 Pic Saint Loup Cupa Numismae around here, which may or may not be dead and also might suffer travel shock, but if I can find it, I'll throw it in anyway.

And I'm not sure about Friday night. Might jump out of character (for me) and bring along the most recent selection from California Wine Club's high-end Connoisseurs' Series, if they look like something this group will enjoy.
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

by Tyler Brebbermann » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:28 am

I will be bringing the De Faveri - Spumante Rose Extra Dry to contribute to the bubbly table. I tried it again tonight and am really excited about it. It is without a doubt the best sparkling wine I've had this summer.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 am

I don't have any '90s, and no sweeties on hand (note to self - go visit Ed Draves at Premier this week) but I have a few home made bubblies, a few other home mades and several others, mostly whites. I'll probably be bringing in 2 cases, some of those bottles are gifts.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:53 am

OW Holmes wrote:So what are YOU bringing to MoCOOL?

Hi O. W.

I am bringing at least 4 wines to MoCool. 2 are mostly for Paul B, a cynthiana (norton) from Wiederkehrs in Arkansas and a chancellor from St. Julians in Michigan, both for the picnic. A Spanish cab (Perelada) for Friday night and a Canadian riesling ice wine (Konzelmann) for the picnic as my on theme wine. No 1990s, as I could not find anything affordable in Ontario. I may bring another wine for Friday, depending on whether we are able to do lunch at the Hawthorn.

Sorry to hear Beth can't make it this year. I guess you will have to hang out with rest of us wine bums :wink: for the weekend.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 am

I'm also bringing the wine glass you left at NiagaraCOOL. :oops:
no avatar
User

Dave Guimond

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:29 am

by Dave Guimond » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Guido will bring 4 1990 Burgundies(3 Grand Cru), a Bubbly and a 1986 Sauternes. Oh yeah, and a new theme song too!

See you all next week!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:58 pm

Guido, I know who I am hanging close to on Saturday. 4 1990 burgs!, Who woulda thunk it of you? :)
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 pm

I think I have 4 different 1990's, for the picnic, one of which is worthy. For Friday, I will bring a couple bottles from south of the equator that might be worthy too. And for Sat morning three, one of which I want to give about 12 hours of decanting. And if we have a little taste earlier on Friday, I think I have a 1985 Montebello. I sure hope it is still in good form. BTW, the 12 hour decanting wine is a white. So, I guess I will probably be hauling about a case north with me.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:38 pm

Hey! I went to the liquor store that Ed Draves works for and scored a bottle of 1990 Mumm's Cordon Rouge Brut. Like Robin, I killed two stones with one bird. I also picked up a Johnson Estate Vidal Ice Wine.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 am

Hey O W !!!
I am more excited than a kid before Christmas. Only 4 more days!!! Like that kid who lusts over the Sears Toy Catalog, I had been perusing the online wine sellers for wines to add to my wishlist all summer. Unfortunately, with the record breaking highs across the country in July, I thought better of having anything shipped. So, I was at the mercy of what my Ohio wine purveyors could offer. I settled upon a bubbly, Jean Laurent Blanc de Noir '90 and a '90 Ch. Filhot Sauterne.
I'm planning to arrive as early Friday as possible to hit some of the local wine shops. Hopefully, hook up with people as they arrive for a glass of welcome wine. Can't wait to see you, but am totally bummed about Beth not coming. (If she asks, we'll tell her we're not having any fun. )
See you soon!!!!
:lol:
JuliaB
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:01 pm

Hey, Julia.
I'm just like you, both in excitement and in shopping for wines of 1990 fot the picnic. I ended up buying 3 from a place in Chicago, but didn't have them sent because of the tremendous heat, so am left with a couple of St. Estephe's, and some stickies, for the picnic - but will make up in other ways I hope.
See you Friday.
Beth can't make it, but last night our daughter Karn said she might be able to make it to the picnic, at least. You will enjoy her too.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jay Baldwin

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Michigan

by Jay Baldwin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:45 am

I've been so crazy busy I haven't thought about what to bring! I've got a fair bit, small lots, of 1990s (one reason I came up with the idea!). Maybe a Graham Malvedos Porto here. Maybe a Rosemount Show Reserve Shiraz there. Maybe a Dom. Marcoux CNDP. And I've still got some Pegau and Bois de Boursan from 1990, of course. A few decent Bordeaux. A few Cal Cabs. Where to begin?

Jay
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 am

That's a REALLY tough problem, Jay. We all feel for you.......
-OW
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

Bottles, bottles and more bottles.

by Mike Conner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:52 am

Oliver,

I am now like 92.3794601% sure that I'll make the drive . . . so I suppose I should mention the wines for the Picnic...

You mentioned 1990 St. Estephe, so I've got a '90 Phelan Segur to add to the mini-horizontal (or, a second bottle if that was one of yours).

Second bottle is a 1990 Lagrange, St. Julien.

And, if Robin agrees to acquiesce, I'll trade a pour of 1990 Trouillard Cuvee du Fondateur (Trouillard's top bottling) for the '90 Pol Roger (one of my favorites). (well, Robin doesn't really, as it isn't like I'm going to drive back to Knoxville with the full bottle!)

I'll probably find something sweet to bring for the picnic, but haven't put much thought into that.

Then, I've got some wine geek wines for the Friday gathering, and a little something that Henrick and you O.W. were working on for Saturday AM.

Also, barring something horrific, I'll have some time for Saturday set-up and Sunday tear down.

Which reminds me . . . Sunday . . . anything mentioned about Sunday and sipping or tasting? Haven't pulled anything for Sunday yet - sorta waiting on seeing if anyone pops up with a thought.

Thanks,

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Bottles, bottles and more bottles.

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:55 am

Mike Conner wrote:And, if Robin agrees to acquiesce, I'll trade a pour of 1990 Trouillard Cuvee du Fondateur (Trouillard's top bottling) for the '90 Pol Roger (one of my favorites). (well, Robin doesn't really, as it isn't like I'm going to drive back to Knoxville with the full bottle!)

Hey, I'm down for that, Mike. Or up for it. Whatever! Glad you're going to be there!
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

by David Cohen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:28 pm

Julia

I am looking forward to seeing you. Alan, Catherine and I are arriving in time for the pic nic and leaving Sunday AM before the wine stores open. Perhaps I can pursuade you to buy me one of two bottlings on Saturday at Village Corner if available?
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Hey David. You missed last year, didn't you? It will be nice to see you again.
I will probably hit Village Corner on Fri afternoon, or Sat morning. What can I do for you????
-OW
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

I'm thinking about taking...

by Steve Kirsch » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

A red Burgundy and a Prum auslese, both 1990.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: I'm thinking about taking...

by OW Holmes » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:48 am

I sure hope I am around when all of these wines are opened.
See you all at MoCOOL.
And now, I'm off for AA. :D
-OW