The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2005 Lapostolle Clos Apalta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frederic von Hess

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 pm

2005 Lapostolle Clos Apalta

by Frederic von Hess » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Any thoughts on this? would like to try a bottle this weekend...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: 2005 Lapostolle Clos Apalta

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Frederic - I am going to move your topic into the regular wine talk area. In December we're discussing Champagne & Stickies in Wine Focus.

And welcome aboard the WLDG!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:16 am

Frederic von Hess wrote:Any thoughts on this? would like to try a bottle this weekend...

Yes, you should hate it because it is made by a big company and is designed to get big point scores from reviewers. It is made from overly mature grapes that lost some of their acidity so acid had to added. It has too much alcohol. It could be from anywhere because supermaturity obliterates differences between terroirs and varietals. Having said all that, it should be quite nice. Welcome aboard!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 am

Tell us how you really feel Oswaldo.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Frederic von Hess

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 pm

by Frederic von Hess » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:04 am

wups sorry... move it no prob, my mistake...

Haven't tried it yet so I can't make many comments, but I believe it's around 80% carmenere, and carmenere as well as merlot is not easy to overly mature in Chile, grapes dehydrate very very easily... if they do it and if the results are good... I guess they deserve some credit for it.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 am

In his article on Chile, Alder (Vinography) wrote:

Carmenere is Not a Good Candidate for Natural Winemaking
I was surprised to learn that nearly 100% of all Carmenere wines made in Chile are acidulated. For those unfamiliar with the term and practice, this means that the winemaker adds tartaric acid to the wine during the winemaking process to boost the acid levels of the finished wine. Wines without enough acidity don't taste very good, of course. Carmenere, by the time it gets fully ripe, apparently doesn't have enough acid to make a well balanced wine on its own. At least not the way it is grown in Chile at the moment. So apparently Chilean winemakers are faced with only two choices: add acid, or blend in other grapes that can correct the lack of acidity. I was told by several winemakers that they used Petite Verdot for this particular trick, but if they wanted to make a 100% Carmenere wine, they would most certainly have to add acid.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:16 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Tell us how you really feel Oswaldo.

I don't like it and I don't like the idea of it. To each his own, but I'd rather explore wines from regions where, most of the time, you don't have to chaptalize or acidulate, and avoid vintages where one of the other was widespread.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 am

Frederic,

I plan to hold my bottle of the '05 Clos Apalta for at least another year. Much as Oswaldo makes a compelling theoretical argument against liking the wine, I fall back on taste. The other vintages of Clos Apalta I have tried have tasted quite good. Please let me know how your '05 is doing. I would love an excuse to break mine out early.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Sam Platt wrote:...I fall back on taste.

An equally compelling argument. Of course, you like pear juice. :wink:
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Redwinger wrote:An equally compelling argument. Of course, you like pear juice.

But only pear juice fermented from the most semi-offensive grapes that the Mosel Valley has to offer.
:)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins