The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A few on the porch with friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: A few on the porch with friends

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm never very good at taking notes or concentrating on the wine when we entertain guests, so you may want to take these with a grain or two of NaCl.

2003 Schloss Schonborn, Hattenheimer Pfaffenberg, Kabinett, Rheingau, Riesling
I thought this was pretty simple and flabby. Upon further examination I also detected aromas of burnt brown sugar and molasses. No one else mentioned these aromas but alas I think this bottle was probably cooked. Damn!!! Way less than 1/2 the bottle consumed, so I will revisit it later today.

2004 Au Bon Climat, Santa Maria Valley, La Bauge Au-dessus, Pinot Noir
Over the last 6 months or so, I've been impressed by the recent Pinot offerings from this winery and this bottle was no exception. Very young and undoubtedly will benefit for a year or two in the cellar. Primary fruit, clove, pepper/spice on the finish. Shows its' best with food..duh! As I was praising this wine a certain IP Attorney present took the opportunity to make a snide remark about my "California Palate" coming out of the closet..

1995 Jamet, Cote Rotie
The IP guy mentioned in the previous paragraph also knows I am an unabashed "Jamet Slut" and brought this along for the group to enjoy. Did I mention I really like Jamet C-R? Bacon, smoke, violets all dancing around on a stage of black fruit. Unmistakable Jamet C-R. No need to drink these up as the tannins, fruit and acidity all suggest another 5-10 years until it reaches peak. It surely is evolving, but it was still a joy to drink now. There is still 2 or 3 oz. left that I am coveting.

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!