The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus March 2010: The Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Wine Focus March 2010: The Loire

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

JC (NC) wrote:Maybe I don't really relate to Cabernet Franc as a single variety or maybe this inexpensive wine is not a good representative of the grape.

I forget, but have you had some of the better producers?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

No, Rahsaan, I haven't.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:02 pm

JC (NC) wrote:No, Rahsaan, I haven't.

Well then you have something to look forward to!

Not sure what availability is like in your neighborhood. But Nathan Vandergrift in Durham sure seems to drink a lot of the great Loire wines.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:19 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Deep purple and opaque. Dark fruits on nose and palate. Not flawed but doesn't excite me. Maybe I don't really relate to Cabernet Franc as a single variety or maybe this inexpensive wine is not a good representative of the grape.

Deep purple and opaque are not descriptors I would associate with really good versions of Cab Franc.

There are a number of producers mentioned in this thread who do some really nice things with CF, wouldn't be a bad idea to search some of them out to get a sense of what can be done with the grape in really good hands.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 am

Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu “L’Anclaie” 1996 – Chateau Pierre-Bise, Papin-Chevalier – alc.13%, made from Chenin, was deliciously opulent with lively acid balance, minerals and aromas of white fruit (a lot of apricot) and seemingly of botrytis (not frequent in the Loire basin so can someone confirm its presence or not in 96?). It was adequate with goat cheese (too sweet), better with Roquefort (but not celestial like some claims) and excellent after the light but piquantly fruity dessert which brought out its acidity and, for me, improved the balance even more; 16.5/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 am

Tim York wrote:seemingly of botrytis (not frequent in the Loire basin so can someone confirm its presence or not in 96?)..

I always thought botrytis was fairly common in the Layon wines from warm years?

Thanks for the note. Sounds like fun and nice to see it holding up well.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Rahsaan, I think that you are right about botrytis being more frequent in Layon than in Vouvray. If I remember well, the 1996 autumn in France was in general characterised by bright sunlight and North winds which concentrated the grapes and dried out rot; but it may have been different in Layon and I think that they had good botrytis in Sauternes.

The remainder of the Anclaie was even better tonight seeming livelier, better integrated and longer; 17/20+. Either the overnight stay in the fridge was beneficial or my attempts to match with cheese diminished the wine (or a bit of both).
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Tim York wrote:Rahsaan, I think that you are right about botrytis being more frequent in Layon than in Vouvray..

And I believe the vineyards are the Layon are closer to the river and get more fog than in Vouvray. Or at least during my visit I was told something along these lines about the Layon climate specificities.
Previous