The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Paringa Sparkling Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

WTN: Paringa Sparkling Shiraz

by Dave Erickson » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:42 pm

About a year ago Gourmet magazine did some hype on sparkling shiraz. I myself tasted one years ago at Seppelt in the Barossa Valley, and it was wonderful. With its dark color and purple mousse, it looked like a prop from a Dracula movie, but it was light and dry and delicious. I wish I could say the same about the Paringa. It tastes like cheap Australian shiraz, only carbonated. Cola and bubblegum, on a chunky frame. Forget I ever mentioned it.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: WTN: Paringa Sparkling Shiraz

by Andrew Shults » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:28 am

I was thinking of buying a bottle of this. Thanks for the warning. You just saved me $10.

I'd still like to find a sparkling Shiraz worth trying at an affordable price. Anyone have some suggestions?
no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

by Cam Wheeler » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:50 am

Andrew Shults wrote:I was thinking of buying a bottle of this. Thanks for the warning. You just saved me $10.

I'd still like to find a sparkling Shiraz worth trying at an affordable price. Anyone have some suggestions?

Not sure if it is available in the US but one of the best value Sparkling Shiraz is Seppelt Original - around $10 USD here.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:21 am

Cam Wheeler wrote:
Andrew Shults wrote:I was thinking of buying a bottle of this. Thanks for the warning. You just saved me $10.

Not sure if it is available in the US but one of the best value Sparkling Shiraz is Seppelt Original - around $10 USD here.

Just had a look at wine-searcher and it appears not. Shame as it is the benchmark (along with the aged show version).

From what's listed, it seems Fox Creek Vixen is widely available, as are ones from Rumball. I've not had either, but they've both got a few vintages under their belts and would be a sensible starting point. I see Charles Melton Sparkling Shiraz listed in one place, which is good, but possibly a little pricey.

For many reasons I'd recommend avoiding McGuigans wines (current top of the list is their appalling treatment of contracted growers).

Hope this helps

Ian