The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two good, two bad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: Two good, two bad

by Bruce K » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:06 am

Couly-Dutheil 2002 Chinon Les Gravières , $13
As with previous bottles, this reminds more of Pinot Noir than Cabernet Franc, with cherry, sandalwood and cinnamon dominating the aromas and flavors. However, it has herbal and mineral notes that give this some Chinon character. It’s silky smooth and an excellent match with pesto. Importer: Elite Wine Imports.

Domaine de la Chanteleuserie 2001 Bourgueil Cuvée Alouettes, $13
Unlike some previous vintages, this is definitely on the weedy/herbal/green pepper side of the spectrum, but I like it anyway. There’s decent cherry fruit, nice acidity and a smooth texture. It does go very nicely with Middle Eastern food. Two days later, it’s better, more balanced and less green, yet still with nice herbal elements. Importer: Kermit Lynch.

Prunotto 2003 Barbera d'Asti Fiulot, $12
Rich, overextracted, pruny black fruits, almost syrupy in texture. Some acidity is there but the whole thing is disjointed. Clearly, a victim of the vintage. Better with capellini in tomato sauce than on its own. The next day, it’s a little mellower and more integrated but still too extracted for my taste with blue and black fruits and prunes. Importer: Winebow.

Cruzares 2001 Valdepeñas Tempranillo Crianza Marques de Moral, $6
This might be somewhat corked; the nose has a cardboardy element. Beyond that, there are some light cherry, vanilla and spice aromas and flavors, and it’s fairly smooth. Not great, though. I've had better bottles of this value wine. Importer: Kysela.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: TN: Two good, two bad

by Bob Ross » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:35 pm

Bruce, question.

How do you get Kermit Lynch imports? Shipped from the store? Or does Lynch supply other shops?

I've only been able to find KL imports through their website.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Bob,

I find Kermit Lynch imports at many of the wine stores in Washington, D.C., which is where I usually buy them -- never have ordered direct from the store. I take it they don't make to New Jersey, eh? Still, I bet you could find some in NYC -- in fact, if memory serves me correctly, I think Chambers Street has some.

-- Bruce
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Thanks. I'll try Chambers. I just signed up for the Pro version of Wine Searcher which will help me answer questions of that type.

I just checked the distributor list in NJ -- Lynch wasn't listed in the verision on file at our local wine bar, but that book has sometimes been inaccurate.

I've enjoyed a number of Lynch wines, but shipping from California has become a real factor in my wine loving acquisitions recently.

Thanks, and regards, Bob