The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Otto asks "who does the good ones?". Check this out!

WTN: `09 Domaine Lafond Roc Epine Tavel Rosé.

Grenache 50%, Cinsault 15%, Clairette 9%, Syrah 5% etc.

Color. Very dark blood orange, hard pushed to call this salmon pink or even light strawberry!

Nose. Rose petals, strawberry, raspberry, quite aromatic.

Palate. Dry, moderate acidity, good body, packs a racy punch! Some low tannin, sharp, focused, strawberry, herbal and spice. Quite unusual and "cranberry hints" from across the table. Mineral feel on a lengthy finish, excellent wine, $20 Cdn Buy more for sure.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2009 Nigl Zweigelt Rose
Crisp, almost spritzy in mouthfeel - this is very refreshing and in the watermelon/underripe strawberry vein. Nice - if not profound.

Mittelbach Rosé of Zweigelt 2009: Red currant, red cherry, bit of white peach, dry and a little bolder than previous vintages. Martin Mittelbach of Tegernseerhof makes this with fruit grown at his uncle's property, which if I remember correctly is in the Sudsteiermark region, which is why he doesn't use the winery name on the bottle.

In the Rhone, 2009 seems to have been a banner year for rosé. I agree that the Château de Ségriès Tavel is pretty big this time out, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. :D Francois Collard at Château Mourgues du Grès has produced a very pretty syrah/grenache blend (Go ahead and try it Otto, it's not as macho as the Ségriès). Daniel Boulle at Domaine les Aphillanthes, famous for big rich Rhones, also has a very graceful, very elegant '09 rosé.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I sill be tasting a bottle of Segries later this month.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Otto, I think I purchased the same Tavel rose' that you didn't like. It was the only Tavel in the wine shop.
In the past I have really like the Paul Jaboulet Aine "Les Trois Espiegles" Rose' from Tavel. It is described as 50% Grenache, 40% Cinsault, 10% Syrah with vines around 25 years old. Made from "saignees": cold maceration for a few hours untils the desired color is obtained. Aged 6 months in stainless steel tanks. Yield of 35 hl/ha. Deep salmon pink color. Aromas of tart red berries such as strawberry and raspberry. Match with tuna, duck, Asian food. Best enjoyed within 2 to 3 years.

In addition to the Tavel, I picked up a Sancerre rose' from Reverdy, a Beaujolais rose' which I will open tonight, an Italian rose' and a Schug Pinot Noir rose' from California. I wanted the Muga Rioja rosado but it wasn't available so I have asked about ordering three bottles of it. Two wine shops I checked had no Spanish rose wines except the 1998 Tondonia and I was looking for something fresher.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:36 pm

2008 Domaine de la Janasse Cotes du Rhone Rose'
50% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Cinsault
an Eric Solomon/European Cellars Selection purchased at Arthur's Wine Shop, Belk, in Charlotte for $12.99.
Deep salmon or coral color with some transparency. Pomegranate flavor with a suggestion of strawberries and limes also. First time I can remember getting lime in a wine from red-wine grapes. A little tart but in a refreshing way. On the first evening I paired it with ham and cubes of Asiago cheese. On the second evening I sipped it on its own. The third and final evening I had it with fried chicken breast. It proved quite versatile and good QPR.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Last night, we enjoyed a delightful new arrival:

Ameztoi Getarioko Txakolina Rubentis Rosado 2009

It is frizzante (or whatever the Basque term would be), light, totally refreshing. Strawberry and white peach flavors. This would be a killer substitute for Prosecco in a Bellini cocktail.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:14 am

Nice contributions JC and Bernard.

Ameztoi Getarioko Txakolina Rubentis Rosado 2009 - try saying that 5 times :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:30 am

Or once.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:13 am

do most people agree that a rose needs to be as fresh as possible - meaning 2009 for the northern half of the globe? i'm hoping that the wines JC mentioned are not from earlier vintages. btw, which Reverdy, JC? I just got back from Sancerre and visited Jean-Marie. I really liked his rose.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

David Creighton wrote:do most people agree that a rose needs to be as fresh as possible - meaning 2009 for the northern half of the globe? i'm hoping that the wines JC mentioned are not from earlier vintages. btw, which Reverdy, JC? I just got back from Sancerre and visited Jean-Marie. I really liked his rose.

David,

I do think that generally rosé wines should be as fresh as possible, however, I also know that there are some rosé wines that can take, or even demand some age to show their best. Just last evening I opened what I believe to be my last bottle of Steve Edmunds 2007 Bone Jolly rosé and found it to be as fresh as it was on release. Also there are (as you know) some Spanish rosé wines that demand quite a bit of aging to show their best. I have also found the Ch Lancyre rosé to be able to stand up to 2-3 years and still drink very well. Of course all this might just mean that my palate sucks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:52 am

David Creighton wrote:do most people agree that a rose needs to be as fresh as possible - meaning 2009 for the northern half of the globe? i'm hoping that the wines JC mentioned are not from earlier vintages. btw, which Reverdy, JC? I just got back from Sancerre and visited Jean-Marie. I really liked his rose.

I had my last bottle of the 2006 Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Rose in 2010. It was still very fine. Wth cold storage I don't think rose needs to be consumed immediately. That said I drink most of them within 2 years of the vintage (Lopez de Heredia excepted of course).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I had my last bottle of the 2006 Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Rose in 2010. It was still very fine.

Stelvin capped? I'm thinking that might be a factor in keeping rosé fresh a bit longer than the old CW, along with, as you say, cold storage and - of course - the particular style of the wine. I don't think I'd lap up Tempier Bandol rosé all that young, for example. And I'm pretty sure the Mosby Rosato I reported the other day will last for a couple of years, although it's really a light Cannonau red labeled as a pink.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Yes, screw cap. Not sure of the brand of cap.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm

• 2007 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Rosé - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/8/2010)

Under screwcap. Fresh strawberry/grapefruit. Good acidity and balance. This remains fresh and tasty both cold and at room temp. My last KB Rose and one of the best. I wish I had kept this a bit longer. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:43 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Yes, screw cap. Not sure of the brand of cap.

Definitely the Stelvin style, though, the heavy twistoff with a long neck that looks like a capsule. Does anybody but Pecheney (Stelvin) make those for the industry? I've never heard another name.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:45 pm

No, I think that better rosés can often age well. Case in point: 2006 Feudi di San Gregorio Ros'Aura consumed recently: dry, herbal, lush fruit, substantial but not alcoholic. Totally delicious.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm

To David Creighton,
The rose's I picked up were 2008 or 2009. I'm not sure which Reverdy in Sancerre. Will try to check tonight and post the name tomorrow or will clarify later in the month when I taste that wine. I will finish the Beaujolais Rose' tonight and post on it tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Stelvin capped? I'm thinking that might be a factor in keeping rosé fresh a bit longer than the old CW, along with, as you say, cold storage and - of course - the particular style of the wine. I don't think I'd lap up Tempier Bandol rosé all that young, for example. And I'm pretty sure the Mosby Rosato I reported the other day will last for a couple of years, although it's really a light Cannonau red labeled as a pink.

Robin,
I don't think I have seen Mosby wines in Kentucky in at least 15, maybe 20 years. Where are you getting them. In the day, Mosby was a particular favorite of mine.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I don't think I have seen Mosby wines in Kentucky in at least 15, maybe 20 years. Where are you getting them. In the day, Mosby was a particular favorite of mine.

I get them from the winery, Bob. I had no idea Mosby had ever been distributed in Kentucky. It's a fairly small producer and I think most of their sales are in California and online. Possibly a special deal with Liquor Barn and Gregg ... um, can't think of his last name ... Gregg, Mosby's tasting room manager, comes from somewhere in the general area of Lexington as I recall. Real nice guy - he's checked in on the forum on occasion.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Asimov clearly channels the Wine Focus. He reported today in the NYT on a panel tasting of Rosés from Provence. #1 and Best Value was an '09 Chateau du Roquefort Cotes de Provence Corall at $14.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `09 Château de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup Rosé.

I opened a bottle when down south in Milk River area last week. Everyone enjoyed this delicious rose and I intend to open another bottle this weekend! For me this is the best pinkie Lancyre has produced in the past three years.
Pale pink, almost medium-bodied with dried herbs and a juicy mid-palate. Great mouthfeel, especially in mid-palate. berryish, wonderful acidity. Winner at $19 Cdn.

Stay tuned, think David has a bottle lined up too?

Kelly, that Balbo seems to be a good wine eh. Might be here in town?

Well, I revisited the Lancyre with the girls at the Grill last night. Everyone thought my write-up was spot on except for some concern about a hint of bitterness on the finish. I agreed on reflection but the chefs pork kebabs a la minute helped the finish quite a bit.
So try food with this gem!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `09 Château de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup Rosé.

I opened a bottle when down south in Milk River area last week. Everyone enjoyed this delicious rose and I intend to open another bottle this weekend! For me this is the best pinkie Lancyre has produced in the past three years. Pale pink, almost medium-bodied with dried herbs and a juicy mid-palate. Great mouthfeel, especially in mid-palate. berryish, wonderful acidity. Winner at $19 Cdn.

Stay tuned, think David has a bottle lined up too?

Kelly, that Balbo seems to be a good wine eh. Might be here in town?

Well, I revisited the Lancyre with the girls at the Grill last night. Everyone thought my write-up was spot on except for some concern about a hint of bitterness on the finish. I agreed on reflection but the chefs pork kebabs a la minute helped the finish quite a bit.
So try food with this gem!

Bob, I agree with you 100% on the Lancyre rosé. It is IMO one of the best pink wines from anywhere. That is a nice price too. I don't really remember what I paid for the 09, but it was $15 or a bit more.

In case anyone is interested Steve still has some 2007 B-J rosé available. I tasted one recently and to my palate it is still pretty darn fresh. I'll spring for another case.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ernie in Berkeley

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

by Ernie in Berkeley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Two recent pinot noir roses:

2009 Skewis Rose of Pinot noir. Made as a saigne, bled out after a day of skin contact, this rose is the truest to its varietal that I know of. All of the pinot characteristics of forest floor, black tea, red berry are there, subtly, like the fragrances that waft into your window on a warm day, and very pretty in the glass. They only produce 50 cases a year and every year I kick myself for not getting more.

2008 Regis Bouvier Marsannay Rose. Confirming Burgundy's reputation as a minefield, this is thin, acidic, not much on either the nose or tongue. OK with the grilled halibut on a hot evening, though.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:33 pm

ernie in Berkeley wrote:Two recent pinot noir roses:

2009 Skewis Rose of Pinot noir. Made as a saigne, bled out after a day of skin contact, this rose is the truest to its varietal that I know of. All of the pinot characteristics of forest floor, black tea, red berry are there, subtly, like the fragrances that waft into your window on a warm day, and very pretty in the glass. They only produce 50 cases a year and every year I kick myself for not getting more.

2008 Regis Bouvier Marsannay Rose. Confirming Burgundy's reputation as a minefield, this is thin, acidic, not much on either the nose or tongue. OK with the grilled halibut on a hot evening, though.

Ernie, I am assuming that Skewis is a California wine, and with only 50 cases produced, I also wondered about the price point. That few cases made, I suspect it never makes it out of California either.
Bob Henrick
PreviousNext