The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Marguerite Carillon Pommard La Platière 1er Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2002 Marguerite Carillon Pommard La Platière 1er Cru

by Saina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:18 pm

When people tell me that Burgundy has no good QPRs I usually say a few rather inappropriate words which I will not repeat in front of such delicate eyes as might read this forum. There are tons of great values in Burgundy - some smashing stuff is available for 15-25 euros which age well in the mid-term and are true to the grape, terroir and domaine. One just has to know where to look. Unfortunately I did not know where to look with this wine. This sucks. It is not modern enough in style to appeal to those of the Mortet/Dugat-Py school; and certainly not traditional enough to appeal to my old fashioned palate. If this were 15 euros I wouldn't be so harsh on it, but at 30 euros this sucks. I'm rarely angry after tasting a wine, but this really, really sucks even though in its style paradigm I suppose this is a good wine.

• 2002 Marguerite Carillon Pommard La Platière 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (3/30/2006)
    Fairly dark. The nose is too oaky. It does have some sweet strawberry nuances, but the style is more like a parody of the new world coca cola style pinot. The palate is a little better with sweet fruit, fine acidity, too much oak, but one redeeming feature is the aftertaste which opens up (like a peacock's tail to use the age old cliché) like a Burgundy is supposed to and which is rather more savoury than the taste. A decent wine if you're not afraid of modern style Burgundy, but appalling value at almost 30 euros.

Posted from CellarTracker

Cheers,
Otto