The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

JJBiancamano

Rank

Cellar rat

Posts

11

Joined

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 am

Location

NYC/NJ

Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by JJBiancamano » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:14 pm

IMO, Bordeaux needs a few disasters or better yet one really big one. I mean a real honest to goodness act of God. Not that they would admit it in public, but only a meteor, on the magnitude of one that wiped out the dinosaurs is needed to justify the high prices asked for 05. A fireball that scorches the earth and wipes out vintages 06 & 07, 08 & 09, 10 & 11, 12 & 13, 14 15,16, 17, 18, & 19 will insure prices remain high for the best 05's making the market place very happy for those crazy whacky Bordelais. In fact, a meteor, combined with a black hole sucking the continent of Australia out into space, and an Earthquake knocking california into the sea could make the best 05's rise in price once the wines are in bottle. And of course assuming a great vintage does not take place for any where else in the world for those 13 years, they will be able to raise prices once they've replanted, cleaned out the big hole in the ground and are making wine again. I mean wouldn't you rather have to sell one great bottle worth $1000 than 10 bottles worth "ONLY" $500 each??

If great vintages happened all the wine, they couldn't raise prices. I mean just because California has shown you can do it for decades straight doesn't mean that a middling region like Bordeaux could do it. The reality is, great vintages do not come around all that often, and thats why they're called great. You see winemakers really want to work in the fields for 10 straight months ONLY to have their entire effort, and income, wiped out in a single cataclysmic event. . I am really special because I think this way. Keep in mind, a great vintage is when wines at all levels from top to bottom and from both banks get like 90 points, then and only then is it great. This usually does not happen more than once or twice a decade, ok maybe three times in a decade, or maybe like in Piedmont 5 times, or 7 years straight but thats it!! Winemakers would rather 8 disasters and one good year and one halfway decent year that they can sell to the Canadians and Chinese, but thats it!

So, if you ask me, many of the top Chateau are scanning the skies hoping that the big one shows up obliterating everything in its path so they can get even more money for the 2005s! Wine 101: Its all about economics, and mass hysteria.

http://www.westcoastwine.net/ubb/attachments/550542-etrnager.JPG
Last edited by JJBiancamano on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is what happens to you while
you're busy making other plans.
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1241

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:34 pm

JJBiancamano wrote:a middling region like Bordeaux


I had a hard time getting past that statement....

The link also did not work...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

834

Joined

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:28 am

Location

Bordeaux

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by AlexR » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:57 pm

Dear JJ,

I don't know why you wish bad luck to befall anyone, much less the people who make the best wine in the world (certainly the best on a consistent basis).

As for prices, the Bordelais charge what the market will bear. The dollar is weak, the Asians and Russians are up and coming, the world changes... It's hard to imagine wines reputed to be great (2005 great growths) crashing down in price, but then you never know, do you?
If the prices do backfire, then that'll be just kind of the laws of nature, won't it? Things are unpredictable - things like the 2006 vintage which is looking really good.

In any event, most people get far, far, far, far, far too hung up on vintages, always striving for "the best", but that's all part of the game ain't it?

I hope I meteor doesn't strike because if it does, I'm a goner. I live in Bordeaux.

Best regards,
Alex R.

P.S.: your Ch. Etranger link doesn't work
User avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Posts

3652

Joined

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Location

Norwich, UK

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Ian Sutton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:38 pm

I'd say "with all due respect I disagree" however the term "with all due respect" has seemingly come to represent "I have no respect for your opinion" so I won't go there :wink:

No-one wants a bad vintage - in fact good vintages year after year will bring greater prosperity and take the heat out of the market. Better 5 good years in a row than 1 great year, 2 average and 2 poor.

and what if 2005's fall in value - not as if it hasn't happened before. Sadly with wine bought as investment, this will occur, as people over-value the product and a price crash brings things back in line.

regards

Ian
User avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

7978

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Ummm. ...I believe this is a parody of a post on another board.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by James Roscoe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:54 pm

This is the funniest post I've read in a while. Kudos to Jamie for a brilliant return to WLDG. (I hope no one took this seriously!) The wit, the sarcasm, all in four inches. (Wait a second, let's not go there....)
User avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Posts

3652

Joined

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Location

Norwich, UK

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Ian Sutton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:13 pm

James Roscoe wrote: (I hope no one took this seriously!)

:oops:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3961

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Location

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Redwinger » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:27 pm

JJB,
Another great post. I'm glad to see at least a couple of non-North Americans took the bait. Were they Slimed or Primed...I always get confused?
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by James Roscoe » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:08 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
James Roscoe wrote: (I hope no one took this seriously!)

:oops:


No worries Ian, Jamie is the master at this sort of thing. Once you realize it's a parody it's funny, at least to those of us who follow the pretensions of the other American wine boards.
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1241

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm

Redwinger wrote:JJB,
Another great post. I'm glad to see at least a couple of non-North Americans took the bait. Were they Slimed or Primed...I always get confused?
Redwinger


Why are you `glad' someone got taken by this? I later read the original post on eRobertParker, and I guess I don't see the joke. Isn't this kind of reverse pretensionism of some sort.. `we're so not prima donnas'.. or something that sort??? Just a different sort of elitism in my book.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3961

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Location

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Redwinger » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Redwinger wrote:JJB,
Another great post. I'm glad to see at least a couple of non-North Americans took the bait. Were they Slimed or Primed...I always get confused?
Redwinger


Why are you `glad' someone got taken by this? I later read the original post on eRobertParker, and I guess I don't see the joke. Isn't this kind of reverse pretensionism of some sort.. `we're so not prima donnas'.. or something that sort??? Just a different sort of elitism in my book.

James,
I'm "glad" because I have a sense of humor (sure it is a personal thing) and find being "had" by a spoof at my expense a wonderful thing, being victimized almost daily. You should try it sometime!
If Alex or Ian are/were offended by my post then I assume they can speak for themselves as I hope they are capable of recognizing no ill intent.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1241

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by James Dietz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:19 am

Redwinger wrote:
James Dietz wrote:
Redwinger wrote:JJB,
Another great post. I'm glad to see at least a couple of non-North Americans took the bait. Were they Slimed or Primed...I always get confused?
Redwinger


Why are you `glad' someone got taken by this? I later read the original post on eRobertParker, and I guess I don't see the joke. Isn't this kind of reverse pretensionism of some sort.. `we're so not prima donnas'.. or something that sort??? Just a different sort of elitism in my book.

James,
I'm "glad" because I have a sense of humor (sure it is a personal thing) and find being "had" by a spoof at my expense a wonderful thing, being victimized almost daily. You should try it sometime!
If Alex or Ian are/were offended by my post then I assume they can speak for themselves as I hope they are capable of recognizing no ill intent.
Bill


Perhaps you missed my ironic tone.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

834

Joined

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:28 am

Location

Bordeaux

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by AlexR » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:22 am

Bill,

I wasn't offended, just defending a region I know and love that has been under fire recently.
Your irony went over my head: busy day, aversion to the Parker site so unaware of the post over there, etc.

All the best,
Alex
User avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Posts

3652

Joined

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Location

Norwich, UK

Re: Why Bordeaux secretly wants a Meteor to crash into them

by Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:02 am

AlexR wrote:Bill,

I wasn't offended, just defending a region I know and love that has been under fire recently.
Your irony went over my head: busy day, aversion to the Parker site so unaware of the post over there, etc.

All the best,
Alex

Ditto
It works because it's not so different to posts one occasionally sees. No offence taken.
regards
Ian

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign