The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for September: Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Rieslings and oysters at Dee Vine

by Andrew Bair » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Keith M wrote:Headed over on a typically stellar September afternoon in San Francisco to Dee Vine Wines and their new approach to hosting tastings that feel like cocktail parties with a convivial atmosphere, food pairings and, of course, wonderfully selected riesling. First up, the 2007 Solter Riesling Sekt from the Rheingau was a really beautiful wine—even more to my liking than the 2006 which had grown on me. A beautiful herbal and peach nose with ripeness goes down on the palate as delicate, beautifully crisp, yet rich in flavor. Pure fantastic finish. This is a really fun wine. After waiting in line a bit for some raw oysters and clams (delicious!), I headed over for a splash of the 2008 Fritz Haag Mosel Riesling from the Middle Mosel. The aromas are phenomenal and stony and it tastes cold, crisp, stony and precise. Very focused but with a bit of weight to balance the mineral focus. Superb match for the oysters. Stunning wine and great value. The 2008 Emrich-Schönleber Riesling Trocken from the Nahe had a spicy nose that suggested black fruit, but the wine itself was very inward, dark and hard to read. I would have thought it was shut down, but it seems a bit early for that. I didn't catch other opinions on that wine, but I found it very hard to read. The 2008 Gerhard Hattenheimer Schützenhaus Riesling Spätlese Trocken from the Rheingau had a nose of rich, really ripe fruit that was followed by mandarin juicy citrus in the mouth and a really cool layered approach to ripeness that still finished dry. An interesting wine. The 2008 Prinz Hallgartener Schönhell Riesling Kabinett Trocken, also from the Rheingau, offered a show-stopping nose of cardamom, indian spices and a feel of a multilayered cake. Oh yeah baby, bring it! Dry and tart lake water, reminded me of fishing for perch on the lake growing up. The wine screams seafood (or perhaps, for me, lakefood!). Fantastic grip (doubly so noted in my scribblings), acid backbone, playful. Fantastic! But just when you think things can't get better, head over to one of my favorite regions of Franken for the 2006 Hans Wirsching Iphöfer Julius-Echter-Berg Riesling Grosses Gewächs. Amazing depth on the nose, could sniff for hours. Textured fruit, the wine has presence. Pure and intense, paired amazingly with the wasabi on the oysters which suggests that though it is bone dry, it offers interesting qualities for pairing with spicy foods (and did awesomely with oysters). Incredibly pure—I adored it. Then onto the 2007 Knebel Winninger Röttgen Riesling Kabinett from the Middle Mosel which smelled rich and honey and tasted deep, delicious pear, quite juicy, deliciousness everyone will love.

Proceeding to the second table with spicy shrimp and three wines with a bit more weight and sweetness to balance that spice. The 2006 Maximin Grünhauser Abstberg Riesling Spätlese Superior #21 from the Ruwer offered a phenomenal nose and tasted strongly of tea leaves, barely-there stone, elegant, pinnacle of precipitousness, deliciousness and iced tea—yet more familiar than such a description of riesling would suggest. Interesting indeed. The 2008 Schmitges Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett Trocken from the Middle Mosel had a nice nose, but a bit harder to evaluate—still beautiful, though. Not my style for taste, though the weird layered tart and rich good fruit did have charms of its own, but not my thing. Wow, the 2007 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese #14 (also from the Middle Mosel)—utterly drinkable deliciousness with layered stone and peach skin on the nose. Fun! Fantastic rieslings on a fantastic afternoon.

Keith - Thanks for taking the time to post all of these notes!

The Knebel, Schafer, Wirsching, and Prinz all sound great. I have no experience with German Sekt, but the Solter sounds very interesting. Will have to try some German sparklers sometime.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Focus for September: Riesling

by Tim York » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:59 am

Graacher Himmelreich Riesling feinherb 2004 – Will Schaefer – Alc. 11%. Following Bob’s mediocre experience with a 5 year old basic Beyer Riesling, I did a quick survey of my cellar to identify wines possibly in the same boat and came up with four forgotten bottles of this. It is time to drink them but luckily they are far from wasted, only a slightly soggy finish being a possible indicator of the downwards slope.

The aromas on the nose were lively with a blend of white fruit, spice and minerals including petrol touches. The entry and mid-palate were excellent with light/medium body, gentle sweetness perfectly balanced by crisp and typically Mosel moreish acidity, the same fruit and aromas as on the nose and good grip. Curiously the after-tastes on the finish were comparatively soft and bland. Until our recent thread revealed large divergences in understanding, I would have described this as just “off-dry”; dry enough for most simply prepared sea food except oysters and similar molluscs (we had salmon), which I would not say of much halbtrocken and most demi-sec. Very enjoyable; 15.5/20+.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 am

Keith M wrote:2006 Maximin Grünhauser Abstberg Riesling Spätlese Superior #21

Does this imply that there are multiple bottlings of Abtsberg Superior?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Keith M wrote:2006 Maximin Grünhauser Abstberg Riesling Spätlese Superior #21
Does this imply that there are multiple bottlings of Abtsberg Superior?

It does not. It's a combo of what I copied from off the bottle and what DVW had on the tasting sheet--the info listed on the tasting sheet was incorrect so I copied down all the info I could. I have no information on whether there were multiple bottlings of the abstberg superior.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Alsace Grand Cru Wiebelsberg Riesling 1996 - Marc Kreydenweiss, Andlau – Alc. 12.5%.
Earlier in this WF, we had some discussion about unsatisfactorily acidic nature of a lot of 1996 Alsace Riesling. My view was partly based on an October 2007 look at this wine when I wrote -
C: Pale to medium yellow.
N: Quite developed showing round white fruit with attractive mineral complexity with the usual petrol notes quite in the background.
P: It was all there; subjectively bone dry (say Indice 1 on the Z-H scale), fragrant aromas, appealing acidity, some “gras” (literally = “fat”), complex minerals and good length. The problem for me was that the acidity is quite dominant and the palate therefore seems a bit out of balance.

I am glad to report that as a result of three extra years and/or bottle variation, the wine seems much more balanced. Colour has deepened to medium gold and honeyed acacia notes have become quite prominent on the nose with the petrol notes even less in evidence. On the palate the honeyed notes now balance the crisply appealing acidity and there was quite rich medium body and nice structural grip which I did not note before but was probably there. This is now an excellent food friendly dry Riesling; 16.5/20++
Tim York
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Odd, but I haven't had much Riesling since this thread began. Here is a report on a couple that couldn't be much different, yet they both come from the Finger Lakes:

2008 Rielsing Dry, Late Harvest, Bloomer Creek, Finger Lakes (NY): Kim Engle at Bloomer Creek has been doing some experimenting with his Riesling offerings and on a visit earlier this year this seemed like the most interesting. This is an unfiltered late harvest (picked around Thanksgiving - 3rd week in November for the non-USAians) version, slow fermented to dryness over the course of 7 months. Somewhat more golden than expected for an '08 at this stage. Initial impression of the nose is more gewurz-like with a bit of a leathery note. On the palate there is dried apricot, cider/apples, earth (label is correct in calling this earthy) with some lightly oxidative notes. Dry, with maybe a tiny touch of botrytis lurking in the background. Not too interesting at fridge temperature, but with a bit of air and warming, it really takes off, with some nice minerally length. Very schizoid right now, and I might not even guess Riesling if served blind. Tastes like it might have extended skin contact . Riesling off the beaten track. 13.2% abv, about $20.

2009 Gotham Project Riesling: Not really a TN, but from memory of a glass consumed on a sweltering hot day a few weeks ago at Terroir Wine Bar in Tribeca, NYC. This is the Finger Lakes Riesling that they are serving on draft. Bright, lively aromatics and palate. Citrus and slate, lovely light and clean. Off-dry, picture book stuff. Super refreshing when stepping in out of the heat. I pondered where they might be getting this before asking the bartender. It had brought to mind some of Johannes Reinhardt's wines from Anthony Road or maybe the bargain priced but delicious Circle Riesling from Red Newt. According to the bartender, the origin is a secret. Which I thought was funny, considering this is a place that is supposed to be all about terroir. Google to the rescue: it is apparently made at Lamoreaux Landing on Seneca. Nice stuff, better than I was expecting, given the general high quality of Rieslings on offer at Terroir.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Well, I finally joined this forum. Some posters may possibly remember me from on of the other popular wine forums out there.

Anyway, I am a big fan of German Rieslings, but am always open to trying Rieslings from elsewhere - be it Austria, Alsace, the Finger Lakes, or anywhere else.

By some coincidence, I happened to have one of the best dry Rieslings that I have ever had tonight. I couldn't have picked a better wine for my initial post on this board.

2005 Emrich-Schönleber Riesling Grosses Gewächs Halenberg
Certainly not the biggest Grosses Gewächs out there, but this may well have the most finesse of any first growth that I have had. The delicate, pure minerality is front and center in this medium to full-bodied, crisp, lightly creamy, and subtly beautiful example of Nahe Riesling. Bone dry, perfectly balanced, with excellent underlying acidity that makes you think that this came from a much cooler vintage than 2005. Not exactly lacking for perfume, either, with pears, nuts, oregano, and fresh flowers on the nose, with further notes of pineapples, roses, citrus fruits, tarragon, and bay leaves, and meaty/lavender notes on the finish. Really impressive length. Outstanding.

BTW, this Wine Focus gives me an excuse to open some of my more interesting bottles of Riesling, so I will definitely post more soon. :D

Ooh, I'm jealous. Schonleber's 2007 Halenberg GG was absolutely spectacular (one of my favourite trockens of that vintage, I thought it was right up there with the '07 Donnhoff Hermannshohle), I can certainly imagine the '05 would have been staggering.

Meanwhile, I love the fact that this Wine Focus is already past the 100 post mark and we are just halfway into the month! :)

Throwing out another note on the 2009 Leitz Dragonstone Riesling, which there's not much to say about other than it kicks all kinds of ass. Really fresh, bright Riesling fruit and minerality, lively acid spine and fantastic refreshment value. Yum!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:08 am

Frankland River (cool climate) area in Western Australia turns out some very nice wines but it is the Rieslings from Alkoomi and Frankland Estate that always appeal to me. I have good access here in AB so last weekend I managed to track down a `07 Rocky Gully Dry Riesling for around $20 Cdn.

WTN: `07 Rocky Gully Dry Riesling Frankland River, W Aust.

12.5% alc, SC, very appealing label. I tend to rather overchill my rieslings from Oz but this was delicious and a winner!!

Color. Medium straw, no yellow.
Nose. Some lovely aromatics, minerally tones, citrus, red BC apple. "Blackcurrant leaves" from across the table. Really? Oh, no gasolien.
Palate. Dry, hardly any RS, great acidity verging on bracing. Citrus, long finish with more minerals and unripe apple. Clean flavor profile here as one would expect. All you humble German fans do not know what you are missing!! Unmistakeable riesling from land of Oz.

**** anyone seen the Isolation Ridge Riesling? As an aside, found a leaker today. The `94 J J Prum Wehlener Sonnennuhr Spatlese. Keep your fingers crossed for me eh.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:As an aside, found a leaker today. The `94 J J Prum Wehlener Sonnennuhr Spatlese. Keep your fingers crossed for me eh.

The more leakers I find the less I worry. It's a pretty common thing with German Riesling, and rarely turns out badly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Salil wrote:
Throwing out another note on the 2009 Leitz Dragonstone Riesling, which there's not much to say about other than it kicks all kinds of ass. Really fresh, bright Riesling fruit and minerality, lively acid spine and fantastic refreshment value. Yum!

I haven't tried the 09 Dragonstone yet, but it is always a go-to QPR wine for me. The 2009 sounds as good as ever!

Anyway, there aren't many 2009s out around here yet, but the 09 Fitz-Ritter Dürkheimer Rittergarten Riesling Kabinett Trocken that I had yesterday was a really nice wine for only $17. Really nice minerality and crisp acidity, bright tropical fruit and lime notes, on the fuller side for a dry Kabinett, but quite well balanced. This is the first Fitz-Ritter wine that I have had, so I don't know much about them otherwise.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Joe Moryl wrote:Odd, but I haven't had much Riesling since this thread began. Here is a report on a couple that couldn't be much different, yet they both come from the Finger Lakes:

2008 Rielsing Dry, Late Harvest, Bloomer Creek, Finger Lakes (NY): Kim Engle at Bloomer Creek has been doing some experimenting with his Riesling offerings and on a visit earlier this year this seemed like the most interesting. This is an unfiltered late harvest (picked around Thanksgiving - 3rd week in November for the non-USAians) version, slow fermented to dryness over the course of 7 months. Somewhat more golden than expected for an '08 at this stage. Initial impression of the nose is more gewurz-like with a bit of a leathery note. On the palate there is dried apricot, cider/apples, earth (label is correct in calling this earthy) with some lightly oxidative notes. Dry, with maybe a tiny touch of botrytis lurking in the background. Not too interesting at fridge temperature, but with a bit of air and warming, it really takes off, with some nice minerally length. Very schizoid right now, and I might not even guess Riesling if served blind. Tastes like it might have extended skin contact . Riesling off the beaten track. 13.2% abv, about $20.

2009 Gotham Project Riesling: Not really a TN, but from memory of a glass consumed on a sweltering hot day a few weeks ago at Terroir Wine Bar in Tribeca, NYC. This is the Finger Lakes Riesling that they are serving on draft. Bright, lively aromatics and palate. Citrus and slate, lovely light and clean. Off-dry, picture book stuff. Super refreshing when stepping in out of the heat. I pondered where they might be getting this before asking the bartender. It had brought to mind some of Johannes Reinhardt's wines from Anthony Road or maybe the bargain priced but delicious Circle Riesling from Red Newt. According to the bartender, the origin is a secret. Which I thought was funny, considering this is a place that is supposed to be all about terroir. Google to the rescue: it is apparently made at Lamoreaux Landing on Seneca. Nice stuff, better than I was expecting, given the general high quality of Rieslings on offer at Terroir.

Hi Joe-

Thanks for the notes. I thought that the Bloomer Creek wines were quite nice when I visited the winery three years ago. Wasn't aware that they made any late harvest wines, though.

Gotham Project must be a special bottling made for Terroir?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:43 am

Leo Buring Leonay Eden Valley Riesling DWG17 2003

12% A/V and closed with a stelvin screw cap. Brilliant starbright appearance with a lime green/straw hue. Superb mineral-infused bouquet with crystalline lime juice, kaffir leaf with just a dusting of gunflint. The palate equally auspiscious with a rapier-like attack and line housing tightly coiled and explosive lime and mineral flavour that leads to a fascinating departure loaded with bucketloads of crunchy, juicy fruit and mouthwatering acidity. 93 points with a minimum 10 year evolution to peak and perhaps another decade of longevity in store for those with the patience and storage facilities to preserve the treasure trove inside the bottle.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks David, sounds like a riesling I could go for! Buring used to be seen around here.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:24 am

Some Finger Lakes Rieslings tasted in at the wineries in July 2010. Listed in alphabetical order.

RS is Residual Sugar measured in grams per Litre. While generally the higher the RS the sweeter the wine but the amount of acidity present will affect how sweet or dry the wine will taste. ABV is alcohol by volume. VG - Very Good.

Chateau La Fayette Reneau Dry Riesling 2009 RS10gL
Spicy fresh and dry with honeydew melon, greengage and soft lime flavours. Delicious, most enjoyable I have tasted. VVVG

Chateau La Fayette Reneau Semi-Dry Riesling 2008
Slight petrol nose, sweetness blunts acidity.

Chateau La Fayette Reneau Late Harvest Riesling 2008
Some botrytis, pleasantly sweet but not overly.

Dr Konstantin Frank Dry Riesling 2009 RS6gL 12%abv
Keuka Lake fruit, soft sweetish at first with soft acids on finish

Dr Konstantin Frank Dry Riesling 1997
Quite a stinky petrol nose, good body offering sweet mouth feel and a lingering finish.

Dr Konstantin Frank Semi-Dry Riesling 2009 RS21gL 11.5%abv
Pleasant off-dry clean refreshing quaffer with a spicy finish

Hearts & Hands Riesling Reserve 2009 RS 15gL 9.6acidity 12%abv
Restrained greengage flavours, soft acids, very easy drinking, just off dry.

Hearts & Hands Late Harvest Riesling 2008 RS 77gL 12%abv
About half the grapes were botrytised. This is honey sweet with a refreshing streak of minerality and orange peel flavours. Delicious.

Heron Hill Riesling 2007 RS1gL 12.5%abv
From a single vineyard. Sweet petrol front with minerality and tropical fruit flavours. Very spicy finish with a long finish.

Keuka Springs Dry Riesling 2009
Actually off dry with pear fruit flavours and noticeable acids on finish.

Keuka Springs Semi-Sweet Riesling 2009 RS32gL 12%abv
Medium-sweet on front palate with balancing acidity on finish.

King Ferry Treleaven Dry Riesling 2008 RS8gL 10.9%abv
Cold fermented, made from estate fruit. Good body, slight oiliness and sharp acids on finish.

King Ferry Treleaven Semi-Dry Riesling 2008 RS25gL
Finger Lakes appellation as some fruit bought in from Seneca Lake. Medium body, medium fruit.

Lakewood Semi Dry Riesling 2008 RS30gL 11%abv
Very fruity, apricot flavours off dry but not sweet, gentle acids.

Lakewood Dry Riesling 2008 RS8.5gL 11%abv
Apple flavours with tangy finish, clean finish.

Lamoreaux Landing Dry Riesling 2009
Tasty lemon lime flavours, balanced and soft.

Lamoreaux Landing Dry Riesling ‘Round Rock Vineyard’ 2009
Creamy minerality, clean lime flavours gentle acids. VG

Lamoreaux Landing Dry Riesling ‘Red Oak Vineyard’ 2009 RS14gL
Sweeter and seems blander then Round Rock, some acids on finish.

Lamoreaux Landing Dry Riesling ‘Yellow Dog Vineyard’ 2009 RS16gL
Crisp apple lime refreshing sherbert flavours, crisp acidity, really good, well balanced VVG

Lamoreaux Landing Semi-Dry Riesling 2009 RS18gL
Vineyard blend. Seems lacking acidiy and hence somewhat bland after previous, but pleasant drinking and there’s a pleasant uplift of acidity on finish.

Ravines Wine Cellar Dry Riesling 2008 3gL 12.5%abv
Dry and austere and tight fruits at first opening up to some florality.

Ravines Wine Cellar Dry Riesling ‘Argetsinger Vineyard’ 2008 3gL 12.5%abv
Tight mineral base with green apple and spicy flavours.

Ravines Wine Cellar Dry Riesling 2006
Petrol character developing in this older wine, subdued acidity.

Sheldrake Point Dry Riesling 2007
From estate fruit. Petrol nose which follows on to palate, tangy finish.

Sheldrake Point Late Harvest Riesling 2008 RS115gL 6.6 acid 13.7abv
Made from ‘heavily’ botrytised estate fruit. Sweet/acid seesaw on palate, some orange blossom, hot finish

Sheldrake Point Riesling Ice Wine 2008* RS164gL 12.6%abv
*harvested in early 08 from 07 growing season. Able to make ice wine ‘roughly one year in two’. Luscious ripe sweetness with decent balancing acidity.

Standing Stone Riesling 2009 RS28gL
Angular with a sweet edge, greengage flavours good balance.

Swedish Hill Dry Riesling 2009 RS10gL
Winemaker Ian Barry says “2009 was a really great Riesling year in Finger Lakes, it was cool giving racy acidity. The wine is made in lots of small lots using different yeasts and then blended to give the desired result.”
I found it crisp with very green apple tones, has a depth and body, VG

Swedish Hill Semi-Dry Riesling 2009 RS20gL 12%abv
Made from mostly Seneca Lake fruit, this was very pleasant with sweetish front palate and lots of crisp green apple fruit flavours. Has a long finish with acids developing.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 pm

VVVG set of notes Peter! I am hoping to get back to the FInger Lakes next spring for another tasting tour. I would like to have seen notes on the Wiemer Rieslings in your list, but it appears you did not get to visit.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:43 am

2009 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Riesling Senior Faß 6 (Saar)
Awesome stuff. Packed with bright, racy fruit that ranges from tropical melon and pineapple to tarter pear and lime flavours over a bed of minerals, there's a sense of incredible freshness here with electric acidity that keeps it very precise and gives it an almost chiselled texture, and this finishes long with just a faint hint of sweetness.

2007 Weingut Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Rottland Riesling trocken Alte Reben (Rheingau)
Good grief. This tastes like Steinertal! Vividly stony and rocky, almost austere at first and tasting as if it was sculpted from a slab of marble - with a little air this really gains in richness and depth, expanding to show ripe pear, yellow fruited flavours and herbal accents around the firm mineral base while retaining fantastic acidity and a sense of clarity and freshness throughout. There's a sense of power without weight here, impressive length and perfect balance. Stunning.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:00 am

Sam Platt wrote:2004 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

Light yellow. Just a hint of sulphur which blew off after 15 minutes in the decanter. Floral nose (honeysuckle) with a bit of spice (cayenne?) in the background. Super sweet with lots of honey, melon and vanilla. Extended minerally finish. Luscious as has been nearly every Prum wine I have ever tasted. This one may need a few years yet as it was pretty acidic even after time in the decanter. I've got one more bottle that I will stick away until about 2014.

Sam, I have a leaking `94 but hope it will turn out fine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:04 am

Salil wrote:Bob... if you like Clare/Victorian Riesling, look west at Frankland Estate. Some stunning dry wines being produced there- the single vineyard rieslings are really impressive (up there with the best of Grosset IMO), and very reasonably priced - around $18-25 USD.

Meanwhile, 2004 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese is so, so good right now. But there are others as well. More later. ;)

Picked up an `08 Lehmann Eden Valley, pass on a `05 Alkoomi cos store was way too warm and not much wine turnover. 600 beers to choose from however and a couple of Ukraine sparklers!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote: I would like to have seen notes on the Wiemer Rieslings in your list, but it appears you did not get to visit.

Just got tired of typing up notes :)

Hermann J. Wiemer

Hermann has now retired and the winery is operated by co-owner Oskar Bynker and winemaker Fred Merwarth.

70% of their vines are Riesling and 85% of their fruit comes from their own estate vineyards.

Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling 2008 9gLRS 12%abv
Clean delicate understated apricot and lime flavours, soft and delightful with a medium long finish. This is their biggest seller, they make 3.5- 4K cases annually. Fred said “everything we do is geared to this wine; all the other wines are a deviation from this.”

Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling ‘HJW Vineyard’ 2008 7gLRS 12.3%abv
From theor oldest vineyard adjacent to the winery planted by Herman with vines he’d brought from Bernkastel in Germany. Natural fermentation lasted 8 months “gains softness during this long fermentation” said Fred.
Soft texture, dry and shy, no strong flavours.

Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling ‘Magdelena Vineyard’ 2008 14gLRS 12.5%abv
Tangy with peach and stone fruit flavours, good texture, smooth and silky long dry finish. From a warmer location vineyard named after Hermanns mother.

Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling Reserve 2008 8gLRS 12%abv
Taken from the best components, this comprises 65% Magdelena, 25% Josef and 10% HJW vineyards.
Soft and forward with a really enjoyable mouthfeel, some citrus and long finish.

Hermann J. Wiemer Riesling ‘HJW Vineyard’ 2009 unfinished tank sample
Finished fermentation two weeks previously: Tangy apple s, toast (from yeasts). To be bottled in August and bottle aged from 6-8 months before release.

Hermann J. Wiemer Riesling ‘Magdelena Vineyard’ 2009 unfinished tank sample
Just finished fermenting. Crisp green apples, angular with high acids.
Hermann J. Wiemer Riesling ‘Josef Vineyard’ 2009 unfinished tank sample.

Still cloudy, just been racked & chilled to 0C. Fred says “not finished, will likely go into blends.”
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:15 am

Very nice - thanks. I have a couple of bottles of Wiemer Riesling in the cellar that I am aging out of sheer curiosity to see what happens.

Last night:

2001 Muller-Catoir Haardter Burgergarten Riesling Spatlese
This is one 2001 that never quite shut down. It got a little shy, but never totally mute like some others. It's back now & ready to drink, if not fully mature. It remains in a tropical vein, and there's some of that petrol, but mostly is crystaline in its purity, and very refreshing. Delicious right now with plenty of time left.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:59 am

Persimmon Creek Riesling 2006 10%abv
Georgia USA

Floral and soft, and developing petrol characteristics (which I guess would become even more pronounced if I had kept it longer), slightly flabby imo, I would have preferred more acidity though my son (who doesn't like acidic wines) enjoyed it greatly.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Ok, you've got me there. I have never tasted a Georgia Riesling.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok, you've got me there. I have never tasted a Georgia Riesling.

I've actually tasted the Riesling and several other wines from Persimmon Creek.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 pm

2006 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Berg
This wine could have been great. The initial aromatics and flavors are beguiling. The breadth of texture is lovely. Then the alcohol kicks in and ruins everything. It's "Absolut Riesling." Damn. I am convinced once again that evn dry Riesling should never have more than 12.5 or maybe 13% alcohol. 12% is better.
PreviousNext