The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Burgs, 1 German

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 3 Burgs, 1 German

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:41 pm

2002 Maximin Grunhauser (von Schubert) Riesling QbA
I'm a huge fan of this estate, even on QbA level, but this didn't do a lot for me. Nice sweet limeade and apple fruit, a touch of slate, but just alittle too sweet for me (matched with takeout Indian). Decent acidity. One nice thing is low (8%) alcohol, I liked it a bit better as an apertif next day. B

2004 Fougeray en Beauclair Bourgogne (rouge)
Now this isn't consider a top producer, but I've had decent and fairly priced wines from them before. Of course, after I picked this up I saw a note describing it as green, thin, stemmy, and undrinkable. So opened with trepidation. Actually, this isn't a wine I'd go purchase again, but I could live with it if poured at a party. I find it a little short and lacking concentration, but not green. Just simple cherry-fruited Pinot. B-/c+

2004 Catherine and Claude Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne (rouge)
Whoooo hoo, this is more like it. Pure, clean ,and tasty; black cherry fruit framed by rocks/flint and a light hint of moss. Delicious lighter-weight Burg that is quite pleasing. This is $20 now, so not the bargain of yestervintages, but worth the tariff. B++

2002 Francoise and Denis Clair "Les Murgers de Dents de Chien" St. Aubin 1er Cru
Sweet pear fruit surrounded by toasty oak (more than I remember in 2001) and minerals. The fruit is full and ripe, but there is acidity that keeps in lively in the mouth. I think this needs a little time for the oak to integrate, but in time will be a nice Burg- could pass for a Puligny now. A bit much for a panko-crusted flounder dish, I should have gone with a Chablis I considered. B for now, with B+/A- potential (I'll try again in 2 years, I worry these days re long aging of white Burgs).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.