The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: DP 90, Sauzet 92 and 80s Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: DP 90, Sauzet 92 and 80s Bordeaux

by Jay Labrador » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:29 pm

From Tuesday lunch at Terry's Segundo Piso with Juan Carlos de Terry personally preparing the meal!

Dom Perignon 1990 – Full bodied. Still youthful and lacking the toasty character that age brings to champagne. Smooth and powerful with a good deal of fruit. Good to drink now but I think more age can only improve it. Like the Sauzet (see below) also a great match for the lobster, with the crisp acidity of the Champagne cutting through the richness of the cream sauce.

Cos d’Estournel 1986 – Very dark, youthful color. Tobacco on the nose. Meaty. Still a bit og tannic grip on the finish. An hour in the glass made the nose more complex with Indian spices/curry coming out. Drinking very well now. With the steak, the wine seemed to get sweeter.

Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru 1992 – Beautiful lemon/gold color. Honeyed, nutty nose. Smoky, very silky and gentle wine. Some spice on the finish. A great complementary match for the lobster with morels in a cream sauce.

Lynch Bages 1989 – Like the Cos, very dark, youthful looking wine. Smooth. Dry, savory wine. Smoky. A great concentration of berry fruit. All the fruit in this makes it taste younger than it is. Drinking nicely but has the stuffing to last another decade.

Yquem 1989 – From a half bottle and my contribution. Beautiful deep gold color. Very fresh. Has elements of burnt sugar and marmalade. Gentle on the palate but has a powerful finish. Excellent drinking now but has a long life ahead.
no avatar
User

Paul Savage

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

Re: WTN: DP 90, Sauzet 92 and 80s Bordeaux

by Paul Savage » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:11 pm

A very nice set of wines! Thanks for the notes. I haven't tried the '86 Cos or '89 Lynch Bages yet....