The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Small Wine Shops VS Larger Stores

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Small Wine Shops VS Larger Stores

by James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:38 pm

As I live near the wine mecca that is the District of Columbia, I am not allowed to complain too much, despite the fact that traffic prevents me from getting down there more than 6 - 7 times a year. We have a great BAWS with great staff that knows my taste and with whom I have a good relationship. There are good stores in Baltimore and Annapolis too. I do live in the one county (Prince George's) that is generally bereft of any decent wine stores. Woe is me!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I do live in the one county (Prince George's) that is generally bereft of any decent wine stores. Woe is me!

My town is dry, so don't complain too loudly. I have to go to the next town over which has a limit of 14% alcohol for the beverages they do allow.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 pm

RonicaJM wrote:My town is dry, so don't complain too loudly. I have to go to the next town over which has a limit of 14% alcohol for the beverages they do allow.

I will proudly state I do not live anywhere near Texas Stadium and Jerry Jones aka the Anti-Christ. That is your problem Ronica. There is always room for more Redskins fans. (Not that Danny-boy Snyder is any great shakes as an owner.)
Hail to the Redskins!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Jenise wrote:
Everybody doesn't need to carry everything. .

Thank you, Jenise. In October it will be a year of being open. I can say time flew, but I don't remember the time, all I have been doing is working... :shock:

You bring up a good point, and that is one I have been in debates with many family members. "You need to carry Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio" , "Yellow Tail Syraz is a must, people love it..." "What, your not carry Kendal Jackson?"

I can go on, but, I believe people are beginning to be more daring and learning to try different grapes. However, I still "bend" for some customers, because, they are my customers and I have a family to feed. But, I learned that you CAN NOT please everyone. When I first opened the store I did stray from my initial business plan. I cannot tell you how many cases of wine I got for customers that were just sitting in my cellar for months... I was trying to please everyone...

I got to a point when I become more comfortable saying, "Sorry, I do not carry "X" wine, but, tell me what it tastes like and I can find something comparable." Most people are often open to it and most consumers, I believe, are still discovering their palates, that if I offer a wine with the same grape or similar style, they end up liking that one better. In addition, I can save them some money. And with a little education, discover there are numerous styles of the same grape (ie "Terroir") and that there are numerous grapes. Thats when I offer them to come to my free Tastings on Saturdays or sign up for our wine classes...

However, some people only drink the same wine or are getting a gift for someone who only drinks this wine, etc... And I understand, and if they live in the neighborhood, I may carry a case or two. And when they are ready, then maybe, they will try something different. But, only when they are ready.

That is the beauty of wine, it is complex, and if affects everyone differently...
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:06 am

Good for you Remo. I see you carry the Artazuri, the rose is a winner as I reported this past summer.
Previous