The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine scam?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Wine scam?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm

I got a phone call today from fast-talking "Chad," representing a wine broker called Montesquieu (http://www.montesquieu.com). He somehow had a few tidbits about our wine preferences and then waxed rhapsodic for several minutes about an Australian Cab Sav (Duncan Block from Eagle's Rock? or whatever). Normally $70/bottle, I could get a case for $35 ($540).

After I could get a word in edgewise, I told him to take a deep breath and a glass of wine, that I never bought things from strangers on the phone, and that I would research him.

I googled the name and got several hits, including an interesting discussion about how they may relabel and misrepresent their overpriced wine.

So waddaya know about this firm?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Wine scam?

by Brian K Miller » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:34 pm

There was something on winegeeks.com about this firm, I believe.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:51 pm

I didn't bother taking down the name of the company, but I got a phone call like that this week. Claimed to buy out entire lots of small production wines. Sounds like a private label operation. Anyway, I got off the phone with him as soon as I could.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Check out this exchange on http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum8/HTML/000285.html

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:32 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I got a phone call today from fast-talking "Chad," representing a wine broker called Montesquieu .....

I got the same phone call tonight (right in the middle of Double Jeopardy. :twisted: ) I meant to ask him how he got my number but also couldn't get a word in edgewise. Finally I hung up on him. He called me back and said that somehow we'd been disconnected. I told him that was because I hung up on him and hung up again. I then called my local grape grower toplace an oder for my home made wines and the call waiting thing kept beeping in my ear. Could these people be using the "location" below our names at this site to look us up? There is a NY State law against telephone solicitation and I've registered to not be called.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:15 am

Yup, he called me the other day, trying to get me to buy 2 cases of a Syrah from Monterey at $42/btl case price (normally $60). I told him no and he kept talking so I hung up. He called back a couple hours later - I said "I don't want to talk to you and hung up again". Since then there have been quite a few hangups to my answering machine. I assume those ae mostly him since I get very few calls in general and almost none trying to sell me something.

Isn't he in violation of the no-call law if your name is on the national list?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 am

Doug Surplus wrote:Isn't he in violation of the no-call law if your name is on the national list?

Sure is ... there's some procedure for filing a complaint, although in my experience (I tried complaining about fax spam once or twice), the regulators just send you a note saying, in essence, "Thanks for complaining, sucker. We'll keep this in the records and if enough people complain about the same number, we might take some kind of action, but we'll never tell you."

Still, it might be worth a try, and your state regulators might possibly be more interested than the feds.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:14 am

Is it not easier to ask for contact details and then advise that they'll be reported for a breach. It doesn't half make them backpeddle normally.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:02 am

Wine Scam? Definitely.

Check out this thread on the Parker forum for some more info:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=104928
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:05 am

Get their name and phone number and write it down with the date. Then tell them, "Take me off your phone calling list." (I usually add, "Never call here again or I'll report you."

The one time that some phone solicitator did call again, about a month later, I informed him that I was reporting him to the FCC--and I did, with the contact info I had previously obtained. There are some big fines possible. At any rate, that was the last I heard of him.

BTW, the national do not call registry works pretty well, but you have to renew it every five years. And, peculiarly, it costs to do it via internet, but free if you send a postcard. Go figure.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:34 am

Howie Hart wrote:He called me back and said that somehow we'd been disconnected. I told him that was because I hung up on him and hung up again.

Howie, I admire your gutsiness. Good man, good man!! :lol:

Telephone solicitations are annoying, that's for sure. But many of them are pre-recorded, so as soon as I hear the damn drivel I instantly hang up.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca