The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26651

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Jenise » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Your example suggests you mean alcohol alternatives, so I'll stick with those: up until a month ago, I would have simply said "the occasional single malt scotch".

Beer I like okay but drink so very very rarely that it wouldn't have merited a mention. Then I spent three weeks in China where temps averaged 100 degrees every day and if you didn't need the beer to chase the very hot foods of Sichuan and Chongqing provinces you needed it to strip the coal dust and smog out of your throat. No drink has ever been as welcome or neccessary, and I drank more beer in three weeks than I drank in 25 years since I moved back from England combined--every day at lunch and most dinners. Beer, especially with Chinese food, will probably get served here a lot more often.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Posts

2024

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Location

Ontario, Canada

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Paul B. » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Seriously, Paul? Why not just brush 'em? ;)

Now, now ... :twisted: Even regular use of tooth-whitening toothpaste wasn't enough. The dentist was, of course, happy to offer whitening services every time, until I wisened up ... :mrgreen:

It's true. Green tea will not stain your teeth. I actually found the transition remarkably easy, which was not what I was anticipating earlier on. I will still have the occasional coffee, but I don't miss it at all and in fact feel better after green tea than I do after coffee.
Hybrid Wines Online:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Posts

10494

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Location

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Diet cola, tea, water, single malts, German pilsners and other fine beer
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
User avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

232

Joined

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Location

Virginia

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:20 pm

Iced tea, water, fruit juices (mostly apple), a nice Lagavulin on a cold evening, occaisionally cognac and a cold beer on a hot day. But wine and port are my poisons of choice.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
User avatar
User

David Nelson

Rank

Cellar rat

Posts

18

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:32 pm

Location

St. Louis, MO

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by David Nelson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Tea in the morning (usually a single estate Assam); plenty of homebrew; plenty of craft beer; plenty of Scotch (mostly singles, but I love a good blend like Islay Mist or Black Bottle too). Oh, and water, lots of water.

Cheers,

Dave
User avatar
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Posts

4071

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Location

Helsinki, Finland

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Otto » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:06 pm

What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?


I'm almost as fond of good beer as I am of good wine. Othewise it's tea, tea, tea. Also I drink a bit of tea. Oh, I almost forgot: tea. Tea, tea, tea, tea. :) Tea.

I won't turn down a good espresso or a single malt from the southern parts of Islay, but tea is what I drink.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

126

Joined

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Location

Dallas, TX

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by RonicaJM » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 pm

95% of my liquid intake is water. The other 5% is wine and then the occasional Rolling Rock.
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

174

Joined

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:55 am

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by alex metags » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:55 pm

A cup of coffee in the morning then tea and good old tap water for the rest of the day.

In the alcoholic beverage realm, every Tuesday I knock back a pint or two of Guinness with friends at the local British pub, and will occasionally have Czech beer or Tiger Beer. Also go with some Asian friends to a Korean soju joint fairly regularly.

cheers,
al
User avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

199

Joined

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:53 pm

Location

Seattle

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by MtBakerDave » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:16 am

I used to be a big connoisseur of beer, but once my wine drinking really took off, beer stopped tasting so good to me. No acidity - no balance. Ouch! I still have a beer sometimes when the cuisine calls for it, and I would go to something a little roasty - a brown ale or something like that.

Water (tap) a lot - we have great water in the south end of Seattle.

Chamomile tea late in the evening. Coffee (artisan roasted) in the morning. Usually a blend of 2/3 French Roast decaf and 1/3 Kenya.

Single malt scotch on occasion. Lagavulin is my fave.

Dave
Last edited by MtBakerDave on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Posts

6990

Joined

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Location

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:52 am

RonicaJM wrote:95% of my liquid intake is water. The other 5% is wine and then the occasional Rolling Rock.


Same for me. Minus the Rolling Rock.

Water is just so clean.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by ChefCarey » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:03 am

Coffee, French roast, ground fresh.
Tea
Skim milk
Blended scotch, Dewar's, specifically
(an oddity I've always noticed in films - people [mostly guys] walk into bars and order "scotch." There's not a real scotch drinker on the planet who walks into a bar and orders a generic scotch.)
Single-malt scotch
Seltzer
Juices
Water
User avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

832

Joined

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm

Location

Asheville, NC

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Dave Erickson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:41 am

diet ginger ale (supermarket brand, cheapest available)

gin & tonic in summer, whisky in winter
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

46

Joined

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:22 pm

Location

wine country,sonoma county CA

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Carlo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:20 pm

I don`t care what kind of beer as long as it`s COLD
User avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

83

Joined

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Location

Dayton OH

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:10 pm

Water and coffee, mostly, but the occasional vodka and cranberry or rum and diet coke if out somewhere that doesn't have drinkable wine. Also the occasional Margerita with Mexican food, and Mojito with Cuban or Carribean. I don't generally like beer, but have been known to appreciate a Singha with fiery Thai food...
Cheers,

Niki
User avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1517

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Location

Phoenix metro

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:04 pm

water
raspberry lime rickey (summer)
tanqueray and tonic (summer) or Tanqueray 10 martini
single malts, preferably an islay malt
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by TimMc » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:13 pm

Micro brews

Brandy
User avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

131

Joined

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:32 am

Location

Alberta Canada

Re: What do you drink when you aren't drinking wine?

by Ruth B » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:32 pm

Wow,
My catalogue is even longer than Robin's list and is very weather dependant!

*micro brew (on hot days)
alternate gin and tonic
cider
*lambic beer (on sunny cool days)
*single malt scotch (on cool rainy days)
*cognac (on really cold days)
*occassional highballs where drinking establishment has a scary bad selection for wine or scotch
*

of the non alcohol variety
great coffee
good tea
bubbly water
lemonaide
great hot chocolate

my goodness I consume a lot of liquids!

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jim Grow and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign