The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 cdP and '00 Bourgogne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1995 cdP and '00 Bourgogne

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:06 pm

Sunday I took Betsy's mom to airport, then returned home to follow Betsy's instructions re cooking some duck legs (she was playing). Recipe-following is not my forte, but I made it through a simple though very good recipe that Betsy has done before (Madeliene Kamman-season legs, slather with mustard, coat with breadcrumbs, drizzle with butter, 2 hours at 375F). I also did some green beans and potatoes with basil. Betsy came home, we had a nice dinner with a bottle (my last bottle?) of the 2000 Michel Lafarge Bourgogne. I'm a relentless experimenter, and almost never buy wines by the case except for an occasional ageable Bordeaux, but this was one of the exceptions. And I think this was my last bottle. Adn that makes me sad. Pretty cherry and raspberry fruit, with just a hint of bitterness to keep it interesting. Good acidity, mineral and floral notes. With air the earthy notes take wing. A simple Bourgogne, a non-herarlded vintage, take your shots, but this is a good wine. A-/B+

Tonight Betsy rewarded me for a big afternoon of car-haggling by making a meatloaf recipe I had sent her (Sunset magazine from years ago, a lamb and feta meatloaf). Very good, served with brown rice,red chard, and the 1995 Berard P & F "Cuvee Prestige" Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Tight at first, then warm ripe red fruit and a little earth appear as it gets some air. Ends up a pleasant round red wine, but doesn't show much complexity or depth. Not flawed, tired, or over the hill, just a tad dull. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.